Grotta Hotel

Similarly priced and rated as other 2 star hotels

More about Grotta Hotel

Lovely Family Run Hotel

by steventilly about Hotel Grotta, Naxos

What a lovely place this is. Conveniently close to the centre of Naxos town and the port it provides an ideal base. Family run (as usual for Greece) by very friendly and competent people who are eager to make your stay a pleasant one. Our room was large and nicely furnished, the air-con really worked, and it had a fridge and TV. It also had a very large balcony which gave us a side sea view. Public areas included a lounge with views out to sea and the town. It's in a lovely location, on the cliffs above the sea with nice views across the ocean and the town.
An "eat all you want" buffet breakfast is included in the price, as is free wi-fi access - and if you don't have your own laptop or other wi-fi enabled device, they'll lend you a laptop! For free!
The price was amazing. We booked through Travel Republic and got the room for Euro 38 per night for the two nights. Outstanding value for a place of this quality and convenience.

It's true

by TripAdvisor Member ellisbellis

Yes it's true - this hotel does deserve all the favourable comments made in previous reviews. Excellent location with some sea-facing balconies, a varied and filling breakfast each morning and very reasonable rates. Not least - truly hospitable owners.

Wished we had booked a few days longer at the Hotel Grotta and spent less time on Santorini, in a hotel costing twice the price.

Loved Hotel Grotta

by TripAdvisor Member funteacher

I used trip advisor to book my hotels in Greece. Hotel Grotta was a wonderful, relaxing place to stay. The rooms were sometimes small but very, very clean. The staff was so helpful and kind. My older kids loved to eat the free breakfasts. It is a five minute walk to town. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

As good as it gets

by TripAdvisor Member greymanu

The superlative reviews are all true - this hotel is one of the best we have stayed at.

Little more can be added to the fabulous reviews this place has received. The location, breakfast, views and cleanliness are all excellent and it is impossible to convey just how wonderful the service is.

A couple of tips to make the most of your stay:

Call ahead to arrange pick up from the port. Even if you are staying here as part of an island hopping package that doesn't provide transfers, the hotel will still happily pick you up.

On check-in we asked for a room at the front. There were none available but the owner offered us a self-contained holiday flat across the road instead. If offered the same - take it! They are right on the cliff edge with the most fabulous views, have a patio area with seating and contain a convenient fridge and hotplate. They are also maintained to the same high standards as the hotel rooms and as it is literally across the road, it is no hassle to get to breakfast in the morning.

Good Find

by TripAdvisor Member ABN

My husband, parents, and I stayed in 2 double rooms at Hotel Grotta in May 2006. We appreciated the transportation to and from the ferry dock. The hotel was wonderfully clean and friendly – one of my favorite hotels in Greece. We enjoyed the breakfast very much – tasty Greek yogurt, cereal, bread and jams, and fresh fruit. The hotel is 15 minute walk to the waterfront, which is a little out of the way. We had a very pleasant stay.

Great place!

by TripAdvisor Member meche

My two daughters (ages 12 and 14) and I stayed here for 4 days and absolutely loved it! The room was large, clean, and had an outside sitting area (although we didn't use it except to dry the bathing suits and towels...too much to do in Naxos!) The best part of the hotel are the proprietors- Dimitri and his sister. Upon arriving you are greeted with a cool beverage or a small glass of Kitron (a divine lemon flavored liquer that is made on the island) and given a wonderful photo album of the island to peruse. Maps and a myriad of travel books on Greece are also readily available. Breakfast is plentiful (I stuck with the yogurt and honey and have now been driving myself nuts in the States trying to find good greek yogurt made from goat's and sheeps' milk instead of cow's) and there is always a warm, smiling face at the desk to help you. We were able to get some laundry done and in the reception area is a revolving library (take one, leave one). The evenings are quiet even though the harborfront is a 5 minute walk down the dirt track. Like most hotels in Greece, you have to put your key in a slot above the light switch by the door in order to turn any lights on (so lights aren't left on when no one is home) but you also have to make sure all doors and windowsare fully shut for the AC to work. There was a small refrigerator in the room and plenty of space to stretch out. The shower and bathroom are small but that wasn't a problem. They will call to have the rental car agency bring the rental car and paperwork to the hotel for you and the island is very easy to get around. I loved the Hotel Grotta and would stay there again in a heartbeat!

Unbelievable Hospitality & Kindness

by TripAdvisor Member Globetrotter11

I already wrote a raving review about Naxos and Hotel Grotta plus its wonderful hosts/family esp. Nikoletta and Dimitris. But I am now speechless for the hospitality and kindess that they extended to me re my recent dilemma. I bought this particular Greek CD in Naxos town and upon arrival, I realized it was defective. I could not contact the store so I tried to contact Dimitris instead to get the address or phone # of the store so I can get a replacement as I really, really love the music/cd. Instead, today, I got in the mail a new CD courtesy of Hotel Grotta. This hotel is unbelievable. It's almost too good to be true and part of me don't want to share it to the general population for fear of it getting too pupular and losing its charm! This is what travel is all about........... UNFORGETTABLE town, hotel, and experience.

Little hotel, great value

by TripAdvisor Member fliptheflip

Compared to some of our hotel's experiences in the cyclades, Grotta is a paradise. Realy friendly staff speaking english, rooms are nice, clean, quite... Some with view on a beautyfull interior court. Breakfast is full of fruits and home-made cakes. The hotel is only 5 minits walk from the center and quite. The perfect place in Naxos.

Great Accommodation

by TripAdvisor Member NZ2

Very clean accommodation within easy walking distance to the shops & restaurants (8 minutes). We had booked Hotel Grotta on the internet based on comments from previous guests. Advised Hotel ferry time etc and they picked us up free of charge. Hotel on a small hill over looking the sea...great views. Owners gave helpful advice of things to do.....photographs etc. Able to swim in the sea just by hotel. On checkout after 4 days....hotel delivered our bags to us at the port in time for the afternoon ferry....again no charge. Breakfast very good. This is a family owned hotel now mainly operated by the daughter & son. We travelled for 3 weeks thru the Greek Islands and Hotel Grotta provided the cleanest and friendlist accommodation at a good price. I would recommend to fellow travellers.

A highlight of my stay in Naxos

by TripAdvisor Member Eye_in_the_sky

True; being # 1 does not mean the hotel is a five stars establishment. But if you don't need such kind of confort or if the design of the room or of the hotel itself is not a priority, there is a very high probability that you will love this hotel. I did and, actually, I would say that the hotel did contribute a lot to my liking of the island.

As mentionned in many comments, Nicholetta and Dimitri are two outstanding hosts. They will go out of their way to help you find what you want or to make your stay more enjoyable. Marine, who works evening shifts, is also extremely friendly and helpful. Any moment of the day, you always feel welcome and get this impression that you are the most important guest.

The room I had was of fair size. Decoration is plain or even a little dull. However, it was spotless and confortable. I was fortunate enough to have a balcony overlooking the ocean. The view was great and the sunset was beautiful. The sea in close enough from the hotel that I could fall asleep to the sound of the waves.

It is indeed a little walk to the city center (10-15 minutes at the most), but it has the advantage of being very quiet and of offering a much greater view for it is a little higher up the cliff(easy walk, no lie). Beaches are plenty and you can access them easily by bus or by car. The one that is the closest from the hotel is not really a good spot. You can walk to some very nice ones if you are a are willing to walk a bit.

I loved the island so much that I know I will return some day. And I know for sure that I will go to no other place than the Hotel Grotta.

Kastro rises above Chora - from Temple ruinsKastro rises above Chora - from Temple ruins

Comments