Agios Ioannis, Mykonos, 84600, Greece

Booking.com Official Site Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

• excellant, excellant, excellant

we stayed here for 5 nights September 2005 and had the most wonderful time. The hotel is clean, views are spectacular and the service is wonderful. Make sure you get a room a with a sea view, well worth the money. This palce is worth the 5 stars as it is spectacular.
    The pool overlooks the ocean and plenty of sunbeds available. i cannot say more about this hotel except it is worth every cent you pay. The restaurant food is just as good as it's view. What more can i say.

• sweetbean's Profile Photo

Great hotel in Mykonos

Wow! This was one of the most beautiful hotels I've ever stayed in. It's located a bit outside of the center of town, so you'll need to take a bus or a taxi back and forth, but it's worth it. The hotel is right on the coast and has the most spectacular sunset views. It's set up to look like the town of Mykonos with lots of private villas, all with balconies facing the Agean sea. The rooms were beautifully decorated and spacious. The bathrooms were very nice too. European bathrooms always seem to flood, and this was no exception. The shower curtain had no liner, so water just leaked through to the floor, but this seems to be the case every where I've stayed in Europe.

Unique Quality: The views of the Agean sea are breathtaking. There is an infinity pool and a private stretch of beach (although it's pretty rocky sand). Food at the hotel was good, but way overpriced. Breakfast was included, so we basically ate all our other meals in the town of Mykonos. The staff was attentive and friendly. We were there during their low season, so it was very quiet and relaxing. I don't know how crowded it gets during the peak season.

More about Saint John Hotel Villas & Spa

Extraordinary Vacations Summer 2007

by TripAdvisor Member Horazio

We had an amazing week in Mykonos. We adored this Lovely Greek island, but most of all we liked Saint John and its friendly and helpful staff. We were feeling among friends. We left part of our mind there and hope to find it again next year when we will return.

Left a lot to be desired

by TripAdvisor Member LondonHello_kitty

I will start on a positive note and will say that the staff of the hotel (except for reception) were very friendly, helpful and went out of their way to make our stay as enjoyable as possible.

However, the overall standard of the hotel and the efficiency with which the problems were dealt with left a lot to be desired.

We arrived in the early afternoon into a very hot room, the AC was not working which we promptly advised to the reception staff. The person they sent could not figure out what was wrong and we were advised that we would have to wait until 8pm for an engineer. We couldn't use out room that day although we were up from 4am and would have liked to get some rest. The saga continued into the night as the engineer who arrived after 8pm as we were leaving for dinner could not fix the AC and not left any message with the reception. They had to move us for 1 night to another room.

The next day we had a conversation with the manager who first said the AC was working fine and tried to blame us for not knowing how to work it which frankly is absolutely ridiculous as we cannot be expected to know this if even their employees don't know. After a long discussion he offered us an upgrade and a token 10% off the first night. We accepted as we didn't want to spoil our holiday with negative memories.

The bath drain was blocked in the room we moved to and although we complained twice it was never fixed. The mini-bar was refilled twice during the week.

The so called Spa does not deserve the name. The showers were filthy (with hair in the drains). They offered no slippers or robes. You could hear people laughing and talking outside while you were having the treatment which was supposed to be relaxing. The manicure was by far the worst I have ever had although the girl had quite a pleasant manner.

The breakfast selection was very basic and definitely not reflective of the hotel status. Think eggs, ham, cheese, sausages, bread, and cereal. No finer foods of any kind, pastries soggy and stale. Figs disappeared half way through our stay and never came back although we asked.

The swimming pool was nice with sea water although there is a bit of a fight for the sun loungers. One of the staff near the pool did not speak any English (even basic words like water) so was difficult to order from him.

The hotel is very remote so you have no other options for lunch except for the hotel restaurant. Again the menu left a lot to be desired in terms of variety and sophistication.

We had dinner once in their other restaurant and it was quite nice.

I think the problem of this hotel is that they are comparing themselves to other hotels on the island. And maybe they are better or on the par (I have not stayed anywhere else on the island). However they do not deserve their deluxe status if you compare with similar hotels outside Mykonos.

I would not rush back there as there are many other places in the world where you can spend this amount of money and have a much more pleasant experience. If you're into clubbing though which is what the island is famous for you probably wouldn't mind where to stay.

