PO Box 45, Imerovigli, 84700, Greece

Expedia.com Booking.com Hotelsclick.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

• sweetbean's Profile Photo

Best views in Santorini

My husband and I finished off our honeymoon at the Astra Apartments, an all-suite hotel. The website for this hotel can be misleading because it only shows deluxe apartments which are incredible. We booked a standard apartment and were a bit disappointed when we checked in because we were expecting it to look like what we saw on the website. But it didn't matter. If you spend any time at all in the room, other than to sleep and shower, you're missing out. The views from our private balcony were absolutely the best. The hotel manager, George, was incredibly helpful and friendly. It was a great way to end a wonderful honeymoon.

Unique Quality: Breakfast is served on your private balcony every morning, to breathtaking views of the Agean sea and the caldera. The food was good (no restaurant on the premises). There is room service. On our last night there, we upgraded to a deluxe apartment with an outdoor hottub, and it was well worth it. The deluxe apartment was HUGE and very well appointed, and very private. George is the best hotel manager anywhere! There's no beach, as the hotel is too high up, but there is a nice little pool.

More about Astra Apartments & Suites

My children still talk about Astra Apartments

by TripAdvisor Member Holiday-happening

I have been meaning to do this review for some time as we stayed 4 nights with George at Astra Apartments during Easter of 2003. Easter in Greece at Astra Apartments- what a treat. Astra apartments were amazing. I bombarded George with emails from Australia and told him I was travelling with my husband and 2 girls. He promised us a nice room and on arrival gave us a magnificent cave apartment, which lived up to all the images that we thought Santorini would be. The children (10 & 11 years) were warmly welcomed and even swam in the pool when it was cold in late April and George didn't blink an eye as the kids squealed and splashed around. The continental breakfast was included and excellent, the hospitality, recommendations and assistance by George and his team were exceptional. The location was also an easy 15 minute walk to the town which was scenic. A perfect location close to bus stops and a local souvlaki shop which is a must during your stay. Astra apartments is truly worth the money. They are beautifully maintained, clean and you feel that you are staying with old friends when you are a guest there. We travelled from Santorini onto Paris, Switzerland, Florence, Rome, Positano, Amalfi and many other magnificent locations and even stayed in some of 'The Leading Hotels of the World' and our girls still rave about George and Astra Apartments and say it was their absolute favourite #1 destination. We will be back and apologise to Astra for taking so long to write a review. Even if you are nervous about heights like I was, Astra Apartments is perfect, as several of the Apartments are along a small walkway - so you have the views without the fear of heights. Stay there - it's a picture postcard!

Take a sunset cruise

by sweetbean

George, the hotel manager at the Astra Apartments where we were staying, highly recommended a sunset cruise, and he was right. The boat takes you to the caldera where you walk/hike to the top and have great views looking back at Santorini island. Then the boat slowly takes you around and to the hot springs where you can go for a quick swim if you choose to. They provide wine and traditional Greek snacks on the boat and it's well worth doing.

George rocks!

I spent months of researching the best places to go and stay before we left and choose to spend 7 nights on Santorini and 4 nights here at Astra Apartments! I'm so happy we did as my boyfriend and I just loved it here! I would have loved 2 weeks in Santorini as there really is so much to do and staying at the Astra Apartments made it all so easy! George (the manager and his staff) are so extra helpful and friendly!!! They really were amazing! The Cliff side pool at Astra is to die for too and they sure do know how to make fantastic cocktails! The room we stayed in was huge and had a gorgeous veiw of the sunset!

Best Hotel Ever!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member jsternth

I will echo most everyone's sentiments: George is awesome!!!

This was by far the best place we had ever stayed. We started our stay in a standard room. It was ok, but we upgraded ourselves to a suite with a private jacuzzi. Let me tell you, this is the way to go!! If you stay here, it is worth splurging a bit for the suite, but even if you dont, George the manager is the most helpful and friendly person you will meet on Santorini. We took almost all of his suggestions for restaurants, cruises, day-trips, wineries etc....and were not disappointed once. If you stay in Santorini, but not in the astra apartments, you are missing out on one of the most fantastic hotel experiences!! Would stay there again in a heartbeat!!

