Booking.com Priceline.com Otel.com

More about Nostos Apartments

Fantastic Stay in Nostos Apartments

by TripAdvisor Member GKCeltic

We have just returned from a week's stay in Nostos Apartments and have to say it was one of the best and most relaxing holidays I have ever had.

The accomodation was perfect, very clean, and great value at the price. The views directly from our own patio area were fantastic and the room istelf was ideal.

Our host, Andreas, was fantastic and organised anything we needed (restaurant bookings, excursions, taxis etc.). He got us great tables to see the sunset in the best restaurants and couldn't do enough to help.

I can not recommend this property enough.

Wonderful Memories

by TripAdvisor Member temptingtravel

Let me preface this by saying that I travel quite a bit and often stay in very nice hotels. There was no disappointment in Nostos Apartments. If you are looking for a high end luxury hotel, this is not where you need to be. If you are looking for an authentic feel and to be part of the culture, this is exactly the right place. We were greeted by Andreas who waited for us since our flight was delayed, he graciously welcomed us and showed us around the property and our room. The rooms are small but intimate as they are cave rooms. The room was very bright and cheerful. We slept every night with our door and windows open with a light curtain pulled across (the room is air conditioned, but it was not necessary to use much because of the coolness of the room and the breeze). There are absolutely no words to describe the view from our patio of the caldera, a view which we would wake to from the bed in the morning. Unbelievable! The property is meticulously cared for with attention to detail. The breakfast was a light European style with sliced meat and cheese, cereal or croissant. Eggs were offered along with juice, coffee and tea, included in our room rate. The breakfast area is bright and cheerful with a wide open view of the caldera. The pool is small but sufficient for cooling off. Remember though, everything is compact when you are on the side of a cliff. We were celebrating our anniversary and Andreas acted as our private concierge. He arranged rentals and reservations. As it was our first visit to Santorini, he helped us with advice and suggestions. Make no mistake, lots of steps everywhere you go, but that is the beauty of the island. I really can't say enough good about our visit and how much we enjoyed both our room at Nostos, Andreas and of course the island, the culture and the people. We are returning next summer with our daughters and I will be booking with Andreas shortly. My only regret is that in the hundreds of pictures I took was that I did not get one of Andreas. What a wonderful vacation this was.

Best Stay Ever!

by TripAdvisor Member jerseygirl30

We just returned from a 2 week vacation in Greece where Santorini, specifically Oia was by far the best highlight. We were staying in Nostos Apartments for 4 days. Let me start by saying I am quite a demanding guest and Andreas (the manager) managed to make our stay perfect. It was very easy to book the room and obtain information though email. I always got a quick and helpful response from Andreas.

There are 2 options to get to Nostos. Andreas arranged a transfer for us for 25 euro. Once we got off the port with a little bit of looking around there was driver to take us up to Oia. If you feel comfortable driving in Europe (specifically the hair pin turns in Oia) you may be better off renting a car to drive to and from Nostos and also to see Santorini. Really there are only 4 or so major roads in Sanotorini but for the first time especially at night I thought it would be hard to navigate.

We had previously only needed to take buses or trains in both Athens and Mykonos but to really see Santorini you do need a car as the buses run on there own delayed schedule. Andreas was very kind to help us rent a car. Beware though if you do not know how to drive a manual car, make sure of this up front. We ended up having to pay more because we needed an Automatic. Also, do NOT book with Drossos Car rental. Our cousin rented a manual car from there and needed to change it because of a burning clutch. Even with the change the car was giving out on the hills of Oia. The Auto Europe rental we got was perfect and roomy and very easy to drive.

Our apartment at Nostos was picturesque. A very large place with a comfortable huge bed and a very nice deck with a view to die for. The rooms were very clean and we did not have issues with the shower. The water pressure was amazing (better then at home) Honestly you did have to be careful to not flood the shower but the bathroom fits in with the overally decor.

Make sure to ask Andreas about restaurant reservations. We like to eat where the locals do and Ameleminos (sp?) and the dolphin taverna were the best food in Greece and very few tourists to be found.

Overall, Nostos was excellent. Andreas answered every quest and went above and beyond to satisfy a very demanding traveler. Highly recommended.

Fantastic stay, exceeded expectations

by TripAdvisor Member brilui

We have just returned from a wonderful stay at the Nostos Apartments. The manager, Andreas, gave us excellent recommendations of where to eat and what to do after asking us what we wanted from our holiday. He was a great help.

The studio apartment was lovely, clean and excellently equipped (coffee machine, dvd/hi-fi, hairdryer etc.) with linen changed daily. However, the best feature was the view of the Caldera from the (almost) private veranda. Although due to the nature of cliff-side living, no apartment is ever completely secluded. If you do want a more private terrace, opt like us for the apartments not on the pool side. The apartments overlooking the pool are much larger but do have shared balconies (which are still very beautiful). Having got our bearings of the town we concluded that Nostos' location and view was among the best in Oia. Many of the other apartments we recognised from our research and from Tripadvisor were in fact situated a bit further out. Also, it is worth noting that a caldera view is far superior than that of the other side of the island and it's not worth trying to find an apartment purely for a view of the sunset. It was more than enough to go to watch it on an occasion at the castle which, while extremely busy, provided an atmosphere that was part of the enjoyment.