We loved this hotel.

by TripAdvisor Member caltraveller_7

We had an absolutely ideal week long vacation at The St. John in June. We have stayed at many great hotels but this ranks as our favorite experience. The hotel is visually stunning and located on a beautiful private beach. The rooms are fantastic. The food is great. Best of all is the extremely hospitable staff. Mariangela works wonders! She arranges anything you may want including restaurants and even private boats or yachts. The entire staff goes above and beyond expectations. They are extremely personable and lots of fun. Our group of 14 was a family and friends celebration. Our ages ranged from 15 to 83. This hotel was wonderful for young, middle aged and seniors. We hope to return soon.
This is a can't miss hotel of dreams. Stay there and you will treasure the memories.

Avoid Hotel St John

by TripAdvisor Member RedSilver

There are two hotels that are next to each other on this edge of St John’s Bay in Mykonos. If you must have an infinity pool then book Hotel St John otherwise avoid it and use the hotel next door (Mykonos Grand). Hotel St John lets itself down on so many fronts. I was so disillusioned that after two days I went to see the manager with a list of 20 items of concern. I have never done anything like this before. Avoid Hotel St John and book Mykonos Grand.

The air-conditioning, although effective when on, is disabled when you are not in the room. It does not operate at all in the bathroom. It switches off when the doors are open. Even when you have a balcony and one of you goes out on the balcony and the other person remains in the room, the air goes off. The hotel benefits from glorious views as it is on the side of the cliff/hill leading to the beach. However unlike the hotel next door it has no lifts to aid the descent/ascent to/from the pool. The steps are steep and often scary, are badly signposted and not at all clear how you make your way from one area of the hotel to another. The map they give you at reception gives no help and you are not offered any form of orientation as they do in the Mykonos Grand. Avoid Hotel St John and book Mykonos Grand.

The shower in the bathroom was faulty. It had a tendency to flood the floor due to a run off at the back of the bath. The shower/bath direction unit had three settings. It had one for a regular shower, one for a hand held wall mounted shower fixed ‘amidships’ and a bath setting. The amidships setting was useful for the maid service to clean with. So when you came to use the unit in the evening you got a face-full because they always left the setting amidships and the shower pointing straight at you. Halfway through our stay when we ran out of tea in the room, it was useful to speak with one of the room service personnel who spoke English. They said that they had difficulty getting some of the staff to understand what they were saying as many of the people in question spoke no Greek! Avoid Hotel St John and book Mykonos Grand.

We were paying 300 euros per night. The room had no place to hold our case and all the drawers were so small that items such as shirts and shorts had to be refolded when taken from the cases. The hotel had a policy of fining its guests. Everything you wanted it charged extra for. Internet access for example – 6 euros per hour to use the hotel’s PC. When you first arrive, by definition the room is hot. Call to reception and they confirm that the water from the tap is not drinkable. Turn to the minibar – 6 euros for .75litres. Don’t lose anything – keys 100 euros, towels 30 euros.

Interestingly when I met the hotel manager he knew about the shower flooding problem which was common throughout the hotel. It was not fixed because it would mean taking too many bedrooms out of service. He acknowledged the lack of mirrors in the bedrooms and the air conditioning problem. He advised me on a way to overcome this and said he could prevent the aircon from switching off when the doors were open. There were also ways to avoid all the stairs as there are two lifts ‘hidden’ within the hotel which help to avoid some, less than half, of the seventy or so steps between our room and the pool. When you first meet the reception staff at Hotel St John you will notice the haunted demeanour they portray. Possibly you are facing a group of people cowed by the complaint levels they receive.

My advice - avoid Hotel St John and book Mykonos Grand. Unsurprisingly Mykonos Grand was fully booked while I was there and so we continued to stay in the Hotel St John and just learnt to live with its foibles. It does have a spectacular infinity pool!

"great week-end at a great hotel"

by TripAdvisor Member fragkar

We had a fantastic week end in Saint john hotel and the fact that our hotel was so well located, our villa bright and spacious, our individual terrace with a nice pool, the beautiful sunset view and our host so pleasant and helpful were not the least appreciable things!!! we will go again for sure!

Avoid at all costs

by TripAdvisor Member kittyg99

I wholeheartedly agree with the other 1 and 2 star reviewers. I suffered all the same problems: very poor customer service, terrible air conditioning, leaking shower, no lifts despite the fact the hotel is spread down the side of a hill, threats to fine me (30 euros if I accidentally left my 'complimentary' pool towel by the hotel pool rather than returning it to the room each evening, 100 euros if the electonic key they gave me stopped working). My friends who stayed in the adjoining hotel (I think it was called the Mykonos Grand) had a much better time of it, despite the fact I had paid significantly more to stay at this hotel. Avoid.