Overall Review = Great!

This is a little tough because - don't get me wrong - Astra is great, but it's not perfect. first things first, Astra is probably the best accommodation you can find in Santorini. And, yes, to chime in with everyone else, George IS pretty great - very warm and welcoming. BUT, when you pay the kind of money that you pay for Astra, you can tend to (understandably) expect something pretty close to perfection. The good thing is that most things ARE perfect. Our room, however, was nice and spacious but a bit dated. We had worn cushions and dated pillow/bed coverings in our room (as an example). Also, from a customer service perspective, I think it's odd that they don't accept credit cards for payment. Again, this is understandable (and even common) for the more mainstream properties in Greece. But when you're paying this kind of money and expecting a certain level of service, it seems a bit inappropriate and definitely inconvenient. so, yes, a wonderful experience with room for improvement.

Ok, but I'm not sure if its the best

I had an ok experience at Astra, but I don't feel as if I got my money's worth. The location, sunset and pool are really cool. Their web site makes the rooms look really spacious, but my bathroom was no bigger than a airplane's bathroom. The roof of bathroom is only 6ft high (luckily I'm short) and there is no way you could fit 2 people in the bathroom at the same time. The bed is very comfortable and the artwork in the room were very nice. I stayed at this hotel because it ranked #1 with TripAdvisor and their web site makes it look beautiful, but I stayed at 4 different hotels while I was in Greece and Astra was the most disappointing. I did not stay at any other hotels on Santorini, so I cannot recommend another one. Santorni is beautiful, but I would not return to Astra.

Married There

Well I can't really say we stayed there for any length of time, My wife and I got married pool side while on a 3 week cruise. We only had the one day there, but it was an awsome day with wonderful pictures and memories.The wedding was preplanned and we had a really nice room for the afternoon and a beautiful ceremony done by the mayor of Santorini.
Unfortunately that was in the year 2000 and we haven't been back yet.
We're planning a June anniversary trip back there for two weeks and now We have no doubt as to where to stay!!
Can't wait.

Not the Best!

A bit overpriced for what you get! We stayed in the Jacuzzi Suite which was very spacious but the pictures looked so much nicer on their website than in person. The view is breathtaking, but as we discovered is the same from many other neighboring hotels. Morning breakfasts that were included were repetitious and had no variation. The staff was ok, not as friendly and welcoming as some of the other reviews stated, makes you wonder who's submitting these reviews. Another couple that we met had the same comments. I would not recommend taking their sailing tour to the volcano's caldera (you won't see any lava) or "hot" springs as it was not worth the $40 per person charge. They don't warn you ahead of time but you better know how to swim because they make you swim a good distance from the boat to the springs that turned out to be slightly luke warm water area full of red clay mud..people couldn't wait to back to dock and get off the boat. I would have rather traveled to the other side of the island where all the beaches are and hung out. We ran into some other hotels with breath taking views, rooms and friendly staff at the Honeymoon Petra Villas for less the cost! They even offer this great sailing package. That's where we will be staying next time.

Ahhh.... Santorini

by sweetbean

My husband and I honeymooned in Greece and spent the last 4 days in Santorini. I had been wanting to go there for at least 10 years so it was a dream come true to finally be there. In Santorini, you're literally on cloud 9. Most of the houses and businesses sit atop cliffs and in the morning, your head might actually be in the clouds! The people, the food and the scenery made this one of my all time favorite places that I've ever been to. I highly recommend a trip there. We stayed at the Astra apartments and give it 5 stars and 4 very enthusiastic thumbs up. The standard apartments aren't too luxurious, so if you can afford a deluxe apartment, do it! But the room is so unimportant because really all you should be doing there is sleeping and showering anyway. If you go to Santorini and spend all your time inside, you'll be missing out!!

Which hotel is better?

by MIRIAMRYAN

Hello there! We have finally brougt our decision down to two hotels. Has anyone stayed in either?and which do you recommend?
We are trying to decide between the AEOLOS VILLAS and the ASTRA APARTMENTS.
Thank you so much, you all are being a great help to us!

Comments