Akrotiri, Santorini, 84700, Greece

Booking.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 65% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• 5 GREAT NIGHTS BY MATHIOS FAMILY !

t is our first time in greece we stay 2 nights in athens and move to santorini from luck with found mathios , a travel agency reccomend it to my family .We contact direct the hotel and kostas was ready to help us with our ferry tickets with our arrival transfer
    When we check it , we had a traditional suitte we loved the loft , we wanted to have our children in the some room . Two clean large pools what we loved them well organaise pool bar , and mama our hero we loved the greek meals every night !
    We leave in thailand we know the hotel standars we work with tourist also
    It is not easy tourist can be sad - mean for no reasson but you dont find familys like that on hotels, Breakfast fine every morning and relax way from the busy capitals and to much tourist.
    We loved athens but is to much people , akrotiri the village small village fine for us
    we experience scuba under by caldera beach , the original booking it was 3 nights we change it to 5 we wish to have more time but we will back
    Thank you to all the staff and to kostas the manage hard working man !!!

Unique Quality: Visit greece it is safe - clean - much history and sites - good weather ! and good cooking loves the fresh salads with feta
    what a real holiday ! Thank you to all the staff and to kostas the manage hard working man !!!

Directions: family lee can from thailand

• lenaparis's Profile Photo

one week in paradise

We love santorini , mathios village it is a place to have a good holiday ( if you dont want to pay 250 euros per night we dont pay those rates ) a greek family they reccomend us that place it is great - clean - good lokation - mama she is a hero run all day from breakfast to a late meal for all the guest !

Unique Quality: Perfect two pools and cozy bar for our drinks and light meals - they have also a pc and we check our mails
    Our room it was superior in the new section with 10 euros more from the standards , but all rooms we have seen are fine !

• best holiday for our family in mathios village

Our family wanted to visit Santorini the past summer july 2009 , we search on the web and we found mathios village , We read most good reviews and we book direct with Mr Kostas 3 nights in one of the family rooms
    They manage to take us from the port , when all the mevers of the family show the hotel and the pools we change our stay from 3 to 7 nights !
    We wanted to go to paros but we cansel it
    We had a lovely room , great garden views it was like a small home for us
    Most every morning we had our breakfast and we were of to the sea , working day and night we were serching a place to relax and we found it ~

Unique Quality: We spend our first 2 days by the pools , the family run a great bar-taverna with home made cooking and real low rates !we were spending for 4 persons 40 euros in total for a nice meal every night .... The place is very clean and the staff is very sweet to every one
    Under the Hotel there is the caldera beach with the best volkano views , in 20 min walk the red beach . we also rent a car from the manager and we have been in thira and oia ( we were so happy to be in mathios we feal there our second home ) Thira and oia and kamari it is great for visit but you feal like a tourist there real busy and real high cost for all ....
    One of the visits that we loved it was the trip to caldera great views magic trip, we have seen also a real volkano first time of our life!
    For us the week in mathios it was a great stay for all and hope to be back again in the near future

Directions: Toronto canada

• loved this Hotel and the family !

We love Greece , and the greek islands , we found the hotel mathios village reccomend it on manay sites .. It was 100% best holiday great staff , 2 great large pools and mamas best taverna loved mousaka and the fresh fish !!! we will reccomend this Hotel 1) clean rooms , 2) great rates we payed 75 euros early july for a double room , 3) personal service all the staff run day and night 4) home made breakfast ( a read e-mails from few guest that is poor breakfast ) we had ham , cheese ,yoguert , cakes , cookies , marmelades , chocco , honey , fruits , coffes – eggs , tomatoes variety of cornflakes what more you can eat ?

Unique Quality: Our room it was first floor with a nice balkony , we were 3 meters from the second pool , clean always with cozy beds and the pool bar - taverna , we loved the means fira and oia is fire on costs!
    in mathios eat so well dinner with 15 euros per person !

Directions: roma via san marino

• Deluxe? not really :(

I wanted to give a weekend in Santorini as a present to my parents. They loved Santorini but they disliked the accomodation I choose. From what they admitted:

*The location was not good, one could not really see the sea even if they would climb on the roof.

*The breakfast was a joke (one small cucumber sliced in million pieces to serve as many as possible).

*The "kind" receptionist (maybe owner) speaking on the phone: my father enters the hotel for the first time, the man thinks he is a foreigner, so he says to the person he was talking to, in Greek: "I have to leave you now, some *malakas* entered, let me see what he wants and I'll call back". And then my father says "Kalimera" and the man looks surprised to death. (malakas is not a kind word in Greek I assure you). OK I guess this was not personal, but still...

I should have booked a place in Imerovigli instead, at least to have some good view from the balcony.

Unique Quality: -Nice website, makes you think you'll go to heaven, but then you wake up (i.e. the "huge" pool that I thought it would be there, was as big as a bathtub).