Cycladic Paradise

by TripAdvisor Member WestVillGal

I stayed at the St. John hotel this past August for 3 nights as part of a Greek Island hopping trip. During my trip, I went to Mykonos, Paros, and Santorini. For those of you planning this kind of trip, I would highly recommend starting with Mykonos and ending with Santorini. (Also, you should DEFINITELY fly from Athens to Mykonos and from Santorini to Athens on Olympic airlines. Avoid the ferries at all costs unless you are a super budget travel and really can't shell out an additional $100). Mykonos is beautiful and there is a really fun party scene (you can also totally avoid it if you want, but most people come here for the party, especially in the summer). You want to start off an a high, energetic note and then end in Santorini, which is one of the most romantic, beautiful places in the world.

But anyhow, I cannot say enough wonderful things about this hotel! The reason why I chose to stay here was because I wanted to be fairly close to the Hora (the town) because that is where all of the partying is, but I didn't want to stay in the town center proper because I wanted to have easy access to the beach. There are really fun party beaches that you can take public transportation too, but I wanted to have the Mediterranean in my own backyard so I wouldn't have to deal with the hassle of driving to the beach. Please note, it is not easy to get cabs in the Greek Islands. If you are staying at a hotel, they will call a cab for you, which is very easy to do and they arrive very quickly. But once you are out in either the town or at one of the beaches, forget it. You have to fight hords of tourists who for some reason refuse to accept the concept that you have to wait in line.

So about the St. John - it is a very beautiful resort. I actually didn't expect it to be as nice as it was. I despise hotels that have one huge hotel complex, and the St. John had little cute villa-esque houses scattered around the grounds. The pool was beautiful and it had its own private beach, which was very usually empty even though we were there in mid-August at the height of the season. Many people say that the beaches are not that nice because they are not like the long stretched of white sand you find in the carribean, but I actually thought the beached in Greece were stunning. The climate in general is much more arid, so you have these dark, course sand beaches against the deep turquoise water. It looks very Meditteranean and is awesome. I really enjoyed being able to go into town at night, party, and then wake up the next morning in my resort, with the ocean right at my doorstep.

I highly recommend this hotel. It is a 7 minute cab ride from the town and the grounds are beautiful. The rooms were in a very "typical" Greek style. We had a queen size bed and a huge balcony overlooking the ocean. They were very tasteful. Also, there are also no tacky americans here! We were literally the only americans in the whole place even though we went at the height of the season.

For restaurants, we only ate lunch by the pool at the hotel, which was delcious. For dinner, we went to Sea Satin, which was the most beautiful restaurant right on the water, and we also went into town and just picked a cute spot.

My main take away is that if you want to be in the middle of a crazy party 24/7, the St. John is probably not for you. If you want to be dancing on top of a bar at 2pm, then stay at one of the places in town. This hotel is for relaxing during the day, which was awesome because I stayed out till 5am anyway dancing all night. If you are going with a significant other or maybe with a group of girlfriends who want a more upscale, relaxing beach trip to complement the party scene, this is the perfect place to stay.

Loved St. John

by TripAdvisor Member jleal21

Initially, we were booked to stay at the Palladium Hotel. However, due to high winds, people were unable to leave Mykonos and our room was not available. The Palladium Hotel contacted their sister hotel, St. John and arranged our stay there.

At first, I was upset that I was not going to stay at our initial hotel. However, after one look at St. John...wow! I had no futher complaints.

The hotel had a car service that picked us up from the port and drove us to the hotel.

The lobby was very spacious and beautifully decorated. The room was beautiful. The bathroom was really pretty with the most amazaing shower. The room had a balcony overlooking the resort and water.

The hotel had complimentary breakfast. I thought Santorini was great, but the breakfast at St. John was magnificant. The service was outstanding.

The hotel restaurant was also beautiful with an amazing view. The food was extremely delicious. I really cannot say enough great things about this place.

The pool was very scenic and exactly what you see in the magazines. It is surreal. The pool is an infinity pool overlooking the ocean. The hotel even has their own beach.

My only complaint regarding the hotel is their steep hills in which is situated. It made walking up and down the hotel to and from the pool and room quite difficult. Ladies, do not wear heels.

Comments