Though there are no beaches to speak of (unless you have access to a vehicle) we found the port of Armeni totally adequate for a day's swimming and the donkey ride back up the 300 odd steps is certainly an experience. (From our quiet terrace we also enjoyed the view of the port below and the activity on the vast staircase that leads down.) The pool area in Nostos, though small is also very picturesque and more than adequate. It did get busy once or twice during our stay but on other days we enjoyed it virtually alone. Although initially I had been keen to visit beaches, I found the pool and port satisfying especially with the views and welcome sea breeze. While the pool is small, many establishments, due to the nature of the cliffs and lack of space, are unable even to provide one so we were far from disappointed.

Oia is perfect for a romantic getaway. It is beautiful and cosmopolitan; evenings are low-key and revolve round families and couples eating out and browsing shops which are open till midnight. We also came across a few sophisticated wine/cocktail bars. There's a good range of restaurants, from the inexpensive, excellent local cuisine of Rocca and Anemomilos to the romantic finer dining of the pricey-but-worth-it, Ambrosia.

All about Oia and Nostos for us was wonderful, we would certainly hasten back and definitely to Nostos as it surpassed all our expectations and made our stay perfect.

Started off great – turned damp quickly.

by TripAdvisor Member trixink

Overall comment - Great view, potentially great room…but poor customer service and conditions of leaky room dampened our stay at Nostos.

After planning our trip to Santorini (and other parts of Greece) since December 2006, we were looking forward to our stay at Nostos Apartments in June 2007. We had read the reviews on Tripadvisor, did some additional research elsewhere, and determined that Nostos met our needs for a romantic time on this otherwise beautiful island! However, even the best-laid plans can turn damp…

We requested a “one-bedroom apartment with separate sleeping area from the sitting room, toilet, kitchen, private veranda with view of the volcano” at a daily rate of €180. We also received a 10% internet discount and a further 5% discount for our cash payment. Total price per night was €153.

What we got upon arrival was a very impressive looking room matching the description above with a splendid view – down many, many steps but worth it. However, we soon became aware that the bathoom drain did not…well, drain. This led to daily flooding of the bathroom, which on one occasion, spilled over into the bedroom area soaking some of our luggage, a rug, and the bottom of our duvet (which was not changed during our stay). The manager Andreas was made aware of the problem, commenting “not again”.

After the initial notification to management we had to constantly prod him to see if it was being fixed – which it never was. This led to us devising a ‘shower plan’ of which you would turn on the water long enough to rinse yourself, then turn it off…Soap up or shampoo without water…then turn back on the water to rinse again. Only to mention at this point that the great shower installed in this room could not be fully used as the shower screens were still not installed and water would go everywhere.

From here it became lots of little things that simply soured our stay at Nostos – our private veranda was not private but shared with the room next to us, the umbrella broke, the previously wet rug from our flooded room was left out on our picturesque veranda for the length of our stay, Nostos Manager Andreas complained several times to us about problems living on Santorini and the way the owner of Nostos (who lives in Athens) ran the business – not paying the internet bill, items not arriving from the mainland to fix the shower, inability to find good workers (ie plumber), etc.

This was supposed to be our special but it was not feeling so special. Our magic little hideaway of a room was bearly enjoyed and the nearby (and pricey) Ikies looked much more enjoyable.

However I do want to note that to make some amends, Andreas did offer to do our laundry and gave us two bottles of €6 Greek wine. Not much else - including an alternative room. Another plus was Andreas’s ever helpful co-worker who took our bags down and up the many steps and always was attentive to our needs.

I do have pictures (could not upload properly on this site) if you want to see them - email me.

Nostos a Resounding Yes

by TripAdvisor Member AaronFWA

This place is lovely...incredible sea view...very clean tastefully decorated room...wonderful light breakfast(included) and the staff!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Andreas is the best...wonderful attention to detail and always at hand to provide any assistance needed.
Would come back here in a flash.....Frommer and Fodor need to review this place for certain

One of the Best!

by TripAdvisor Member sandradeed

We just returned from a 4 day stay at Nostos in June. It was perfect. Andreas (manager) had arranged a taxi to pick us up at the port and someone to meet us at the taxi to carry our bags down (and up at the end of our stay). The view was absolutely incredible. I honestly think this is one of the best views of any of the hotels. Nice, roomy balcony. The room was quite large. We had a separate bedroom, main room and bathroom. Large double bed, big closet, tv. Main room had table and chairs and well-equipped kitchenette. Large bathroom with shower. Plenty of windows for light.
Every evening, the staff would come around and light lanterns on our balcony and around the pool. Fabulous! Rooms were very clean and traditional. Cement walls and floors kept it nice and cool.
There were quite a few stairs. I am not in very good shape, 50 something and could handle the stairs. In fact, it was good exercise after all the great meals. I would only not recommend the stairs if someone is disabled, has a LOT of trouble with stairs, or elderly.
The location was great. It was below the main walk at the quiet end of town. Away from the crowds heading to the sunset. We went into Fira for a day and were more than convinced we had picked the right location. Fira was good to visit for a day, Oia great place to stay. My pictures are too large (3 Mb) to post, but I will gladly share them if you e-mail me.
The pool was nice. After a hot day, it was nice to cool off. We didn't find it too cool in June at all (but then, we're from a north/central part of Canada!)
Breakfast room was nice and had a spectacular view as well. Breakfast was included in the price. Choice of croissants, buns, cheese, meat, jams, honey, cereal, coffee, tea, juice. Good, standard fare, always fresh. Andreas was especially helpful and knowledgeable. Staff very nice and professional. I would definitely recommend this place and would stay there again.

