Agios Prokopios, 84300, Greece

Priceline.com Booking.com eDreams

• xuessium's Profile Photo

Hotel Agio Prokopios's upmarket sibling

I was actually bumped upmarket for a night as Hotel Agios Prokopios was fully booked for my first night, and the host offered me a night stay in the more upmarket sibling, Hotel Dimitra, just next door.

The room was actually an apartment, and came with a small but fully functional kitchenette! (Which I made use of to cook dinner to save some precious Euro!)

The balcony of my hotel faced a small river and some farms behind. Sounds great on paper but it was a pretty dull view in the day but come night - you had better had your doors and windows locked up pretty tight after 6pm as the mozzies will come buzzing!

I opened the balcony doors once after dusk and the bright lights from my room shocked me to find the exterior glass door fully caked with large mosquitoes, trying to seek out cracks to sneak in, knowing food (me!) was just a glasspane away.

3 actually managed to get passed but sadly their ingenuity and bravery were in vain. 3 good hits and I sent all 3 to Mozzies hell. Never trifle with a boy from the tropics.

Unique Quality: There were lovely chairs and tables in the gardens below the apartments and the hanging bougainvilleas made for a great ambience in the day.

Directions: Off Agio Prokopios Beach, next to Hotel Agio Prokopios, 15 minutes away from Naxos Town by car/bus.

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

Great value hotel in Agios Prokopios

Hotel Dimitra is a very good value budget hotel in the beach resort of Agios Prokopios.

I think the most important thing to tell you about this hotel is that it cost just 10 Euros (6.81 GBP) per night for an en-suite single room in May 2006. I booked a 7 night stay here via www.hostelbookers.com

Hotel Dimitra is located next to Hotel Agios Prokopios (see other tip) and is in fact owned by the sister of the guy who owns Hotel Agios Prokopios. I stayed at Hotel Agios Prokopios in September 2005 and was about to book a room there again when I spotted the tempting low price on offer at Hotel Dimitra.

Location:

Hotel Dimitra is located just off the main road of Agios Prokopios. It is a 5 minute walk to the wonderful sandy beach and just a 2 minute walk to the closest tavernas, cafes and mini markets. There is also a travel agency, a car hire place, a snorkelling equipment hire shop and a pharmacy within a 2 minute walk of the hotel.

Agios Prokopios is 6km from Naxos Town and is connected by regular buses (1.20 Euros each way) or taxis (6 Euros each way / 8 Euros with luggage), or you can walk there in a little under an hour.

Room:

The bedroom was clean and well-furnished. It was similar in appearance to the bedroom at Hotel Agios Prokopios. My room had a double bed, air conditioning (which didn't actually work, but wasn't necessary in May), satellite TV, a fridge, a wardrobe, a wooden desk, a table and chairs, a kettle, bedside cabinets and lamps, an outdoor terrace and a small en-suite shower room.

Hotel facilities:

The hotel wasn't officially "open" at the time of my visit. The reception area was never open and I collected my key and paid my bill at the neighbouring Agios Prokopios Hotel. Although the hotel has no facilities on site, I imagine (given the common family ownership and proximity of location) that guests can use the swimming pool, breakfast area and Internet facilities of the Agios Prokopios Hotel. You'd better check this for yourself first though!

Unique Quality: I would summarise the pros and cons of this hotel as follows:

Pros:

* A quiet location and close to a wonderful beach;

* Excellent value for money;

* Well furnished bedrooms and en-suite shower rooms.

Cons:

* Lots of mosquitoes in my room. There were dozens of mosquitoes in my room every night. As many as I swatted with a newspaper each night, it made no difference as more came in through the shutters on my window each day. I didn't get bitten by them, but they kept me awake most nights. I would have given this hotel 4/5 if it wasn't for the presence of so many mosquitoes.;

* Lack of maid service. My bin was emptied every 2 days, but my bed sheets and towels were never changed during my stay. I did receive enough towels for 2 people at the start of my stay, so it wasn't a major problem;

* Air conditioning didn't work. This was probably specific to my room, and I didn't need it anyway in May, but it would be a problem in the height of summer. It may have been that the air conditioning only functions when the hotel is properly open for business.

A good value hotel in a peaceful beach resort. If you can get a room for 10 Euros, do so!! I'd probably pay a little extra for a room at Agios Prokopios Hotel next time.

Directions: Loacted just off the quiet main street of Agios Prokopios. 3-5 minutes walk to the beach. 6km from Naxos Town.

Comments