Amore Beach Hotel

83100, Greece

More about Samos

Samos - river crossing in the NIghtingale ValleySamos - river crossing in the NIghtingale Valley

along the road to Platanosalong the road to Platanos

Ayia Zoni (St. Zoni) Monastery: churchAyia Zoni (St. Zoni) Monastery: church

Villa Kambos: view of the Aegean SeaVilla Kambos: view of the Aegean Sea

Pythagorion/Airport

by NBUK

Hi,
I am thinking of booking a holiday in Pythagorion, but the travel brochure says that there may be some noise from the airport.
Is it really much of a problem? I can't imagine there would be that many flights.
Thanks,

by SWFC_Fan

Hi

If you are in Pythagorion itself, noise from the airport will not be a problem at all.

If the brochure warns of aircraft noise, then it is likely that your accommodation is in an area called Potokaki Beach, which is literally at the end of the runway! This is where I stayed a few years ago. It is about 25-30 minutes walk to the centre of Pythagorion, but there are a handful of shops and tavernas around Potokaki Beach.

As you say, the number of flights isn't that great, but you certainly get a great view of them as they glide in just above you on the beach. The noise is pretty loud (not deafening, but loud enough!) and you may also find that a fair few flights land early in the morning, giving you a very effective 6am wake up call!

It wouldn't put me off staying there again, but if you are worried about the noise I'd recommend finding somewhere closer to the centre of Pythagorion.

Best wishes,

Jonathan

RE: RE: Pythagorion/Airport

by NBUK

Yes, the place I am looking at are the Nikos appartments which are close to Potokaki beach.
Hmm, I'm having second thoughts now.
I have a 1 year old too and wouldn't want a disturbed night.

by everdawn57

u d better find a place sto stay in Pythagorion town, much calmer , less noisier and really beautiful

by MaBerr

Hi NBUK for the last two years we have stayed at the Anthis apts near Pythagorion, these are just 1 km from airport and we did not notice the aircraft
at all

RE: RE: Pythagorion/Airport

by runnerbean

There are early morning flights, but there are no night flights in Samos because it is a difficult place to land a plane.

Travel Tips for Samos

Convenient Mid-Island Lunch Stop

by mazzap about Taverna Stamna (at Pyrgos)

We stopped here for lunch on day 2 of our car tour of the island. A great local restaurant with a typical Greek hospitality you hear about & would hope to find!

The owner/chef/waiter/barman/runaround one man band took us through to his kitchen & tempted us with several dishes of the day that he had cooking away & he had a bbq ready to prepare the biggest pork chops I'd ever seen! (see my pic!)

A friendly, conveniently situated restaurant, easy to park right outside & very reasonable! The cats were so cute there too :-) The bbq meat we all tried was excellent - so much of it too!

Balos Beach – hidden gem

by vtveen

Although well signposted along the main road, I think Balos Beach is still a hidden gem in the western part of the south coast of Samos. After a couple of narrow and steep hairpins on the old road (they were constructing a new part) we reached the little settlement of Balos.

Just some tavernas, accommodations, a little harbour, a couple of shops and houses and a long rather sandy beach. We walked along the beach till the other end with a taverna, called Esperos. This one, ‘at the end of the Samos world’, has some rocks and caves nearby. There is also a little blue white church.

During our visit (late May) we saw just a couple of people on the beach, which has stunning views along the coast towards Kerkis Mountains and some neighbouring islands in the Aegean Sea. Because it is not as easy accessible (you really need a car or scooter if not staying in Balos) than other beaches, I suppose even in high season it must be rather quiet on Balos Beach.

Comments