Porto Carra Hotel

Thira, Fira, 84700, Greece
Porto Carra Hotel
Booking.com

More about Fira

Lovebirds or rivals ?Lovebirds or rivals ?

Famous "Oia" ViewFamous "Oia" View

Gillian & VickieGillian & Vickie

Caldera PathCaldera Path

Travel Tips for Fira

Island- lover poet

by fassolia

I will finish this presentation of Santorini with a few verses of Odysseus Elytis, a nobelist poet who loved Cyclades;

The garden made its way into the sea
Dark carnation promontory
Your hand was leaving with the water
to strew the sea as bridal bed
Your hand was opening the sky
Moon here moon there
Aenigma read by the sea
For your own sake
The garden was entering the sea
Dark carnation promontory

SANTORINI - See Most Spectacular Sights of Greece.

by Pakistaniguy

"An Island where World's Biggest Explosion Occured"

Welcome to The Best Page of Thira (mashAllah) here on VT.
I hope I've provided enough useful info so that you can easily plan your trip to Thira.

: 23rd November 2002 :

We (me & my friend Swiss_Spirit) flew from Greek Island of Mykonos to Santorini (Thira), on Aegean Air, which is a private greek airline but its quality of service is better than Olympic Airways. Our plane landed on Santorini International Airport at 7.30 a.m. As usually I took a few pictures of airport, the aircraft and runway :-) which you will be able to see in the different Travel Tips according to their catagories.

The first thing which i did after getting out of the airport was to have an advice from my Lonely Planet book on Greece :-) They wrote that the Taxis charge a fix amount for going to the city of Fira from the airport, which was 7.5 euros. I went to a Taxi Driver and asked the fare to Fira and he told me 10 euros. I got the clue that on this island bargaining rules are applied. so, I asked him if is ready to take us in 7.5 Euros. He agreed and took us to Fira, which is the main city of Santorini Island. We got off from the Taxi at the Taxi stand and walked a bit to find a suitable hotel for a night. But we were taken by surperise that most of the youth hostels & hotels were closed due to the low season and the ones which were open were having their receptions closed. We asked a local and he told us that the hotel's reception will open at 9.00 a.m.

There was still one hour in 9.00 a.m so we decided to check a few more hotels. I took out my lonely planet book and found a pension house near by - Petro's Pension. It was run by a local family and i had a feeling that it must be open. We went there. Knocked the door. A lady came out and she showed us our room. The room was more than okay for us because it had a lot of facilities but we were thinking how much she would ask for this room. When i inquired the price she replied '25 Euros' because it is off season.... i knew that i should bargain. so, i asked her if it would be fine for her if we pay 20 Euros for tonite ? because we were looking for a room for backpacker travellers. She agreed :-) We took out a note of 20 Euros and gave her at once. Ah ! Thanks God, we finally found a room in Santorini in off season......

You can see the pictures and read more details about our one day in Santorini in the respective Travel Tips. Not to forget rating them so that I can judge how much did u enjoy reading my travel Diary of Santorini.

With Many Thanks