Markos Village Hotel

Ios Island - Chora, Ios Island, 84001, GR
Marcos Village Hotel
Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

More about Ios Island

Classy and clean roomsClassy and clean rooms

The beach, 2-3 min walk from the hotelThe beach, 2-3 min walk from the hotel

Visit the main beahVisit the main beah

Visit remote beachesVisit remote beaches

3 days and in need of suggestions!

by JCTraveler

My traveling partner and I will be in Ios for 3 days in mid Sept. We are looking for suggestions of where to stay and what to see while there. We are 2 females in our mid 20's and enjoy daytime relaxation or sight seeing but also enjoy a nightlife atmosphere.

What are the best areas of the island to stay in?

Is it best to reserve a hotel or figure that out upon arrival?

Any other suggestions on restaurants, bars, sights, etc.

Thank you!

by Ouzone

There's really only one area to stay in on Ios and that is:
Port - Chora - Mylopotas Beach.

I always stay in the Port area which is away from general melee of the Chora where most of the nightlife is.

You can walk up the path to Chora in 15 mins. Up to about 24:00 depending on season is a bus running Port <> Chora <> Mylopotas Beach.

You should be able to gat a decent room for around 30 Euros or so.

There's nothing much in the way of sights except Chora and the many beaches and of course the nightlife.

There are a few decent Greek Restaurants, but it's mainly fast food places.

by DvaSrca

Hello, I stayed in Mylopotas four years ago, in the morning it has a lively (and lovely) beach and in the evening it's really quiet and calm, without many passer-by's. So I guess it's a good option, the port is way too lively in the morning and way too dead in the evening for my tastes. As far as bars etc. are concerned, the only one that was really different from the others and memorable was one close to the church at the entrance of the Chora, I cannot remember the name but it was a small ouzeri (that means traditional bar with ouzo and other local drinks/food) where a company of young local people played live music and sang almost every night without even being paid for it, they just liked to gather there and have a good time. We really had a good time there and visited the place twice, it was really easy-going and everyone was so friendly and genuine. Definately NOT a tourist trap. Most of the restaurants/bars/clubs in Ios are not really worth mentioning, since the island is really touristy, unfortunately.

by boxerdogheidi

We always stay on Mylopotos Beach. The bus goes every 15 minutes, from beach to town to port and back. The views are great. But if you plan to be partying really late, you'd have to take a taxi back to your room. So in that case I guess it would be better to stay in the town, where you could walk to bars, and take the bus to and from beach during the day. In September I would just get a room when I got off the boat. There's always lots of people renting rooms when the boats come in. We like to stay at Manthos Place on Mylopotos Beach.

Travel Tips for Ios Island

A Chance For Some Male-Bonding!

by johngayton

The main harbour here on Ios doesn't allow visiting yachts to use their anchors but instead provides chain moorings to which the yachts can be affixed. This however does take a bit of brute stregnth as the chains have to be hoisted from the sea bottom and a line from the boat attached whilst at the same time the boat has to be guided to its berth against the harbour.

Sounds complicated? Yep, it is!! First the mooring ropes are thrown onto the dock to be loosely affixed to the bollards, thus giving the boat a bit of stability. Next the mooring chain has to be dredged from the harbour bottom and hauled to the fixing point at the bow (OK I know I've probably gotten all the terminology wrong, but Ach, I'm no sailor!).

It took the three of us: Allan, Jim and myself, to haul the chain up and affix it whilst captain Vassilli manouvered the boat to make it tight - tho' I do think he was (in his inevitable Greek macho fashion) trying to make it as difficult as possible for us. But yep we did it, humphing and heaving and then BIG Hi Fives all round!!!!!!

Tighten up the dock moorings and that's that -

Then it was beer time!

Beaches

by snorril

We really liked the Myopotas beach on Ios. We were there early in the morning and only a handful of people had arrived. Among them a couple who where taking erotic pictures in the sea.

This beach probably gets really active during high season (and later in the day). It is easily reached by bus from Hora. The Myopotas is not made of fine sand but kind of small stones. We lay there on our towels and it was really comfortable.

The waters are deep. We only tried to swim there but the beach has all the facilities, like the banana etc.

Ios street scene

by snorril

Ios in early June was definately not crowded. During the day you could wander the streets without hardly meeting anyone. The streets are real fun to walk (like in many other Greek Island villages).

These flowers also are a common sight in the Cyclades and make a nice photo oppertunity. Ios was really nice place. It is not for everyone as it is primary a party place and at the age of 24 I seemed to be in the upper agegroup. I would have liked to spend another night there, that is for sure.

Where The Earth Moved For Me!

by johngayton

If you Google Ios you will get the impression that this is "The Party Island" HA!, Perhaps the sight of our 3 yachts' full of old fogeys sailing into the bay was enough to scare the party-goers underground for the day!

Party Island or no tho' I liked Ios, even if it was the most commercially developed of our sail (until of course we hit Santorini) and again some excellent meals - and not just in the restaurants either!!!

It seems that the real party season doesn't kick-off until June and so the Island was still awakening from its winter's slumbers. Sometimes that's the best time to catch a place, whilst it's still a little bleary-eyed, before its had a chance to shower and make itself presentable to the world. Here in late May Ios was just that: the slight tang of previous revelleries still sweet on its skin tinged with that undefinable flavour - "Unami": that special taste of last night's love on a loved one's morning body.

Ach, yep! I liked Ios!

Unforgettable vacation

by Laserone

"The mixture of culture and freedom"

There are many gossips about the Cyclades. From Ulisses to modern scooters in the Chora (centre) of town.. One book on these Islands is surely not enough and photo films are too little whenever you get to these islands... There is some kind of magic in the dust of the barren roads, in the crack of the fisherman's fire on a pitch dark cliff curve in Santorini and in the unbearable heat of red, black and white beaches... People there are as similar to Italians as they resemble them. Phisically if not mentally. It has been a great journey...

"Cylades with friends"

4 friends and I left from the port of Trieste (Italy) and sailed with a huge commercial and civil fright to Patrasso (35hs of boat) and then 4 hs of coach to Athens and 9hours from there to Santorini....unforgettable journey sleeping on the warm windy deck and peeling peaches in the shadows.

"The Ship as your home...for 35 hours"

You start out in a loud excitement when you first step on the ship, lay down your stuff, choose where to sleep and have a sandwich. Then, as hours go by, you feel the silence in yourself and observ the moving horizon and become something that belongs to both the ship and the sea especially when you hear the water being crushed and the white foam gushing up and the wind violating every corner of the deck. Which eventually becomes a friendly and adventurous environment where to sleep with good friends around you. And while you have your "windy dinner" this is the view you get. Extend your legs and relax.

Comments