, Agios Prokopios, Naxos, 84300, Greece

Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

Costs 112% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• xuessium's Profile Photo

Resort-style hostel: I couldn't believe my eyes

I couldn't really believe my eyes either. VT member SWFC_Fan (aka Jonathan) had pushed for this hostel with the highest of praises. (Are you on commission, mate?) The pictures on its website really does not do it enough justice. The place is gorgeous for its price!

The young host (Kavouras Vagelis) and his Mrs. were gregarious, helpful and cheery. For good reasons - the place was almost fully packed! He actually run 3 setups together, all gathered in one location and this is the most economical of the 3.

The first thing that struck me was gosh, I must have stepped into the wrong place, for it felt more like a resort, than a hostel. Plush gardens of figs, bougainvilleas and cannas surround the compounds. The swimming pool was stunning, despite the slightly petite size of it. The grounds are immaculate and meticulous and you are just a 10 minutes walk from groceries, restaurants, tour agencies and of course, Agio Prokopios Beach.

For a price, you can also use the small Internet station and include in a buffet breakfast of cereals, eggs, toast, ham, yoghurt and coffee/tea.

Plus port transfer was part of the package.

What more can a cheapskate ask for? (GRIN)

Unique Quality: Even the room was probably one of the best rooms I ever had for the price of a hostel room. You get your own washroom/toilet. Very comfortable, bright and clean and you get your own (satelite) TV! (Amen!)

MY ONLY NOTE OF WARNING:
    WATCH OUT FOR THE MOZZIES!! Kamikaze grade!!
    Please lock up all windows and doors after 6pm and turn on the air con! The night belongs to these critters and unless you love the idea of donating blood to the needy, don't allow yourself to be sucked dry!

Directions: Off Agio Prokopios Beach, 15 minutes car/bus ride from Naxos Town

• Eugenetheduck's Profile Photo

Secret only the Swedes seem to know about

This is a hidden treasure. Family run by Vaggelis Kavuras and fiancee, who tirelessly look after all the needs of the hotel guests. All email correspondence regarding reservations and questions were personally (and cheerfully) replied too. He shuttles all guests to and from the port and he is always very friendly.

Rooms have basic kitchens or you can get breakfast (made by Vaggelis' mother) for 4 Euros.

5 minutes walk to Ag. Prokopis beach and bus stop to town or other beaches. Agios Prokopis has an abundance of cafes, restaurants and grocery shops.

Hotel guests were primarily from Sweden or Norway. There were no other guest that English was there first language.

Unique Quality: Has a fabulous large,deep(deep end 2m) swimming pool.

60Euros/night for 2 adults and a child.

Directions: South of the port at Naxos

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

Excellent value hotel near superb beach!

The Agios Prokopios hotel, in the beach resort of Agios Prokopios (about 6km from Naxos Town) is an excellent, laid-back hotel and is an absolute bargain at the price!

I stayed at this hotel during a month long island-hopping trip in September 2005. I booked the hotel in advance (via www.hostelbookers.com) at a price of just 18 Euros per night. Given the price I had paid, I didn't expect too much. I assumed the glossy photos on the hotel's website (www.prokopis.com) were digitally-enhanced to give a more favourable impression of the hotel. But they weren't!! The hotel is every bit as good as its website suggests.

I stayed in the middle season and the room rate displayed on the inside of my room was 90 Euros per night. Even if I had paid that price, I'd still have thought that the hotel was good value. So, having paid just 20% of this price, I was very impressed!

The hotel is actually a complex of low-rise, white-washed apartments built around a swimming pool and a number of gardens. All rooms have either a blue wooden balcony or, if on the ground floor, a terrace.

The reception is staffed by friendly, helpful staff and contains a wealth of information and guidebooks for the island of Naxos and neighbouring islands, including hotel and restaurant recommendations. The reception also includes a large bookshelf full of books left by previous guests and a computer terminal from which you can access the internet (at a small cost).

A buffet breakfast is served in the mornings and you can enjoy your breakfast at one of the many tables around the swimming pool or in the shade. The breakfast is not included in the price (it costs an additional 4 Euros per day), but it seemed to be good value for money from what I saw, with guests able to eat and drink as much as they like.

Unique Quality: Rooms are spotlessly clean, well-furnished and air-conditioned. All rooms are en-suite and have satellite TV, direct dial telephones and safety deposit boxes. Rooms also have a kitchenette – and the cold fridge is particularly useful. Maid service is daily.

