, Tsilivi, 291 00, Greece

More about Zante Maris Hotel

A great hotel to stay in

by TripAdvisor Member bean68

My husband and I have just returned from a week at the Zante Maris Hotel. The staff were very friendly and helpful and the hotel was spotless! Our room was cleaned thoroughly every day and the sheets and towels were changed daily. We stayed half board but after the second night decided to eat out every night as I personally found the food a bit boring and felt that we were missing out on on all the lovely greek tavernas in Tsilivi. However we could not fault the breakfast as there was everything you could ever want for breakfast and plenty of it. The location of the hotel is great.. right on the beach and just on the edge of the town, which takes about a 3 minute walk to get to the restaurants.

Tsilivi is a lovely little town with plenty of restaurants, bars and shops. I expected it to be a lot busier than it was but it might have been because it is still the beginning of the season. I would say that the resort is geared more towards families and couples.

Overall we had a lovely relaxing time and would definitely go again. The only negative point I would like to make is that I felt that the cleanliness of the beach let the resort down. There were cigarette ends everywhere in the sand ... what a shame that visitors treat the beach as a giant ash tray!!!

Loved the hotel

by TripAdvisor Member princessconsuela

We stayed at the hotel zante maris during the first week of season. 1/5/07 - 8/5/07.

The staff were supurb, the rooms cleaned every day. There was a earthquake one nice but apart from that a lovely stay.

room 317 - this was the photo from our bedroom -

Mixed Feelings

by TripAdvisor Member Travel101Dublin

I'm afraid that I'm going to be the voice of contention here and say that I think the Zante Maris needs to improve.

On a positive note, the staff are absolutely delightful, rooms are spacious and cleaned daily (just don't look under the beds!) and the location is absolutely superb, located right on the beach!

However, we were very disappointed with the food. One item on the menu was featured as vegetable omelette. The only "vegetables" in the omelette happened to be chips, presumably from the night before. With a couple of exceptions, those vegetables that we did see were of the tinned variety. We also had pastitsio made with leftover spaghetti and some of the "cakes" were leftover breakfast croissants smothered with cream. In my opinion, the food did not compare to that provided by any other 4 star facility that I've visited in recent memory. I have worked in catering and I feel for the chef, who doubtless does the best that he can with limited resources. We stayed at the Zante Maris on a HB basis and ate out most nights. We were not the only ones!

I don't know if the issue of noise has been touched on in previous reviews, but the configuration of the Hotel is such that pool view rooms can be extremely noisy during the evenings, even with earplugs. Be prepared for compulsory participation in very amateurish entertainment until midnight and beyond. If you are planning a full day excursion, or just want a decent night's sleep, listening to Bingo until 00:30 may not be the order of the day!

Finally, the overall atmosphere in the Hotel was a little sterile and not very Greek.

I'm going to rate this Hotel as "above average" on the basis of location, wonderful staff, facilities and comfort in the rooms, noise issues aside. However, I think it is a false economy to stay on a HB basis and I felt that, overall, the Hotel lacked some of the nice touches typically associated with a 4 star. I'm sure that I'll have virtual tomatoes thrown my way for this review, but I feel that customers are not presently getting particularly good value for money. The Hotel is rough around the edges and yet, with some effort and guidance, it could potentially be one of the very best establishments on the island.

Fab hotel, fab holiday

by TripAdvisor Member SweetpeaSouthDevon

My boyfriend and I stayed at Hotel Zante Maris for a week at the begining of September '06. The hotel is lovely - the staff very helpful, particuarly the older receptionist who always had a bowl of sweets on the desk!
The rooms were clean and just about the right size - we had a sea view room, it was ground floor so the main view was of sun loungers, but this didn't really spoil it.
We stayed B&B & the food was good & plentiful. The food being served up during the evening looked good although we didn't sample this as there were some lovely tavernas in the resort.
The resort its self was good - but seems to be getting bigger as there is now a McDonalds and a couple of noisy bars.
But the location of the hotel was perfect, right on the beach with gorgeous views and just away from the main area of the resort
Very busy hotel - most mornings were spent running out to reserve a sun lounger for the day.
Would recommend it.

A hoiday to remember

by TripAdvisor Member lucyrockhouse

Me and my boyfriend have just returned from our stay at the Zante Maris...what a stunning hotel, lovely and clean, the staff work so hard there to keep it so clean.
One thing i will say is that the staff never smile much, especially the bar staff and the miserable chef!
Our room was cleaned everyday, absolutely pristine every night when we would get back from the beach.
We went on the beach everyday, the pool was always full with people reserving their sunbeds at 6am (very sad), the sunbeds were 6 euros on the beach, but well worth it, the beach is so stunning, crystal blue waters. we recommend taking a pedalo out in the sea as even far out in the sea we could see the ripples in the sand.
The only mistake we made with the holiday was going half board, we didnt enjoy the dinner at all, food wasnt to our taste and very odd mixtures that they served each night, it didnt help that the miserable chef stood there watching every thing we put on our plate! But breakfast was lovely which we ate out on the terrace every morning.
Tsilivi town is lovely, everyone is so friendly, some lovely restaurants especially Romeos and Popeyes.
Overall we had a fantastic holiday, hoping to go back next year but only bed and breakfast!

Fantastic Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member sunkissed2007

My partner, my daughter and i stayed in this hotel 2nd week in May 2007. Absolutely lovely hotel, very clean and the staff are warm and friendly. We stayed B & B and were pleasantly suprised by the number of good local restaurants to eat in the town. The Beach is a blue flag beach and is very clean and litter free. when we were there it was very quiet . I hope to be going back again before the end of the year.

