Oia, 847 02, Greece
Hotels.com Booking.com Expedia.com

More about Alexander's Boutique Hotel of Oia

Beware of dogs

My wife and I visited Alexanders boutique hotel in October of last year. I was not going to comment but I decided I better warn people that may be allergic to animals to rethink this hotel. The hotel itself is decorated beautifully and the view is amazing. We were greeted by Dimitri, he was very pleasant and helpful. The entire staff is freindly and very welcoming however, the reception area doubles as the kitchen and I counted 3 people smoking around the food preperation area and there was a big yellow dog next to the food. While we were relaxing on the shared balcony some guests from another villa were having breakfast and were surounded by dogs. One dog even got up on the table and tried to steal the food from the customers plate. One evening I counted 7 cats at the door of the reception waiting for the maid to bring food. I am allergic to cats so this didnt thrill me any. I think Alexanders is a great value for the money and the rooms are very well planned out. I you are a dog and cat person you will enjoy this hotel the staff is friendly and the lack of professionalism is relaxing but not really what I was expecting from the other reviews on this site.

A Location You Must NOT Miss!!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member WalkerTravelGroup

You might wonder from a couple of reports, whether the writers have:
i) ever travelled before!
ii) ever researched a location before visiting it!
iii) did actually stay at Alexander's!

Don't take any notice of them.

First - we experienced no pressure whatsoever - not even a mention, concerning other ventures e.g. jewelry. We found a business card in our room in amongst the hotel details, which I would expect from any business person wishing to make people aware of other enterprises. Alex is naturaly proud of his empire! I very much suspect that at least one report is the work of a competitor on the island - maybe not, but you would be foolish to miss this shangri-la!

Second - before getting in a taxi why not check to see how far it is and how much it costs to visit a beach or other attraction? On turning up at a hotel before 1pm or 2pm don't expect to get immediate access to a room. Of course, upon leaving, people will not want to exit their room until mid-day! It cannot then be cleaned and prepared in time for a 9.00am arrival :)

Fortunately common sense is the order of the day here.

If you want hustle and bustle, nightlife and noise, plus cruise ships depositing 100's of tourists a day to clog the streets and eating places then - go stay in Fira (Thira) - it really IS that simple.

BUT - if you want a relaxed, serene, carefree, romantic and idyllic location then Oia (pronounced Ee-ya) is the place for you and Alexander's is the place to stay. Also you'll pay double for comparable quality elsewhere in Oia.

Personally, I would avoid Santorini in the core summer months. For us it was the perfect Spring or Autumn (Fall) destination. We stayed for three nights over the weekend of the 14-17th October and, on two of the days, the temperature hit 32degs. Superb. Our cave dwelling - Sapphire Villa - was charming and immaculately clean - it even had a cd of 'mood music' ready in the player. But remember - it's a CAVE house folks, so expect it to be 'quaint', all right? Definitely one of the most atmospheric places we've stayed.

The shared patio area was also extremely relaxing with a view to die for. Again - it is shared so don't go complaining that "others were sat on it"

Eric was attentive and informative - but not in our faces. Don't expect staff to pester you - it's not that sort of a place. You are there to RELAX - it isn't a 500 room Hilton! On the one occasion we needed assistance (and Eric wasn't around) he was quickly accessed to speak to us by mobile phone.

It's a short walk - 10-15 mins. into the centre of Oia where there is everything from cafes to fine dining. We particularly appreciated Eric's recommendation, which we asked for, and he even phoned up to make the reservation and arrange that we had a 'romantic' table on the front. Superb!

Again - if you are too old or have lost all idea of romance in your life - simple - don't go there in the first place! Treat yourself to a shopping mall or nightclub in your own home city! :)

Eric also organised our day trip to the volcano and around the bay - even gaining us a reduction on the quoted price! Our airport transfer pick-ups, organised by Alexanders, were on-time and efficient.

We also took time out to walk the coast path to Fira which starts right at the back of Alexanders. Before embarking, we naturally asked Eric how long it would take and he reckoned around 4 hours. He wasn't far out as we managed it in 30 minutes less! It is quite tough walking for those not used to anything over 400 metres and could be described in places as a "goat track" - but you will hardly find a more stunning coastline walk in the world - including Big Sur, USA and Bay of Islands, N.Z.! You come across remote chapels and all the while a magnificent view out over the Caldera. Just remember it's volcanic - so take good walking shoes and no complaints about lack of greenery!

We had sunset drinks at the Windmill - a bar/bistro on the west point of Oia - but, obviously get there a good half hour or more before the sunset and relax with a cocktail or three. Don't complain that there are others there, particularly in the months of June - September!!

