Plati Gialos, Mykonos, 84600, Greece

Expedia.com Travelocity Official Site

Costs 30% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• anubanerjee's Profile Photo

great location and amazing breakfast

We were spending 3 nights is Mykonos from May 14th - May 17th. We wanted to make it absolutely perfect & choosing the right hotel was very crucial. I read a lot of reviews on a lot of hotels in Mykonos and was also suggested many by my other Indian friends but we had to make a sensible choice as my parents in their early 60s were also joining us for this trip. We wanted to do our own things yet there wud be substantial amount of time that we would be spending with them so we needed a hotel that was apt for us in our early 30s and our parents as well.

The first reason we chose Myconian Ambassador Hotel & Thalasso Spa Center was because of its location. The hotel is just a 5minutes walk from famous Platis Yialos Beach- The family beach of Mykonos and the most central beach of Mykonos- all water taxis to other beaches start at Platis Yialos.

The second reason was the Spa- apt for us as well as parents and third the sales team who were very responsive and really tried giving us the best offers and discounts possible. We got a 3 nights offer with breakfast and 3 spa treatments per couple at a great price and were booked with Myconian Ambassador Hotel & Thalasso Spa Center .

We reached on 14th May by 11:45 noon. Ok so it did not start very well. We waited at the port and did not have the pick-up on arrival as promised by the hotel. The driver arrived about 20 minutes late and when we told him he is late and we had to wait in the harsh sun, he spoke back very rudely saying he is overworked and some mix-up with the earlier guests he was dropping off. I did not appreciate his attitude, especially because this was our 8th day in Greece and by now we were used to very warm and welcoming people. We did not argue with him because he seemed really pissed and we didn’t want to get into an argument and ruin the first day at Mykonos.

Anyways, so one bad incident and we didn’t know what to expect further! But as we reached the hotel the driver mellowed a bit and told us about the roads and driving etc in Mykonos and finally at the hotel foyer did apologise for being late, however blamed it on hotel as they mixed-up (supposedly). Now, from here starts THE GREAT EXPERIENCE we had.
    We got an absolutely WARM WELCOME from the front office, welcome drink, cold towels and while we filled our check-in forms we were told by the front office that we have been upgraded to the executive rooms. WOW! We were so happy we didn’t complain about the driver.

We were accompanied by one of the staff members to our rooms and shown around our amazing rooms. These are big rooms with lil pvt balcony looking at the Platys Yialos beach and the hotel pool and the toilettories were amazing!! Great variety of shampoos and body gels and what not. The rooms were fabulous and spacious and we were given a bottle of Samos white wine with compliments and a welcome note from the manager!
    Post checking in we called the Spa and booked our appointments for the complimentary treatment. I will start with the Spa. Very classy and beautifully done. The treatment we had was the 3 pools treatment. The spa has these 3 pools with sea water with different temperatures and salinity content. The 1st pool is hot with loads of essential oils- you soak up in this for treating the skin, then you go on to the 2nd pool- which is warm with salts for easing pains and relaxing muscles. The 3rd pool is luke warm with 20 odd hydro massager fittings for pampering u from head to toe. When you have spent 1 hour getting the 3 pools treatment you are re-born! Its a great experience. The spa hands you robes and slippers and there are many flavours of herbal tea to choose from provided with all treatments. Anyone staying here The Spa is a must visit.

In my 3 days at the Myconian Ambassador Hotel & Thalasso Spa Center, i did not see one grumpy face or one staff who did not make the effort to make you feel nice. Now coming to the breakfast that was served at the restaurant. It was a great spread, many varieties of breads and croissants. Cakes, pastries, baklavas. Jams, jellys. Amazing variety of cold cuts- especially the smoked salmon is worth dying for. Eggs of your choice, milk, coffee, tea, fresh juices, fruits etc etc. And the way the staff takes care of you while you are having your breakfast is phenomenal. The service and variety made the breakfast amazing.
    I spent 3 nights and i really wish i did not have to leave! All in all if I ever go back to Mykonos, and I know i will- There is no other place but the Myconian Ambassador Hotel & Thalasso Spa Center that i will stay. My only regret is the experience I had with the driver on our arrival and departure (he was really cross and grumpy).

• wernermark's Profile Photo

Superb!

We had ear-to-ear grins from the moment we entered the lobby. We have stayed at other Relais & Chateau hotels, and have come to expect only the very best from them, but the Myconian Ambassador exceeded our expectations. The staff is sublimely courteous, friendly, and helpful. I cannot imagine how anyone would find otherwise. Our room was very spacious, with an ocean view, and even a private pool – on our terrace overlooking the ocean. A private pool was a first for us, and a wonderful surprise. The furniture was nice, and the room was very nicely decorated. As a final surprise, the mini-bar prices were not extortionate as they sometimes are at expensive hotels. It was still a bit hot when we arrived, and I fancied a nice cold beer on my new terrace, and was pleased to be charged only 2.5 Euro for it.