Great view, subpar service, many problems

by TripAdvisor Member luvskigteng

We had a 1 bed studio with separate sitting area.

Pros: View of caldera, help with luggage, pool

Negatives: shared veranda, constantly running toilet, shower soaked the bathroom, water runoff was always on our veranda, making it hard to "lay out", could hear every time someone flushed/showered because cistern (or something) was located right under veranda, broken patio furniture, dirty breakfast dishes, Help given from manager seemed to be a "my way or the highway" help.

We were greated by someone to help us with our luggage, which was very nice. Our room was down many steps, but this mean peace & quiet, which is what we were looking for. The view of the caldera was great (you cannot see sunset from there).

The room itself very spacious with new-age faucets/sinks. Nice stonework under bathroom sink. As usual in Greece, no curtain so shower wets entire bathroom (expected, so no big deal...just make sure to wear flip flops when going to the bathroom!) However, the toilet ran constantly and it was annoying to always fix it after going to the bathroom...especially in the middle of the night. The vent to our bathroom had no net, so many flowers fell into the floor and bugs could get in. You could hear everytime someone flushed because the cistern was located directly under our patio. Note on faucet in kitchen area: if water is not on full blast, it will completely miss the basin, drain across the counter and fall to the floor...be careful!

The first night was great, respectful neighbors on our shared veranda. Then it started to go downhill. Run off from air conditioning condensate ran across veranda every morning (used AC at night) making it hard to lay across veranda. Our patio lounge furniture was ripped, and therefore not usable.

Breakfast sub-par and dishes were found dirty. Recommendation of dinner location by manager was HORRIBLE. (DO NOT EAT AT CASTRO! bad bad bad. obstructed sunset view, bad service, gave us a meal from another table when they made a mistake there and then my husband ate first while I waited for mine to come out...then I ate alone. VERY BAD! Plus food was overcooked!)

Back to the story...Then a family of 5 checked in next door to us. With children appx. 4 years old, 10 and 14. They were loud, rude, and did not take care to watch their children. The youngest was constantly begging for "mama" and ran across our veranda constantly with her sister. At one point in time, she even OPENED our room door and proceeded to come in. Had my husband not have stopped her, she may have seen some things she was not meant to see until MUCH older. I understand that perhaps the loudness of the family is not the hotel's fault, but to have a loud family sharing a veranda with a romantic couple somewhat kills the mood. Mainly by stealing our silence away for 2 days. They played cards on the patio and were very loud, it was hard to relax when all you can hear is family chatter & boistrous yelling. Again, perhaps not the fault of the hotel....but beward that it is possible for families to be there with you, so be prepared.

Finally on our last day, we were told we needed to leave by noon about 10 times...When we asked about storing our luggage because our flight was not until 11 pm at night, we were told to rent a car. No other options were provided. The help seemed to be very one sided and no options were ever provided.

While the view and first night of peace was incomparable, I do not know that I would stay here again. The price was right for the view, but I think I will find somewhere where I can quietly enjoy the beauty, without worry of water on my veranda or sharing it, and for better more friendly customer service. For the price, I think I deserved more.

beeeautiful!

by TripAdvisor Member spaolo

We spent one week in this nice hotel in a studio (one bedroom with small kitchen and toilet) with a terrace that front the great view over the caldera.
The room was confortable with a lot of space available, in the terrace we have also space for deck chairs and a table with parasol.
The hotel is small and noiseless this also because is down 110 steps from the pedestrian road, this is the only glitch I would comment, but this is also a great advantage if you are looking for peacefulness to enjoy the panorama.
Breakfast room was nice and had a spectacular view, so the small pool.
We are eager by the support from Andreas, the manager ,who was so kind to provide us with every kind of information we need and to be always careful to Customer's need.
Surely Andreas could help everyone to find the right solution to any problem, he makes you feel really in holiday!
I would definitely recommend this place and I hope to spend more days in this place in the future with mio amore Elena

Sleeping underground in Oia

by TripAdvisor Member RoaringToGo

Very unique accommodation. This was our first time sleeping in a cave with a view. Even though Oia on Santorini is a busy town during the summer, the units are quiet and private, yet close to shops and restaurants. Our host was eager to make our stay positive. The experience at Nostos was one of the highlights of our trip. Good value for the price.

Comments