Our whole Santorini experience was wonderful - it's only 35-40 mins flight from the new Athens airport. We have travelled right around the world and if the flavour of the other reports (barring two!), plus this one, hits the spot for you - then you truly could not find a better place than Alexander's to while away the hours/days.

To anyone scoring Alexander's less than 4 stars, you may need to get out more :)

The best place you will ever stay!!

Hi travellers!! I want to make this easy for you, PICK THIS PLACE!!! I cant even describe how amazing it is to stay here. i have travelled all over the world and stayed in some very cool places - but this is now my number one!

Id like to thank both Eric, Alexander and all the staff for making sure i had an awesome stay. I often travel alone and i must say I have never felt so apart of a wider family so far from home. It was so relaxing just being there and enjoying the views, village and sunsets. I was totally blown away that both Alexander and Eric took the time to just hang out, chat and party with me. I have never gone partying with the hotel owner or manager before! But it rocked! I think I will be making this 27hour flight from New Zealand a regular event. I made so many good friends.

My advice to anyone looking for a place to go in Greece is to make this your major stop off. You wont be disappointed - If you are looking for a mix of relaxation, great people, character, service, and charm then this is for you. I give it my higest recommendation.

Good work Guys! 10/10
You'll see me again, and maybe I'll even move there like everyone else does!

Andrew (New Zealand)

Alexanders: Paradise in Paradise

My husband and I stayed at Alexander's during part of our honeymoon in late October. We agree that it was by far the best part of the trip. There was an initial problem with our booking (our room was accidently overbooked), but they definitely more than made up for the error. We had to stay in a neighboring villa the first night, but after that, we were treated to a room upgrade and a free honeymooner's breakfast. I can handle errors like that! The beds were actually comfortable, instead of stone slabs like so many other Greek beds. The rooms were beautiful (we had a chance to take a peek at the other two), the view gorgeous, and the staff genuinely warm and helpful. I had wondered, after the negative reviews, if this was one more thing that couldn't live up to the hype, but it most certainly did. Oro, the jewelry store, wasn't mentioned anywhere. I purposely went into the shop myself, actually, and am even now wearing the little earrings I purchased there. I'm pretty sure it was one of the least expensive things in the store, but there was no motion to get me to upgrade--just effusive compliments. And what girl doesn't appreciate that? (= We shared wine at the shop one evening, and they made reservations for us at Candouni, sending the restaurant two slightly enebriated customers. But as for the rooms, they were just gorgeous, and the staff so very attentive. If we needed something, we had it within three minutes. Car rental was a breeze; Eric arranged for us to rent a Smart Car, which is a really strange vehicle, but lots of fun, and pretty cool for the stick-shift novice (me). One can travel from Oia to Kamari in about 20 minutes, so you can see just about the whole island in one day, if you don't have too many stops. We did go to the wine museum and walked around three beaches, and we would have gone to Akrotiri and the museum in Thira if the former had been open and if we could have found the latter. It was a fun day, though, and what a pleasure to be able to come back to Alexander's after seeing the rest of the island. We had two breakfasts provided by the hotel, and two made by us. Either way was great, but being served breakfast on those covered platters that you see in movies (or cartoons!) does have its own mystique. The very, very best part of our stay, in my opinion, was being able to borrow one of their books (Harry Potter, in my case) and curl up in this loveseat-style nook with a view over the water, with my husband doing the same thing in the papasan next to me. Pure bliss.

Alexander's provided some of the very best memories of our honeymoon for us. We agree that of all the places we've been in our five years together, this is one of two that we would go out of our way to recommend. (The other is Harborside House in Marblehead, MA, in case you were wondering.) Thank you, Alexander, Eric, and everyone on the staff!

Alexander's is a wonderful place!

My husband and I stayed at Alexander's for three days in June 2004. The accommodations were beautiful. It was obvious to us that Alex had made this his labor of love.

Alex was a wonderful host! He took us to a great local taverna and we ate terrific food, listened to live music, and danced with Alex and his friends and family. In fact, Alex and his family and staff made us feel like a part of the family.

We will definitely stay here again the next time we are in Santorini!