The restaurant service was very attentive, almost too polite, and efficient. As impressed as we were by the hotel, I must say that we did not find the food to be as spectacular as the rest of the hotel. We have no complaints, we only ate one dinner there, but we so love taverna food and ambience that we continued to eat out. The front desk recommended a taverna to us (called ‘Bonatsa’), which was super, so we ate there a lot.

Unique Quality: Outstanding staff, view, location, views, luxury (at least in our room).

Directions: On a hill overlooking Platis Yialos Beach.

More about Myconian Ambassador Hotel & Thalasso Spa Center

Enjoyed our stay at Myconian Ambassador

by TripAdvisor Member whatsaname

The Myconian Ambassador was the last leg of our 12 nights in Greece from early to mid June 2007 (Athens and Santorini preceded).

We were thrown off a little when we arrived at the hotel ... the taxi made a few winding turns, climbed one or two steep hills and, before we knew it, we were in a narrow driveway being greeted by a bellman. A quick step into the hotel and we soon forgot about the farm animals and rocky terrain we passed on our way from the pier. The lobby was clean and inviting, with nicely appointed decor.

No problems at check-in and we were quickly escorted to our Executive Suite with private pool. It was explained that this particular room was in the "new area" of the hotel grounds, and that we'd have to take the main elevator followed by a connecting elevator to access it. The room location was tucked away in a back area, but we learned to appreciate it for the privacy. We did, however, quickly notice that some farm animals were just a stone's throw away .... goats (not much of a bother) and a rather annoying rooster were a constant reminder of where we were.

The room was not spectacular in its decor (I'm not into drab colors, so the beige walls, drapery, furniture, bedding, etc. were not my favorite). Oddly enough, the bathroom was more colorful (turquoise / green tiling, no less). We learned during our stay that in the months when the hotel is closed, they redecorate and change room colors. We found the bed a bit hard for our taste, but saw a listing of pillow choices available, if desired. Our private pool was visibly dirty, but was thoroughly cleaned the next day. Lastly, we had problems with at least one of our room keys EACH day ... which can be a problem considering the distance from our room to the front desk.

We did not make use of the spa, but thought it was nicely decorated and well appointed as well. The food was excellent and the wait staff ("Hi, Niko") and bartender ("Hi, Stefano") were extremely nice and accommodated our every need.

The pool area was nice and we had no problems securing chairs no matter when we arrived. We were also pleased to see the pool had a deep end (not so in many other hotels we've stayed in). Platos Gialos beach is less than a 5 minute walk from the hotel. We opted not to rent a car or bike, but Mykonos Town was just a 7.50 euro taxi ride away.

Overall, we had a GREAT time and were glad we chose the Myconian Ambassador for our stay.

Superb!

by TripAdvisor Member 20minutetourist

We had ear-to-ear grins from the moment we entered the lobby. We have
stayed at other Relais & Chateau hotels, and have come to expect only

so we ate there a lot.

We live overseas, so we travel a lot. We found the Myconian Ambassador to be one of our best hotel experiences. The combination of location, room, décor, services, and friendly staff add up to a wonderful package. For all you honeymooners out there looking for a superb luxury hotel close to (but not right on) the beach, I can heartily recommend the Myconian ambassador. All I can say to provide balance is that it seems to me that some people are only happy when they are complaining. This is a shame, because travel can be so rewarding when you maintain an open mind.

Top Hotel in Mykonian Paradise

by TripAdvisor Member PennyKM

I am a frequent user of tripadvisor and have now been to Mykonos over 10 times. I travel frequently and am passionate about hotels and just LOVE Mykonos!

Make NO mistake - the Mykonian Ambassador and the entire Mykonian Collection are a credit to their owners. They are one the few PROFESSIONAL hotels on the entire island of Mykonos, and believe me I have stayed at many of Mykonos' hotels over the years. I cannot believe or understand a past negative reviewer from 2005 - instead please read this more recent and accurate review.

We holidayed in Mykonos in August - which is absolute peak season and to be avoided if you like a slower pace. Check-in was in air-conditioned comfort by professional and smiling staff and our bags were whisked away.

We were given a deluxe room which was beautifully decorated, clean, had an amazing view of Platis Yialos Beach and fantastic airconditioning. The swimming pool is stunning and clean. Lots of new sun lounges and big fluffy pool towels. There's a gorgeous open air restaurant over-looking the pool complete with minature olive trees on every table and crisp white linen. The food was reasonably priced, generous and very tasty.