Directions: Akrotiri

More about Hotel Mathios Village

Ok place - shame about the owner.

by TripAdvisor Member wonka1

Our stay in Greece was very pleasant up until we encountered Costas, the owner of Villa Mathios Village. The first thing he did upon our arrival, was sit us down like children and issue us with a long list of rules: No eating food or drinking by the pool anything which was not purchased at the pool bar. Our child was told she must be quiet between 2-5pm. No washing clothes out in your room, etc. etc. etc. Many of the rules were specifically designed to nickle and dime you and charges for food and drinks were quite high.

When we needed assistance operating a piece of equipment in the room, Costas came to the room and was ranting about the "idiots" who pressed the wrong button. On another occassion we experienced Costas being rude to the point of being verbally abusive. When I objected to this he became hysterical.
In addition, the treatment of the hotel staff was quite upsetting. One gentleman in particular, was run ragged.

I would avoid this establishment if I were travelling back to Santorini. The experience of dealing with Costas and family left a very sour taste in my mouth and a bad impression of people in the hospitality industry in Santorini.

Warm Reception at the Villa Mathios

by TripAdvisor Member London-Holiday

The hotel is located in a peaceful area of the island, with views over the caldera. It is in impeccable condition, architecturally attractive, and set in beautifully maintained gardens. The food in the restaurant was good, and the drinks were fairly priced.

We found the owner extremely helpful from the outset - from arranging a package that suited our particular needs, to organising car hire and trips on the island. He was highly approachable and keen to ensure guests experienced the best Santorini had to offer.

I would unreservedly recommend this hotel..

My new greek family at Mathios Village

by TripAdvisor Member mistert2021

First and foremost the island of Santorini itself is one of the most enjoyable islands I have been to (out of 7 this summer alone). As an avid island hopper and world traveler, I expect professional and courteous service where ever I go. Kostas is a very enthusiastic gentleman who takes pride in serving his guests. The same can be said about his staff, they made my family feel right at home. The staff is there whenever you need them and they really went out of their way to make sure we were are 100% comfortable. They were very knowledegable on activites throughout the island and they also planned some great excursions for us. They have 2 pools and a great bar that serves snacks and juices. The homemade food was absouletly delicious, as I am a stickler for authenticity. If you would like an experience like no other take my word for it and stay at this hotel.

Great Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Spidermans

Ok, ok, ok. Every hotel has its advantages and disadvantages but I think this hotel is certainly one of the better ones in Santorini. What striked me was the cleanliness of the rooms and the hotel itself.

If you are nice to people they are nice to you. Kostas and his family are just wonderful and we got along with them nicely.

The only drawback is the breakfast buffet which is always the same but it is of good quality.

I liked the homemade cuisine which had a good variety and authentic food.

The store next to the hotel comes in handy for all other stuff that you cannot get in the hotel.

We booked a trip to the volcano and it was perfectly organized and very enjoyable.

Overall, very good value and I would recommend this hotel in particular to families.

Kostas, if you read this, greetings to your wife and your little one.

Markus

Feel a bit ripped off

by TripAdvisor Member sonicstorm

The staff:
- The family were rude and surly with the exception of Kostas the owner
- Kostas was happy to smile, but even happier to take your money. He was also very difficult if you weren't happy with anything.

The cost:
- We got a "Grand Suite", plus a car for 700E for 5 nights including breakfast. I was promised a balcony with a sea view and told this was his best type of room. On arrival we were given a room with a balcony facing the road. We asked to move, but were told we'd have to wait a day as the hotel was full. He'd forgotten promising us a sea view. The next day we moved as promised and had a better view, but it was still hardly a lovely sea view.
- Apparently the car was done at a rate of 47E per day - we found the same car for 28E per day elsewhere, so presumably Kostas was taking 20E per day for booking it.
- We asked Kostas to book a taxi to the port on our last day. When I came to pay he charged me 20E for transfers to the port (a taxi would have been 10E) and told me it was better than the taxi. It definitely wasn't. I disputed it, he told me it was my best option - he lied to make more money.
- On our first day we arrived early and needed breakfast. Despite only eating breakfast 2 of the other 5 days, when breakfast was included, he charged us 20E extra for the first day. Apparently because I was already getting such a good deal. For the quality of the breakfast this was absurd.
- He told me I was getting an amazing deal and not to talk to the other guests as they would be upset. Oddly enough there was no rate card in the room and no price on his website for the "Grand Suite" (turned out to be one of about 8 Grand Suites). I feel we were ripped off. The room was dingy and dark. The furniture low quality.

The hotel:
-The location is poor, don't stay here unless you have a car. It is 15 minutes from anywhere interesting.
- The pool is nice, but not cleaned properly
- The rooms are not nice, but if you take a basic room it's quite cheap. Don't bother with any of the suites, they're not worth is and certainly don't deserve the name "suite".

In my opinion Kostas is a clever business man who has an average hotel and is probably making a lot of money from it. I would suggest staying somewhere nearer other things on the island and if you do stay here booking through expedia where you'll get a better deal.

Comments