The hotel is a mere 5 minute walk from the excellent beach and the restaurants and shops that make up this peaceful resort.

The hotel also offers the following services and facilities (according to the brochure I picked up from reception) which I never needed to use:

- children's pool
    - hydro-massage in the main pool
    - poolside snack bar
    - table games
    - children's playground
    - tennis
    - tour bookings
    - laundry service
    - private parking
    - babysitting

Upon checking out, the manager transferred me to the port at Naxos Town in the hotel's minibus to catch my ferry to Paros. The transfer costs 2 Euros which is significantly cheaper than the 8 Euro taxi charge for the same journey.

If you're staying in Naxos I would very strongly recommend this hotel, especially at the price I paid. During the course of my month of island-hopping this was the best hotel I stayed at and (apart from a cheap room in Tinos) also the cheapest place I stayed.

Excellent location, excellent value!!!

Directions: Leaving the beach, walk inland along the resort's main street and you will find this hotel (along with some other apartment complexes) on the right hand side. You need to take the right hand turn opposite the pharmacy - the hotel is signposted from here.

More about Agios Prokopios Hotel

This is a gem!

by TripAdvisor Member portoverde1

We stayed at the Agios Prokopios Hotel for ten days. We were so pleased with the hotel, the hospitality of the owners, Vangelis and Effie, and the ambiance that we plan on returning next year for twenty days. That says it all.

Amazing Hotel Owner Outstanding Customer Service

by TripAdvisor Member cmsterling

My husband and I were looking for a hotel that was located on a Greek Island that would give us the real flavor of the Greek Culture. We decided to book the Agios Prokopios Hotel based on the reviews listed in trip advisor. We must say it was even better than anticipated. The hotel is extremely clean and Vagelis (the Owner) & Effie (his fiancee) see to each and every need. The hotel is in a beautiful setting located within walking distance to beautiful beaches, lovely restaurants and bus transportation. We rented a car from Vagelis and toured the whole island. Vagelis helped by providing us with maps and even recommended sites to tour. We originally planned on spending two nights at Agios Prokospios Hotel but wound up staying for five. We kept extending our stay due to the wonderful time we were having. We even took day ferry trips to Mykonnos and Delos. We proceeded to our next destination which was Santorini, very beautiful but touristy. Agios Prokopios Hotel will definitely be on our best vacation hotel list. We plan on visiting whenever we go to Europe. Everyone should experience one hotel in life like this where the management really takes care of every detail to make your stay extra special.
Thank you Vagelis and Effie for a wonderful stay!

Merrill & Christine
New Jersey, USA

I Love Everything

by TripAdvisor Member 033120892

I found this hotel some years ago - there is nothing like this
special hotel Agios Prokopios, owned by Vagelis Kavuras.
During these years I have been there nine (9) times and
also brought family and friends there.

To live there one or two weeks is just wonderful - the
Kavuras family is like home. Beautiful garden, the pool is
always clean, the rooms are excellent - cleaned every day.

The service of that hotel is splendid and not to forget the
kindness you always take part of. I have recommended
this hotel to people in Sweden and Norway. telling them
to go their and enjoy their stay. When you are there - you
feel free!

Furthermore I do like to swim and the beach is situated
not far away. It is nice too that no trafic is around .

Last year when visiting the village I could not get rooms
for me and my daughter and two grandchildren - sorry to
say - and had to stay in another hotel. The hotel Agios
Prokopios was filled up with guests. But.... I visited the
family Kavuras in order to say hallo and tell them how
sorry I was not to be able to stay with them.

Now - in September 3rd - 13th 2006 I enjoyed my stay again.
This hotel - compared with many other hotels in Greece -
is FIRST CLASS.
Yours truly
Ulla Lindqvist mrs
[---]

Lovely hotel for a great price

by TripAdvisor Member S.Hopman

We just returned from a 9 day trip to Naxos and stayed in this hotel. The hotel was everything promised on their website. We booked the studio with kitchenette. The rooms are very spacious and comfortable. And very clean!!

It's situated only 2 minutes from the beach and restaurants but in a very quiet and nice surrounding.

We especially liked the personal touch. The owners are so friendly and very helpfull.

They pick you up and bring you from/to the port or airport. You can rent a car or bikes with them. Which is certainly recommend to explore this beautiful island.

I will definitely recommend this hotel and will certainly return in the future.

Samantha & Roger

Very nice hotel. Strong recomendation

by TripAdvisor Member robertSam

Hello,

Trully speaking this Hotel is exactly as we read in other people opinions. Very clean, good location, helpful staff, nice swimingpool, very friendly owner, his fiance and staff.

