Booking.com Hotels.com Travelocity

• altfineart's Profile Photo

Fabulous Hotel In Oia

We arrived suddenly 2 days EARLY, and even though they were not expecting us the Delifini Villas staff found a place fro a us to sleep, they were FANTASTIC! After our first night they upgaded us to one of their Cave Houses. I HIGHLY recommend, they are more than worth the price! It was beautiful and so peaceful.

Unique Quality: Outstanding! I can describe my whole experience by saying that one word! The cave house was perfection, we had a hot tub (too cold outside so we never used it) , a private patio overlooking the caldera, the views were to die for! The location was great right in the middle of Oia.
    One of the funny things was that house came with its own cat! On our first morning we were awakened by a tapping on our door and when I opened it there sat a cat looking at me as if to say, "I'd like my breakfast now please" That afternoon I went and bought a small box of food so the next morning our "wake up cat" got its breakfast. It was a charming addition to our stay.

Directions: Our cave house was right in the middle of town overlooking the caldera. The Delfini Villas office is across the street from a bakery and they have a small boat on their roof (you walk down to the office door) to help you know when you've found them.

More about Delfini

Amazing - great view, clean, reasonable price, nice owner

by TripAdvisor Member quality_h

My friend and I stayed here for three nights in August 2007.
We booked a studio, but when we arrived we had been upgraded to a cave house for the first two nights, stayed in the studio the third night.
The cave house was great, it had a full kitchen and living room, private veranda with amazing view.
The studio was also amazing. The studios were brand new (still smelled like fresh paint), different from the cave house in they had a kitchenette, and the balcony/veranda was shared. The views from here were even better then the cave house, in my opinion.
The hotel is located in a quiet area, but still very close to central Oia. However, Oia is very small, so everything is close to everything anyways!
The woman who owns the hotel is very very nice, she arranged for taxis to pick us up at the airport and bring us back. She met us at our taxi immediately when we arrived, and walked us to our room. She even saw us off when we left!
Reception is located about 2 minutes walk from the studios/cave house, but we did not find this to be a problem. It is on the way into central Oia, so it was convenient.
Overall, amazing time! I would recommend this place to anyone!

Bad experience

by TripAdvisor Member Capjoe

We booked 4 rooms including the honeymoon suite for our group. When we arrived, they said they had some sort of problem and we couldn't have two of the rooms we booked (including the honeymoon suite). Apparently, the travel agent booked a different set of rooms, etc. etc. They offered rooms with no view in a less than desirable location. We refused to be satisfied and, after heavy negotiation by my wife (who is Greek) they finally booked us in a very nice hotel -- Atrina (see our review). Atrina was fabulous!!!!!

The group from the USA

Wonderful view from the bed!!!

by TripAdvisor Member lilmm

We stayed here the last 3 days of our honeymoon in greece.

The room we got was quite small but the bed faced the terrace and there were double doors that opened and you could lay on the bed and look out to the sea and feel the breeze. This was our favorite part. We could also sit out on the terrace on some chairs and eat there or watch the sea and the people below. It is in a good spot, with a view of the caldera but not one of the "cave houses" that are found lower down. I definitely liked the location (although at first I sort of wanted one of the lower down cave houses) but I preferred being at the top because WE could see below to what people were doing in their terraces but they couldn't see us. It was definitely more private that way. And it was a good value (80-90 euros a night I think). The room was very clean. The room was tiny though, but we didn't mind because we spent most of our time in the room on the terrace or reading on the bed while feeling the nice sea breeze!

There is also a rooftop hot tub (but it is not hot, none in Greece are!) and we went in it once, it usually was not being used. There were some couches up on the terrace too.

Rena (the manager I think) was incredibly nice and was always there to answer any questions and inquire how we were doing.

The reason this gets 4 and not 5 is because the bathroom was so bad! The shower was something like a 2 foot by 2 foot square and you just stood in it and manouvered the shower hose (which wasnt attached to the wall) to wash yourself. there was no shower curtain so the water got all over the floor (we felt so bad that we kept flooding the bathroom!). we didnt get a decent shower our whole stay there. Also -sort of annoying - 20 minutes before taking a shower you have to go out of the room and turn on the hot water. This only bothered us in the morning because we had to wake up and put on clothes to go out and turn on the water and then wait 20 minutes to actually get up and shower. I guess it saves them energy though so its fine.

Don't stay in the room without a sea view because I saw in there when they were cleaning it and there is no window (the window faces some stairs and anyone walking by can see in). It has no charm at all compared to the gorgeousness of our room.

Our room was very light and airy and the decor was fantastic.

You can't see the famous Oia sunset from the room (it faces the wrong way) but we sat at sunset and enjoyed watching the houses on the opposite side of us take on a gold red sheen when the sun fell. I think the sunset is overrated and crowded in Oia.