This is a real 4 star facility

by TripAdvisor Member mags039

Having read all the reviews, i was sure i wanted to stay here.. and i was right !! the location is to die for.. just right on the beach.. rooms clean, new (though still have to put toilet paper in bins.. oh well).. we stayed B&B and what a selection.. really lovely.. ..

the hotel when we stayed had a few over 60's.. but we were there to relax and we did..

sun beds on the beach are 3 euro's each.. which isn' too bad..the sea freezing cold but very clear.. a few pebbles as you walk into the water.. but the rest is sand..

weather was lovely apart from one day.. so we were very lucky.. staff really helpful.. air con you can pay 5 earo a day if you need it.. we were ok as the nights were still cool.

do NOT EAT AT POPEYE'S.. it was ok.. but the best best restaurants are OLIVE TREE.. MANOS GRILL and if you go into zante town - there's a lovely taverna opposite the harbour called MIROS.. i think.. really great food too.. all in all it was a real perfect holiday.. if you are thinking of staying here.. go ahead, don' thave second thoughts..

Fantastic

by TripAdvisor Member YAMMAS

We have just returned and are already thinking of booking for next year.

HOTEL :- fantastic rooms for Greece, the best we've stopped in in the 4 times that we have been to this part of the world.
The staff never stop cleaning, the pool is cleaned every morning and everywhere is swept every morning. The rooms are a very high standard and are cleaned every day with clean sheets and towels as well. Rooms even have a T.V. with a few Sky chanels and air con (you have to pay for a/c at some times in the year so ask before you go)
3 bars. One by the pool, one right on the beach and the main bar near reception, all the same price €3 for 1/2 litre of Mythos (good greek beer).
All staff are very friendly and there is even a night porter (Bill) who does look a bit like a doorman but is a really nice guy from Bulgaria, he has a very good sense of humor even with drunk English holiday makers at 4.30 A.M. (please don't try this for yourselves, it hurts when you wake up later in the day. A LOT.)
Tsilvi is only about 15 mins form the airport so expect some aircraft noise, but none at night as we heard and in the day you don't care.

POOL :- The pool is big and very clean and may not be the warmest in the world but it's not freezing as some people seem to think, after lying in the sun it's bound to feel cool as it's not heated. If you really are a softy there is also an indoor pool and gym that looked ok but we didn't use so I can't really comment.
One bit of advice, some guests who can't sleep claim sunbeds by the pool at 7.30 A.M. even though they are told not to!!! (SAD) but if you have your b/fast early on there was always plenty left.
The pool is right on the beach which is about 1.5 miles long with loads of sunbeds at a cost of €6 for two beds and a parasol.
The sea is really nice once your in and very clean (it does feel a bit chilly at first but it's fine if you get in and stop being a girl)

FOOD:- My advice is to go b&b. Breakfast is really good with loads of bread and jam, fruit, cereal and cooked stuff for English b/fast lovers, buffet style with lots of choice. 8.am - 10.am.
There is a huge amount of tavernas and bars the best one of all is the OLIVE TREE just up the road from Mc donald's (not to be confused with the Olive Garden) to be honest we never found a bad one but the OLIVE TREE is particulary good and the staff are really nice. You will get two courses for two people with a couple of beers for about €30 - 35 (about £23) and all do kids meals.
If you're self catering there are loads of minimarkets that are all really well stocked and cheap.

AIRPORT :- One word for Zante airport, HELLISH. It's awfull, don't be fooled by the terminal you arrive at, that's really nice, the departures is not. A building which hasn't changed for years (they'll tell you it's being done up, it isn't, it's been that way for two years that We've have been and not changed at all.)
You will que outside probably for an hour or more because there is only one luggage scanner, then que for check in, then through pp control into the departure lounge (lounge???) this must be a greek word because a lounge would have seats!!! all this one has is about 600 people packed into orange box. There are some seats, if you own a Glock 9mm you might just get one.
Take some food with you and a hat and some water for waiting outside in the sun. Don't let it put you off Tsilivi though, just don't let it sneak up on you unprepared.

OVERALL :- GO THERE. If you don't enjoy write a bad review.

Best Hotel in Tsilivi

by TripAdvisor Member Jyellowcup

As all other reviews have stated, this hotel is fantastic. Rooms very comfortable for Greek standards, cleaned EVERY day, the staff never stop from first thing in the morning till late at night.
Restaurant,s breakfast are fantastic, didn,t do evening meal as wanted to try all the restaurants in the village, and there are plenty to choose from, Rania,s is fantastic and if you want a good english meal go to The Troc next to Deano,s.
As for Tsilivi village, it is small but lovely, the shopkeepers are SO friendly and if you get them talking about thweir olive tree,s you,ll be there all night.
Overall a brilliant holiday, a FANTASTIC hotel,lovely friendly people, a lovely lovely place to go if you wanna completely chill out
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

brill hotel forget thre bingo

by TripAdvisor Member hypnokev

i have stayed here for the past 2 years, and think the hotel is excellant. am fed up with people moaing about noise and things not being good,your holiday is what you make it! if you just want to sit in your chair during the entertainment and get drunk go to bournemouth.so many times have seen people not wanting to get involved with the evenings activities,and then saying they were amateurish. go to outer mongolia,you will get your peace.
the maris is an excellant hotel for all,yes i agree it needs more entertainment and needs to get staff that know how to run quizzes
and bingo properly,but the musical shows are fab,especially if you have a sense of humour,ther needs to be more shows. the rest of the hotel is spotless,the only problem there is uk holidaymkers fighting over sunbeds and alcohol. we are guests in this country and hotel. smile and behave,but get involved you might enjoy your selves. the maris is an excellant hotel dont hesitate.

Comments