Hotel Polikrates

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

Good For No Data

More about Samos

Samos - sometimes stepsSamos - sometimes steps

Platanos: plane tree squarePlatanos: plane tree square

Ayia Zoni (St. Zoni) Monastery: bell towerAyia Zoni (St. Zoni) Monastery: bell tower

Villa Kambos: Greek/Dutch ownersVilla Kambos: Greek/Dutch owners

Greek Island Ferries

by Palms

Hey

My wife and I have now settled our plans - and hope to travel from Kusadasi (Turkey) via Samos thru some other greek islands, over to Athens. Two questions:

a) We will begin our travels on the 22 July 04, do we need to book ferry tickets before hand, or can we just rock up on the day and expect to get a berth?

b) If we need to pre book - then does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this? I have found a couple of websites that offer it, but only in combination with their choice of accomodations - and we on a tight budget so hoping to hostel it (or camp or pension).

Any suggestions well appreciated.

Cheers
Drew

Re: Greek Island Ferries - booking

by Malcolm_Ostermeyer

Hi there Drew;
The ferries get busy in July and August, and I feel it's probably better to book in advance - especialy if you're travelling at the weekend.
I've just booked ferry tickets (Rafina to Andros in July and August) from a company called Paleologos. who are based in Heraklion. Their web site is www.ferries.gr/booking/ and they seem to cover all Greek domestic routes. I have to say they were very eficient and helpful, and the web site is easy to navigate. They couriered the tickets to me here in Northern Ireland using DHL, although there was a charge for this (about 25 Euro). However, I believe you can pick the tickets up from their port agents when travelling.
Hope this helps!
Best wishes,
Malcolm

by magdaki

Hi!
have you tried this website? www.greekferries.gr
from my experience, you only need to book early if you have a car. But it might be a good idea to buy your tickets as soon as you know when you are leaving for the next island (maybe 2-3 days ahead). maybe if you travel around the 15th of august it will be hard to find tickets as it's a national holiday, and a very busy time for the islands.
I hope this helps a bit. Have a great trip! :-)
Magda

by EPEKINDINI

Do it!!! Your talking about the summer Greece is going to host the Olympics. Some of the websites the other guys mention are pretty good and reliable. I have used them b/4 and had no problems.

by StefanosS

Hi Drew
The best database for greek ferries is the site:
Booking in advance is not necessary but it is better to do so to avoid surprises (like a big group travelling on a specific date). It is possible that this year some lines will be overcrowded, mainly the ones leading to and from Athens (Pireus or Rafina). Check for possible last time alterations of timetables.

Take care
Stefanos
Thessaloniki, Greece

Travel Tips for Samos

One Of The Best Views Across The Harbour

by mazzap about Varka

On the day we sat at this restaurant it was so hot; I remember the breeze coming off the sea was hot too! But the food we ate made up for our discomfort - the service was not great so don't visit if you are in a hurry to catch a ferry perhaps!

This restaurant is the last one to the right of the harbour & the view across the bay really is stunning. Well worth a visit for a relaxing lunch. There is a large seating area to one side around a bar so I imagine it gets quite busy in the evening too.

We were fascinated by the octopus hanging over the restaurant's sign to dry - see my pic!! We had the cheese pies, giant beans & a Greek salad (as we always seem to do!!) The food seemed a bit plain & lacked imagination but it was all fresh & nicely presented. The accompanying bread was drizzled with olive oil & herbs then toasted which was a nice touch!

Not so pretty

by solopes

The third Greek Island that we visited was the least interesting of all (we used it as a starting point for a day trip to Turkey, and that was the best. But time passed quickly and without boring moments.

Comments