Artemis Studio

Megalochori, 84700, Greece

More about Santorini Island

Scenic SantoriniScenic Santorini

Beautiful Fira!Beautiful Fira!

One of the churches on OiaOne of the churches on Oia

Seaside Beach Hotel - KamariSeaside Beach Hotel - Kamari

What beaches would you recommend on Santorini Island? ever snorkel there?

by LadyinAZ

I am planning 4 days on Santorinin after being in Athens. Are there any properties that you would recommend on the beach for me and a teenage daughter?
also, has anyone experience snorkeling there?
Can you see anything from the shore or do you need to go out on a boat?
Thanks

by iandsmith

I think you should do a little more research on Santorini. Beaches there are but I, for one, wouldn't get excited about them. Do you realise it's an active volcano? In the middle it still spews sulphur and I've swum there but certainly wouldn't go snorkelling.
One of the main beaches is black sand and gets extremely hot in summer.
The most saught after properties are those overlooking the caldera.
Cheers, Ian

by LadyinAZ

I am reading as fast as I can, on the internet and guide books.
I'm looking for an island that is stunningly beautiful and also for easy beaches and nice snorkeling. Any recommendations? Thanks for the info.
Pat

by iandsmith

I was going to be facetious and suggest Tasmania!
On a more serious note, have you considered Rhodes? Lindos is a gorgeous spot; the town of Rhodes is very interesting and there are many beaches on the island, most better than anything you'll get on Santorini. Having said that, Santorini is spectacular, but for different reasons than you seek.
Hope that helps a little. Cheers, Ian

by boxerdogheidi

when are you going

by ashjon

There are many fantastic beaches on Santorini.
The water is very clear and clean so ideal for snorkeling.You could snorkel from the beach which is ok but to be more adventureous why dont you take a snorkeling trip with one of the dive centres located in Perissa.

The beaches are black sand because of it being a volcanic Island.Dont let the colour of the sand put you off it wont rub off on you...(sand is sand of any colour).
Some beaches are small pebbles,you wont get sand everywhere on these beaches.

Perrisa sounds like the ideal place for you. There are many small family run hotels a stones throw from the beach. Its a perfect place for you and your daughter to visit.Lots to do close to all amenities and watersports in abundance.

Travel Tips for Santorini Island

The Spirit

by Sharrie

You must meet her when you go to Oia. I was having a little problem navigating through the maze of Oia searching for Amoudi. I came by this shop that sells souvenir items for the Olympic. I found her! A truely marvelous person! Godsent! Her name is Maria... aha, with that name ;-)

Ok, I asked for my direction & I was hungry, so I took off. The journey to Amoudi wasn't an easy one. Even the local (I met another lady on the way down & saw her again while leaving Oia & she asked me if I survived the climb! lol...) proclaimed so. Anyhow, it was very hot... & I was almost breathless when I came back to Maria. So, she was kind enough to invite me in & we chatted ... for at least 30 minutes. It was very comfortable chatting with her. She's truly a gorgeous person. We exchanged emails & hopefully we'll see one another again sometime :-)

Palla Kameni

by SirRichard

Palla Kameni is the smaller volcanic island in the middle of the bay.
It has some hot springs with red waters (iron) and bubbles.
The boat stops nearby, so you can jump and swimm to the little beach and lie in the warm waters. Kind of fun!

Tavernas & Restaurants

by steventilly

It's common in tavernas on the Greek islands to get some kind of freebie with your meal, sometimes by way of an appetiser (bread & dips for example) and sometimes a "desert", usually fresh fruit. Almost without exception you get an ouzo or some other kind of drink at the end too. In one place on Kos the "free" starter was delicious and substantial and almost filled us up before our meal! In Rhodes, one place brought us so much fruit (grapes, and really delicious grapes too!) we almost burst.
On Santorini it seemed to be different. We never got anything at all anywhere except Ferentini in Oia, where we got a drink at the end, a local Vinsanto sweet wine.

SCUBA on Santorini

by percy961

I used the Santorini dive center which has a number
of outlets around the Island. I found them to be
very helpful and friendly.
We did two dives, one at the base of the volcano,
where you can see the under water lava flow and the
wreck of the "Santa Maria".

The second dive was from the shoore near Akrotiri,
here we swam out to the reef, with a deep drop off
and numeous fish. A great day out

PYRGOS

by sandysmith

Pyrgos is one of the most popular inland villages to visit. Its built on the top of a hill and was until the early 1800, the capital of the island. We parked the car at the bottom of the climb, looked at the useful town map first and began our ascent of the village. The village is composed of traditional houses built around the Venetian Castle and the warren of white small streets follow the shape of the hill - its easy to get lost in them. Bit of a climb up but so worth it for the views of the island. Towards the top is an expensive luxury hotel we nearly booked to stay in - I'm so glad we didn't as I wouldn't have liked the climb each day.

Comments