Studio Irineos

Perissa, Greece
Studio Irineos
Booking.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

More about Santorini Island

Greek original jewelleryGreek original jewellery

A sparrow at our balconyA sparrow at our balcony

Thira's DolphinThira's Dolphin

What the bus looks like!What the bus looks like!

evenings in Santorini

by bdorsch

Our ship arrives in Santorini at 4pm and leaves at 11pm. Are there any wineries still open? Any recomendations on what to do in the evenings. I will have my daughters (18/21)with us. As far as I can see the 18 year old can go into bars and drink with us. Anybody know of a place where 40ish parents can hang with the younger crowds and both be happy? My husband and I both love to dance/drink etc.. and don't mind the girls drinking and having fun with us, just don't want a place that would be "inappropriate".

by brotherleelove

Yes, the wineries will still be open. Go to Santo Wines and watch the sunset. Tango Bar in Fira would work for all of you.

by Agraichen

That's a very late arrival time. Barely gives you time to see the island (actually NOT). A bus to the vineyards may not get you out there in time for tasting, so I'd just relax and concentrate on Theira instead of trying to get to Oia for the sunset and quaint shops along the walkway.

Don't take the donkey's up or down. Besides treating them rather not well, your clothes will be ready to just leave hehind. If you choose to walk the steps back down to the tender, keep to the outside when the donkey's are coming down. they don't stop and they know their food awaits them..so they cut the corners very tight.

by brotherleelove

There's a chance that you will be tendered ashore at the ferry port instead of at the old port below Fira. If that's the case you will be just below Santo Wines, which sits on the cliff above the ferry port. If your ship information talks about riding the cable car or donkeys up the cliff that means you'll be at the old port. And PLEASE don't ride the poor abused donkeys!

by bdorsch

I appreciate everyone's quick answers. I am knew to this sight and have been pleasently surprised by everyones willingness to share their knowledge with others. Since it sounds like you have traveled a lot to Europe, I had a few questions on other stops. Our itenerary is Venice,Italy; Split and Dubrovnick Croatia; Corfu,Santorini, mykonos, Irakilion,Nafplion and Athens Greece; and Ephus, Turkey. When we get off the boat in Venice we want to go to Rome for 4 days...any suggestions for any of those spots. Looking for some cost cutting tips(shore excersions are 75-150 Euros each!). this is a big trip for us, lots of celebrations, my husband and I will be celebrating 25 years of marriage, my one girl turns 21 and the other 18 and graduates from high school, so I want it to be memorable, but not in debt forever! HAHA!

Travel Tips for Santorini Island

The volcano tour...

by TimRowkins

I normally steer clear or organised tours etc., but there's one by boat out to the centre of the volcano which is worth it. You can hike about on the centre of the volcano which is still steaming, and the boat also stops off in an area of the sea that is heated by sulphur being released below. It's very salty, but you'll come out feeling great.

Walking to Oia

by sandysmith

One of our fondest memories - and there were several - was the walk from Fira to Oia along the caldera path. Well actually we walked from Karterados the village outside of Fira. The walk was about 12km long and with a drink stop and a lunch stop took about 5 hours. The path is up and downhill at times but the scenery is lovely not to mention all the beautiful villas and apartments passed en route - some lovely quiet places to stay, away from the tourists in Fira. The path proper starts just north of Imerovigli - look for the alley with La written on it - four churches will be passed en route to Oia too. One hill was rather steep and had some loose scree which was a bit of a challenge - there was an alternative path on the other side of the hill but its nicer to have views of the coast rather than the main road. The path does join the main briefly but rejoins near a roadside cafe (we stopped here for a lunch snack and was really tasty). We met a French guy who had run the path in the morning and was now walking it with his daughter - he must have been fit.
Wear good shoes and take plenty of water for the trip. I wished we had explored Oi a bit more but we had walked so much that day and we thought we'd return another day. It was a little hazy the day we walked, so not the best for photography but glad we did it then as it got so much hotter in the week.

SMASHING PLATES !

by DAO

Why do they smash plates anyway? Plate smashing used to be a common practice in restaurants here. It was done during dancing and music for celebrations, often weddings, but any excuse will do. This practice has been linked with the Greek concept of ‘Kefi’ meaning fun and high spirits. It has also been said to be good for relieving stress and chasing away evil spirits. The strangest theory is that if it is done during a wedding ceremony it will symbolise a long and happy marriage. Huh? Does not sound good does it?

Lately restaurants have stopped this practice because:
• It cost a lot of money for good plates
• Customers have been injured and may sue
• You may encourage drunken guests to smash other things too!

Some restaurants have taken to throwing flowers, but it just is not the same. By the way, it’s best to turn the plate over and throw it like a Frisbee. That’s’ the secret to make it go farther and splinter less.

BUY VT GEAR BEFORE YOU GO !

by DAO

Buy your VT clothes before you go! Please see the pictures of the OFFICIAL VT MODEL – Jennystravels. Jenny looks great here, of course she looks great anywhere – that’s why she is modelling VT clothes in Greece! It’s hard to find, but at the bottom of the VT Homepage is a link to order these clothes. Warning! They run 1-2 sizes too small for men.

Visit the Monastery

by 88Starflite

There is a tour that takes you up to the monastery but be away you can not go in. Do to this I would think it may fall under "Things To Do" but I think it's not too well know for most people so I put it here. The main plus is that you are at the highest part of the island and the views are great. If you drive up watch the road as it is steep and has many turns.

Comments