Oia - Perivolas, Oia, 84702, Greece

Satisfaction Average

Costs 37% less but rated 18% lower than other 4 star hotels

More about Oia

steps downsteps down

Oia - Ammoudi (2007)Oia - Ammoudi (2007)

Santorini daisiesSantorini daisies

One of the many churches on SantoriniOne of the many churches on Santorini

Need help deciding hotel in Oia

by anubanerjee

I am visiting Greece for a vacation with my husband for our wedding anniversary. We will be spending 3 nights in Santorini in 2nd week of May. My folks are also joining us. So we would need 2 rooms and look at options where my folks won’t have to walk or hike too much to get to their room.

Post a lot of research we have liked Angel Cave house and Marizan Cave. Unable to decide which one to choose.

Here’s what we would like in a Hotel:

• Nice rooms- not too luxurious but nice, clean, comfortable rooms with great views

• Would like a place where we can gaze at the sunset from our room

• Looking at a budget of 100 to 130 euros per night

• A decent breakfast not just a loaf of bread and coffee

• A free car park and luggage carried to room

• Most important a gorgeous view and a typical santorini- oia- experience

Pls feel free to suggest other properties, if my choices aren't very wise. Your inputs will matter and help a lot.

Thanks

Anuroopa

India

by brotherleelove

See my response on TripAdvisor. I will add here that if you stay in a hotel with a view of the sunset or caldera there will be no parking close by the hotels as autos can't drive into that part of the village, but most of those hotels do have someone to meet you and carry your luggage. Parking is free in the village parking areas.

Hi,

Can you recommend a few other options, other than golden sunset? Also does marizan work or even that's not very wise?

Thanks in advance

by brotherleelove

Both Golden Sunset Villas and Marizan are near a carpark that is rarely full, due to its location at the end of the island, so from that standpoint either would be a good choice. They're very close to each other. And the walk from that carpark to either of these hotels is an easy one. once at the entrance, there are more steps to navigate at Marizan than there are at GSV. That said, once you're there it will also take a lot of walking and step climbing to reach the center of the village on foot. As an alternative, if you do have a car, you can drive from that rarely-full carpark to one of those in the center of the village and walk the rest of the way. In May parking shouldn't be any sort of problem no matter which car park you use, except for right around sunset when the village fills up with spectators.

One more centrally located hotel with accomodations that don't require any step climbind is Old Oia Houses, very affordable and convenient to everything. Ask for the one near the village clock tower. Also, Strogili Houses, on the other end of the village, has an excellent caldera view and there aren't many steps to reach their rooms. There is parking available nearby. If you're lucky, right in front of the hotel itself since part of it is on the street level.

by anubanerjee

Thanks a ton for your prompt response! We had looked at Old oia houses and had even liked it but as usual got confused with all the choices available. Strogili also looks really good. Now the only question is to go for a Hotel/ a B&B or a Specialty Lodging.

by WillieLewis

You guys totally helped me thank you

Travel Tips for Oia

BEACH OF AMMOUDI

by LoriPori

Directly below the town of Oia, lies the Beach of Ammoudi. This is where we had our Friday VT Dinner at The Sunset . The only way to Ammoudi is by foot, going down 214 steps. The descent just about did me in. Thanks Jim (Outforlunch) for sticking with me on the way down. Those slippery, sloping stairs sure are treacherous. The hard part is the way up so thank goodness Galatea arranged for coaches for us.

Go early and enjoy the views

by littlesam1

I strongly suggest go a little early before the sunset to really enjoy Oia. Take some time to walk the narrow streets, see the blue domed churches and just enjoy the traditional beauty of this village. Although its not as touristy as Fira, once the crowds start arriving for the sunset the village looses its traditional charm. Go early.

Oia

by Kaspian

Travel Dates: June 1 2007.

Oia (pronounced "ee-yeah" as I was constantly reminded by indignant people), is the perfect little white town displayed in all the "Cruise Greece!" brochures you see at travel agencies. I was there for an afternoon and evening as part of the 2007 VirtualTourist Euromeet. And although it was crowded with tourists, it was still a stunningly beautiful setting.

"Applauding the Sunset?"

OK... How can I put this diplomatically?
Every year thousands of people come to Oia to watch the sun set over the Aegean sea. It's one of those things that makes it into all the "Things You Should Do Before You Die," books. When the sun finally goes down all the people clap their hands and cheer loudly. It's all pretty ridiculous. I mean, I live in a small town with a giant lake and I get the prettiest bright pink sunsets from my window several times a week. Granted, I don't have a full-sized white windmill in my living room, but it's still a gorgeous thing to see. By the response in Oia, you would think these people had never seen a sunset. ...Or that this was the very last one for all time. They fight for places on stairs and pathways to sit and watch. Anyway, I digress. It is pretty, but don't feel too badly if you miss it or don't have the perfect weather to see it. It's just a sunset, people! Come visit me and I'll show you an equally stunning one in my own hometown.

"But Other Than That Weird Quirk..."

It was an absolutely beautiful town! ...Lots of narrow cobblestoned pathways through perfectly whitewashed walls, scenes of stacked buildings against a natural backdrop so spectacular that it looks like an impossible imagined dreamscape, a small harbour where colourful fishing boats bob lazily while music floats from nearby restaurants.

I was surprised to find out that the population of Oia is only about 1,300. There were at least five times that number in tourists.

Make sure you have lots of film, batteries, and space on your memory cards!

Comments