Wonderful view over caldera

by TripAdvisor Member Waikauri

We stayed in the honeymoon cave suite for 4 nights (with jacuzzi outside) The spacious suite comprises kitchen, living area and bedroom. All rather dark. It is a cave house after all ! Everything was neat and clean, but not overly inspiring. The main reception area is in another building about an 80 metre walk away. So it is really a serviced apartment. It is not entirely private as access to the apartment above and below is through a gate onto your balcony. Not a big deal, but it maybe for those who want absolute privacy. The TV only shows Greek programmes which may be a minus for some. The real charm of this place is the unbelievable view of the 'caldera'.
It's in a great location, with only a dozen steps up to the main street. There is a great bakery and grocery store literally a minutes walk away. We enjoyed the balcony for morning breakfasts and a glass or two of wine at night. The lady who runs the apartment is charming and helpful.

A Great Deal!

by TripAdvisor Member dancingdolphin

We spent 2 nights in one of the Delfini's apartments. The location on the cliffs has an excellent view from the balcony. It's close to where you want to be in relationship to the town of Oia. This place is a great deal.. the prices are half what we paid elsewhere. The owner is very friendly and accommodating. The place is very clean. It's only about 30 steps down from the road which is nice, further down becomes a very hot walk! The decorating doesn't get as high of marks but I'd never let it stop me from staying here again... it's a case of "less would be better".... less window treatments, less fake flowers, etc. The wife manages the rooms, the man drives a cab... a great arrangement as cabs aren't necessarily easy to come by. Absolutely would stay here again.

Definitely a good deal

by TripAdvisor Member sascha93101

We (my wife and I) stayed at Delfini in a studio for four days. The studio is spacious, very clean and air-conditioned. During summer, you don't want to be in a place without air-conditioning.
The veranda is not very large, but still large enough for a breakfast for two.

You can see the stairs leading to the studio in this picture:
[--]

On the right is one if the cave houses, and there is another one below the first cave house.

The panoramic view of the studio is here:
[--]
The title says Cave House II, but it is actually the studio we stayed in.

The manager, Sima, is very friendly and helpful. You can rely on her to get you a cab to wherever you need to go, or to recommend you a car rental place. I think she also takes care of made services, and that was flawless too.

Romantic, Fantastic Oia. Bravo Rena! You are the best. Bravo Delfini!

by TripAdvisor Member 19101967

My husband and I stayed at the Delfini Hotel in Oia for 6 nights.
We had a lovely, cozy romantic room. The view was crazy,
seriously out of this world.
We had the best time. Rena was fantastic! She was probably
one of the kindest, sweetest ladies we ever met. She was
so, so helpful and always, always happy and always greeted us. This room was so very clean (spotless). Rena's special touch in details and decoration was very beautiful.
poli Kalo.
Bravo Rena, Bravo!!
We will see you again and thank you very much.
Lori and Daniel, Canada

The Cave House Suite of Delfini

by TripAdvisor Member snandi

We stayed at the Delfini Cave House Suite ( the one with the Jacuzzi ) from 22nd to 25th October 2007. No word is praise enough for the suite and the views from Delfini. Rena is extremely helpful and Sima ( hope I got the name right) was very very efficient and nice. The place is so beautiful it is easy to get emotional - so I will stick to the facts.

The taxi (booked by Delfini) dropped us by the St George Church. If you stand facing the Church, the Delfini Reception and the apartments are behind you - a short walk down the car-less main street. The Cave houses are to the right of St George's in front of you. A short walk down the street to the right of St George Church - a right turn and a 10step climb down the stairs brought us to the Cave Suite. The reason I mention the steps is because if your hotel is way down below - you would have to live with the prospect of having to carry your luggage all the way up when you are leaving. That way , the Cave House Suite was just perfect - 10steps and that's it. Reaching the Cave House suite was easy - Rena waits where the Taxi drops you. Then you just follow her.

The good thing about the location of the Cave House Suite is that it is a bit away from the more crowded part of Oia- so we enjoyed the privacy. The views from the living room and the private balcony was great - we had a ring side unobstructed view of the caldera and the sea. Do check out the Photos.

The suite had a large bathroom - with a large shower space ( a pleasant surprise after the micro showers of Athens). The Kitchen was well equipped with a hot plate, coffee/tea making machine and utensils. We cooked some of our meals and had no difficulty making our own Indo-Greek Cuisine. The local market and the bakery were a big help. So was the Internet Cafe near St George's.

I wandered around checking out the other hotels - including the very expensive Katiki - well I must say Delfini has the same view. I am quite surprised it doesnt get more reviews. I would definitely recommend the the Delfini Cave Houses - specially the one we stayed , the Cave House Suite with the Jacuzzi.

Wonderful value, wonderful hospitality and a little gem of a hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member ter2000

Bravo Rena! From the moment we arrived until the moment we left your hotel made us feel welcomed. We stayed in one of the basic rooms for three nights during the fierce heat of June 2007, and we were so comfortable and so blown away with our fabulous view that we were only sorry to have to move on.

Comments