There's a car park just outside for your car or hired jeep for you to explore other beaches but rest assured that the Platis Yialos Beach 50m from the hotel is clean and blue with FREE sun lounges when you show them a card from the hotel (at other beaches we were paying 8 euro each chair and 4 euro for an umbrella. The beach taverna Magazi Bonatsa is a stunning taverna right on the beach with EXCELLENT food and service.

There is also a bus service for hotel transfers and a public bus nearby to go into town and back (til VERY late at night) - much appreciated with crazy drivers all around you!

Finally I checked out the spa - one of the top ones on the island - large pools of thermal waters in super clean and beautiful surroundings with attentive staff.

In speaking to staff at the hotel, I learnt that the hotel gets overhauled every winter by the owners - which is impressive in itself and slack service is not tolerated.

Overall I would thoroughly recommend this hotel to anyone that demands good service and finds it difficult to come across such service in Greece. We love Greece but have often been disappointed by poor service. Do not hesitate in booking this hotel or others in the Mykonian Collection - the same standards exist.

We will be back! Loved it!

OK - but NOT a 5 star!

by TripAdvisor Member Travel0h0lic

We stayed at this hotel in August 2006. We are used to the Greek island standards and did not expect a 5* standard of a NYC hotel, but this was still not what we expected for the money we paid. We have had much better on Crete, Naxos, Kos. We had one Deluxe/suite with private pool plus a normal double room for our 16 year old daughter. We were pleased to see that they had taken our request for rooms 'close together' into consideration and our daughter was just 2 rooms away from us. Our rooms were located at the very highest point of the hotel so it was quite a walk to get there from the reception area. The view was fantastic though! Both rooms were very basically furnished, this is to be expected in Greece, but what we didn't like was the sort of classical looking furniture with dark wood, covered in a brown-beige fabric that was really not very freshlooking. I by far prefer the more basic white/blue standard fresh-looking Greek furniture that is so charming and typical for the islands. This felt like the hotel was trying, without really making it, to look like a European-style 5* hotel. Not very nice. Our pool was very small, but the terrass between the room and the pool was even smaller (shame) and we found it very cramped for the 3 of us (taking into account that the room we had allowed up to 4 people staying using the sleeping couch, this is a problem). We have tried a number of hotels with private pools and this was the least impressive. Besides, it was not clean. Already on day 1, there was dirt on the pool floor and suntan oil floating on the water. And not once did we see anybody come to clean it during our 7 day stay. The bathroom was OK.
The breakfast buffet was fine, but the fruit platter could have been better. I found it a shame that there was no possibility to have breakfast on the tables outside by the pool - these tables were only for the evening. So the breakfast was to be taken inside - full stop.
The hotel restaurant has good food but ridiculously high prices (we were on B&B), e.g. spagetti with lobster/tomato sauce for €35. In comparison, one of the beach tavernas (excellent food) just 100m away had the same course, just as nice if not better for €22. We ate at the hotel the first evening and then rented a car for the remaining 6 days. This is HIGHLY recommended! We drove around the island and discovered wonderful beaches and a superb fish/seafood restaurant "Luna" at the most removed beach called Lia Beach. We had HUGE lunches there. Top food - much cheaper than at the hotel. Honestly, the car saved our vacation. In fact, we didn't use the hotel's pool once. If we had been forced to stay at the hotel and the Platos Yialos beach ... we would have gone mad [--].
Unfortuantely, our nights turned into a nightmare because our neighbours played techno music all night (until 4-5am sometimes even until 6-7am). We complained to the hotel who must have asked them to stop because it was ok for one night, then it started again. Well, this is Mykonos ... a real party-island. We were just unlucky I guess that these people partied in their room and not in the many night clubs!

Have no doubts The ambassador was awesome!!!

by TripAdvisor Member jbhatt81

Stayed at the ambassador for 3 nights in May. Had the deluxe room with Jacuzzi. Was placed in this room by my travel agent. Was a little nervous after reading some negative reviews on the place. However, can honestly say it was truly the best hotel we stayed at in greece. The staff was ever so friendly - Nikos, Yannis, & Mikalis were awesome at eh pool bar & restaurant, & the staff went out of there way to make sure you were having a good vacation. The room itself was fairly sized (was not expecting a 5 star US size). The jacuzzi was great with a view of the beach & sea. Additionally, great morning breakfast & hotel facilities ( gym a little small), & well kept. Would highly recommend this place for any couple looking to relax & enjoy Mykonos.