What is really good - location : very close to the beach, but quitet on the other hand. We have no problems at all with staying in this hotel.

we strongly recomend staying in this hotel.

best regards,

Robert and Kasia, Poland

Loved our stay at Agios Prokopios

by TripAdvisor Member margyk

We booked this hotel because of the looks and the price, via Venere.com. We arrived there September the 18th. We were met at the airport by the owner and driven to the hotel. We stayed for a couple of weeks, and thoroughly enjoyed our stay there. The owner Vangellis Kavouras was very helpful and friendly and spoke very good english. The room was spotless and quite big, with a nice little balcony overlooking the hotel pool. The room was cleaned daily and our towels were changed daily as well. The service in general was excellent, the whole place clean and very well looked after. It also helped that because it was the middle of September, the hotel was not very busy, but there was a steady stream of visitors coming and going until the our last day, October 2, 2006.

Overall, our experience with hotel Agios Prokopios and the service provided by the owner and staff was great. We highly recommend it to whoever is looking for a clean, nice hotel, nothing luxurious, but close to the beach and reasonably priced. We, for sure, will definitely stay there again the next time we visit Naxos island.

good living

by TripAdvisor Member Marie&Thore

we are a couple from Sweden and we always return to Naxos and there is only one place for us to stay. God standard and warm hospitality people. You are always feel that you are welcom.
Marie&Thore Marmin Kode Sweden

Great hotel, wonderful family!

by TripAdvisor Member Listeningtrees

Hotel Agios Prokopios had been highly recommended to our party of four women (of mature years!!) by a friend who has returned 4 times. He was right. It was a wonderful place.

We stayed 4 nights, October 4 through 7. Our rooms were spacious, clean, and nicely appointed. breakfasts were great and everything was really quite perfect.

The owner, Vasselis, and his fiancee, and the presence of Vasselis' mother and father, the original creators of the hotel, made this delightfully different from some beach-type accommodations I have stayed in. I liked the fact that there was a sense of the history of this hotel, and I had several interesting chats with Vasselis about the hotel. Black and white photos in the breakfast/computer room depicted the beginnings of the hotel, with his mother and father proudly standing in a field where now there is a beautiful pool!

The hotel's atmosphere is relaxed and it speaks well for a place when guests become friends with other guests (as we all did) and want to linger over a delicious breakfast to chat together (which we did!).

It was a 2 -minute walk to the beach, and at this time in October the beach is uncrowded and utterly spectacular. The water is emerald-green and swimming was a real joy. It was the end of the major tourist season, yet I never felt any sense of tirdness in the owners -- something I felt in some other places we visited. I would recommend going a little earlier than we did (perhaps during the last half of September) since 3/4 of the tavernas that line the beach were either closed already or closing shortly. That meant that we were stuck eating in the remaining three or four tavernas, and I didn't think they were all that hot!! However a terrific fresh fish dinner one night, and frequent visits to the fabulous ice-cream restaurant made up for it!

So, the long and short of it is that we are already planning our next visit to Agios Prokopios and we will definitely return to the AG Hotel. Oh, by the way, folks, their beds are exactly like all the beds we slept on everywhere in Greece --they are much harder than our North American hotel beds. After the first night of hardness, I simply asked Vaggelis' fiance for a thick blanket (it arrived within the hour) and I folded it on top of the mattress and then put the top sheet on top of it. That worked great for me.

great hotel

by TripAdvisor Member trixyjane

Stayed here for 3 night.s...great hotel and fantastic owner...

Nothing was ever a problem and would recomend this hotel to everyone...
We stayed in a room with a little kitchenete and it was great to be able to organize the occasional meal for ourselves if we wished..

Wonderful Experience

by TripAdvisor Member Dory

We just spent 4 nights here and had a lovely time. We were 2 couples and had two rooms facing the pool. The owners were by far the friendliest, most helpful folks we encountered in our 2 week stay in Greece. The hotel is well run, very clean and just a couple of blocks from the beach. The water was still too cold to enjoy for long, but the beach is very nice and there are plenty of good restaurants within walking distance. Our room had a little kitchenette which was very handy. We rented a car through the owner at an excellent rate and suggest you take advantage of this to see the island. We can certaily recommend this hotel.

Flowers and whitewashed buildings of Naxos shiningFlowers and whitewashed buildings of Naxos shining

Comments