Perfect Wedding Venue

We got married at The Alexander boutique hotel on November 5th and have very beautiful fond memories of the hotel, fantastic view and most especially the staff, Alex, Dimitris, Melanie, Ascia and Lule. They made our special day and stay a very memorable one. It was spectacular. The villas are decorated in traditional cycladic style and are fabulous. The hotel overlooks the Caldera which has breathtaking views. We will most definitely be going back and highly recommend it.
Enda & Padraic Moriarty

Wonderful

My husband and I just spent the most wonderful 3 days in Santorini this February. We have travelled to many destinations in Europe but we have never been treated as well as we were at Alexander’s Boutique hotel. The winter manager of Alexander’s, Eric, was gracious enough to give us a private tour of the island and also took us to a wonderful taverna in Akrotiri with the greatest seafood. After the tour, Eric brought us back to the hotel and then treated us to champagne and cheese as we sat and viewed the sunset, which was extraordinary as were the views. The next day we walked through Oia where we had the whole town to ourselves, which was quite the experience as we did find winter in Santorini to be fantastic. Curiously, I had read the review “beware of dogs” and I was not sure what we would find upon arriving at Alexander’s considering what this former guest had mentioned. So, upon arriving at the hotel, I was eager to see this pack of dogs hovering the hotel and I was surprised, disappointed maybe expecting the worst, to see that there were none around. So, I asked Eric about this, I also mentioned what I had read here, and he said that the reason that there happened to be dogs on the premises at that point, was because it was the end of the season and all the tourists that feed these dogs throughout the high season had left, and so all these stray dogs will follow any person that walks in town. If you make the mistake of feeding them as one of their prior animal friendly guests had done, they will stick around because they know there is food there. Unfortunately for the hotel, they were in the sensitive position of not being able to get rid of these dogs for not wanting to offend their pet friendly guests, which I found logical since I can imagine what the reviews here would be if they had chased or mistreated these animals…. Furthermore, Eric explained that their website states that no animals are allowed in the rooms and thus far they have made no exception to this rule, and that they do try to contain strays from entering the area. I must say that when we took our stroll through beautiful Oia we did create our own fan club of strays and I made sure I didn’t feed them…
Also, I did have a look into their kitchen area, which was sparkling clean, but what made a big impression on me was the big no smoking sign once you enter. I don’t know whether this sign was there before or not, but considering Eric is a non-smoker, it was good enough for me.
Overall, I though Alexander’s to be one of the best places I have ever stayed in, I stayed in the Diamond villa btw which is gorgeous and I got the tour of the other villas which were just as nice and unique, and I must say that the warmth and hospitality that their staff treated us with was exceptional.
If this were to be called unprofessional although relaxing than I wouldn’t mind finding more of these unprofessional hotels.
Thanks guys,
Genia.

My wonderful experience at Alexanders

by TripAdvisor Member lbhtd

My husband and I stayed at Alexander's at the end of February. It was a relaxing and delightful experience. We had booked the Sapphire suite but were upgraded to the Diamond Suite. The room was impeccably decorated and clean. The hotel and views are very romantic.

Ascia, Eric, and Lulu really go out of the way to provide outstanding experience for their guests.

We loved it, we are thinking about returning in autumn.

Lisa and Jason

A Place Unlike Any Other

by TripAdvisor Member ChristineoftheNorth

My sister, Marie and two of our friends, Laura and Jim, recently stayed at Alexander's and were treated to a vacation that was, in the end, so amazing words will fail to describe this hotel and this island. The staff at the hotel were absolutely wonderful and warm, and I mean everyone of them. From Olga who made sure our room was better than home every day to Assia who's smiling face greeted us every morning. Alexander, Eric and Dimitri were so warm and helpfull and really made us feel as though we belonged only there. We shared meals and wine and we all thank them from the bottom of our hearts for their hospitality that extended well beyond what you would expect from the finest hotels around the world. And of course Louis, who worked non-stop along with the rest of them to ensure we had the best of the best.

Thank you to everyone at Alexander's for the amazing week that we all had and we will see you again, that is a promise (or a warning, however you choose:) )

Christine

You MUST visit this beautiful hotel!

I have recently (March 05) returned from a stay in this amazing hotel with my sister and two friends. We found it through their (wonderful) website and as good as that looked, we were bowled over completely by the experience.
The owner, Alexander and his wonderfully personable and helpful staff were fabulous, the accommodation was perfect, the service top class, and the location and view of the Caldera were stunning. Oia is a beautiful town on the north of the island, and you could not do any better than stay in a hotel of this caliber to accentuate the experience even further.
We stayed seven nights and we all wanted to stay for the rest of the summer!!! My sadness on leaving was alleviated only by the promise we all made to each other to return in 2006.
We are all seasoned travellers and not one of us could remember a holiday that even came close - and that was all down to the warm and friendly people we met at Alexander's. He has a real gem here!!!
You must also visit Santorini Mou, Mihales' excellent restaurant (just ask Alexander - it is within walking distance) for wonderful food, atmosphere and a beautiful serenade from Mihales himself.
Book now and get packing...
Marie Maguire