Satisfied with the Myconian

by TripAdvisor Member CP9292

We stayed at the Ambassador in late April, 2 days after the hotel opened for the season. Upon arrival to Mykonos, we were suprised to learn that the hotel was oversold and we were going to have to stay at a different hotel within the Myconian Collection for one night. We were very disappointed, as the other hotel we were put in was not even close to what we had paid for the Ambassador. However, the hotel manager more than made up for the inconvenience. He rented us a car for our whole stay in Mykonos, upgraded our room, gave me and my boyfriend each two free spa treatments, and paid for our lunch and dinner on our first day.

Our room was nice, but as many of the other reviews mention, it was nothing spectacular. We did have a private jacuzzi and a great view of the beach.

The food was good, but very expensive. I would not recommend eating at the hotel. Nikos, a taverna in town, is fabulous! It is was recommended to us by a local and did not disappoint.

We enjoyed the spa. The Thallasos treatment was very relaxing. It was clean and the staff was very attentive.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay at the Ambassador, despite the inconvenience at the start of our stay. I would recommend staying here.

This place was AMAZING!

by TripAdvisor Member Jacalina

This hotel is wonderful! First, the entire place was extremely clean (for that matter, the entire island is very clean) and it remained that way the entire time we were there. Secondly, the staff was very friendly and helpful. We even had one waiter at the hotel restaraunt help us figure out when and where we could go on a ferry to Dilos. While I am on the subject of the hotel eatery, I have to say you MUST check this out as well. The food was excellent and local, and we got really drunk on a little bottle of greek wine there... then stumbled up to our room... perfect! From our room we could see not only the beautiful Agean Sea, but also the windmills, town, and the port. The best thing about this hotel apart from all that was the fact that at the end of their driveway there was a little market and moped rental spot. Both were excellent! Added plus, the hotel was literally less than one minute away by moped (maybe two if you are not driving with my husband lol!) Definitely book this hotel if taking a trip to Mykonos!

Very disappointing

by TripAdvisor Member dhr312

My husband and I spent 1/2 of our honeymoon here - 5 days. We had spent most of our savings at this supposed 5 star hotel, realizing it was pricey but figured for 5 stars it was worth it. Well, it wasn't. We were highly dissapointed. Staff was rude and very unhelpful. We asked several different people for help in finding something to do on the island and they had little to no information for us other than to eat at their restaurant or go to their beach. Beach was very crowded - not at all private. Room had a view of a construction site to the right and a roof below us. Pictures online that show the sea right from the balcony are false - they have mearly angled the camera differently - sea is quite far and you have to look over several buildings and roofs to see it. Sheets were never changed in the 5 days we were there, so they were quite sandy each night. We were charged for items we did not purchase in mini bar. Alerted staff of our porch light being out and they never fixed it during our stay. Service was poor in restaurant. I would not recommend this hotel - parts were nice, but their website claims 5 stars, when I would give it more like 2 or 3 tops.

Spectacular!!

by TripAdvisor Member Grand1

We stayed here for our honeymoon. From the outside it is not one of the hotels that you would think much of - but the moment you step inside, it's another story. It really is beautiful, lots of charm throughout the property - just take the time to look. The hotel is very clean, as well as the rooms. Service here on all levels is par none - can't say enough great things about all the staff! We had lunch @ the pool bar & it was fabulous. The beach is a very close walk, no problem whatsover. We would definitely recommend that you have dinner at the restaurant Atlantida down by the beach - nice ambience, superior service. A restaurant worth checking out in Mykonos town would be the Sea Satan (we had the grilled beef) - dining right by the sea & under the windmills - amazing! Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel & can't wat to go back to it. It's in a peaceful & calm area which we particularly enjoyed.

Mykonos 20-27 June

by Gorne

Hello there, i was wondering if there is anyone else heading there in the period i'm staying? As i'm going all alone with my parents, and kinda expect to have fun over there.. Heard the paradise beach was Awesome.. Saw some video's on youtube and well.. i like it hehe! I'm staying in the Myconian Ambassador (Platys Gialos beach) You guys have any idea if there's a bus there heading the the Paradise Beach? Thanks!

Re: Mykonos 20-27 June

by yma123

hi there...

yes there are buses than run from mykonos town (through were you are staying) - im 99% sure.. I think that you can also get a boat from Platys Gialos as you are right next to paradise beach!!!

make sure that you go to super paradise beach too... its good there also!!!! - see my mykonos page!!

Re: Mykonos 20-27 June

by forgrave

There is no bus to Paradise from Plati Yialos, you can catch the boats at the end of the beach, walk around the headland to the left (facing sea) about 1hr or you have to go into town (buses at end of beach/tickets in supermarket were 1 euro) and swap buses at the terminal. When the boats stop at night it's the bus or taxi.

Comments