Firostefani, 84700, Greece

Orbitz.com Booking.com Travelocity

• AcornMan's Profile Photo

Villa Ilias: Fantastic view & convenient location

Villa Ilias is located in Firostefani, a village just north of Fira. In fact, there's really no distinct demarkation between the two and you can't really tell where one ends and the next begins. However, there is definitely a difference between the two. While Fira can be very overcrowded and congested, Firostefani is more peaceful and relaxing, while still having its own shops and restaurants and being within walking distance of Fira (which is VERY important because that's where the bus station is).

Villa Ilias is a small hotel clinging to the rim of the volcano. We got a small room with a magificent view of the caldera. The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. They also have a small pool, but the water was so cold in early June that we couldn't bear to be in it for more than a few seconds. I'm sure this would not be the case in the hotter months of July and August though. The hotel is a very short walk from a little convenience store, which is, well, convenient. There are also several good restaurants nearby.

Unique Quality: Amazing view, convenient location, friendly and helpful staff, pool for hotter weather. All-around great place.

Directions: Just take a cab from the airport or ferry port. That's by far the easiest way to get there.

More about Villa Ilias

Let the barganing begin

by luckybluesman

I love to bargain, even if I know the prices of things have been inflated to allow for it. Thanks to a tip from another VT member I decided to stay at the Villa Ilias in Firostefani. http://www.villailias.gr.
Their high season prices begin on July 15th. When I asked for a room on July 13th they told me they were fully booked. They said they had a room available on July 17th. I offered to take the room but would only pay the mid-season rate, which they agreed to. These folks are so nice to work with on the phone and I look forward to my one night stay with them. I will review the hotel upon my return.

Excellent Hotel for the money!

My husband and I just came back from a two week trip in Greece. We stayed 3 nights at Villa Ilias. We found the hotel to be great and it met all our requirements. The hotel is only probably 40 feet from the road, so that you don't have to drag your luggage to far. There are absolutely no steps in getting into the hotel. Many areas in Santorini require you to go up and down sidewalks with steps. The area is quiet, yet only a short (4 minute) walk to a mini mart and small eateries. The town of Fira is about a 20 minute walk away. But we didn't mind since you have an absolute beautiful view of the caldera the entire way.

The room was simple and yes, the bathroom was small. BUT we only paid 115 Euros a night! We had a direct view of the caldera. The room was very clean. We didn't find the sheets thin at all. We actually slept quite well. The breakfast was nice, it was simple; bread, jam, pound cake, sliced cheese and meat, coffee, OJ. But again this is a typical breakfast in Europe. We did stay at more expensive hotels while in Greece and when you do this they do serve eggs and bacon, usually.

We did get the opporturnity to speak to George the owner, he was very kind and eager to know how our stay had been. He did let us know that he is in the process of expanding his breakfast area so that his guests have the option of eatting outside on the patio or inside.

The photos on the website are right-on accurate. Our room was exactly like the picture on the website.

And they also have internet access for 1 Euro for 15 minutes which is great! We enjoyed our stay and would definitely stay there again. We met a honeymooning couple that agreed, they wished they had stayed at Villa Ilias because they ended up paying 220 Euros a night for a very similar room at a hotel just a few feet away from Villa Ilias.
It is an excellent hotel for the money!

Hated the room!

by TripAdvisor Member teresa47

Well, what can I say..... we did not like this place. Sure the views are incredible and the sunsets are gorgeous and romantic....but the room was such a disappointment! We did book a deluxe room with a view and did get the view. We had the very top part of the hotel - it looked like it was an extra add-on on the roof. While we had privacy on our surround roof and 360 degree views of Santorini, we hated to go into the tiny bedroom and bathroom - so tiny that it bordered on the ridiculous! We had to climb into the small hard bed from the bottom, as it abutted a wall, and the bathroom was smaller than what one would get on a cruiseship! Also everything was dirty and unkept. The bedspread on the bed was heavily stained as were the walls and the cupboard doors. The linens were VERY thin and the pillows hard as boards. The Management would be wise to spend a few measly euros to make this place liveable! We also had to endure the awful smell eminating from the plumbing in the bathroom.... had to keep a towel on the drain on the floor and the bathroom door closed at all times.... not really conducive to a romantic scene! The breakfasts were the worst that we had in Greece and we travelled all over Greece for 3 weeks. They consisted of hard bread and jam - no eggs, no youghurt! I cannot recommend this place, there seemed to be plenty of other accommodations nearby with just as stunning views, and looked like they were in better shape than Villa Ilias. In comparison they seemed to have caretakes who took better care of their hotels (freshly painted rooms, potted flowers outside, etc.)

I normally don't complain this much about accommodations when travelling, but this place was such a letdown after reading so many good reviews! I picked this place because of the reviews on this site. It could be that the other rooms may be better - did not check this out.

Fantastic!!

by TripAdvisor Member mykonos1

Stayed 5 nights in the studio apt. with 3 friends. What a great place . The view is unbelievable. The staff is very, very helpful. They helped us rent a car. I couldnt have found a better place to stay. The price was very resonable! I would love to stay there again someday.

Incredible view and location

My girlfriend and I stayed here for half a week and had the greatest time with their hospitality and accomodations. Most of the rooms have a great view and the pool overlooks the best view on the island. We found the location to be accessible to the main areas of town with a small walk(0.5 km).

A couple small annoyances were the showers which(by American conventions) were difficult to use. The rooms came with two beds instead of one larger(queen/king).

Great View & Location

by TripAdvisor Member ElsiMM

Vila Ilias, much like the other places in Santorini is carved into the side of the Caldera and has a breath taking view of the volacano and the ocean.

There is no direct street to the hotel. If you arrive by taxi, there is an area close by where the taxi can stop and you can unload. You'll have to walk about 20 steps or so to get to the hotel.

The hotel is family runned and George, who's the main contact and happens to be very helpfull and cute will help you carry your luggage to your room.

You will have to climb steps to get to your room, the pool and breakfast area, the office and the main pathway......but this is they way all places in Santorini are.

We stayed one night in the double room. The room is not very spacious, it has a small ensuite bathroom and kitchenette and a window with a great view. I don't recommend this room if you plan to stay a lot of time in there as it maybe a bit cramped or if your use to staying in 5 star hotels. It's a very moderate room.

On our second day we ended up moving to the Studio which was very, very spacious. This is the way we booked our rooms, we didn't move over cause there was something wrong with the double room. We were pleasantly surprised with the studio, as the pictures on line do not do it any justice. The studio has a big double bed in a separate area and then it has 2 single bed, a kitchen, and a big bathroom. There is also a very spacious sitting area in front of the studio with tables and chairs. Great place to see the sunset.

Breakfast is served in the pool area. They provide breads, butter, jelly, cereal, juice and coffee...nothing very grand. The pool is not too big and it has some tables and chairs around it.

I'm not sure if the hotel provides some type of parking arrangements. If you need to drive somewhere by taxi, pretty much it's about 15 euros any where outside of Fira. Anything in Fira is about a 15 to 20 minute walk. Walking through Fira you need to be physically fit. Be prepared to walk and climb up and down stairs. But the views make it well worth it.

Five star views but not with the price tag

by TripAdvisor Member beuka

This is fantastic hotel in a great location. The hotel has great views of the caldera and close to all restaurants and local transport. Rooms are small, but clean and comfortable. The hotel owners are very nice and helpful. This hotel is great value for money and would highly recommend anyone to stay there.

Excellent!

by TripAdvisor Member travellove71

This hotel was a great value for the money. Both the views and the service of the staff was excellent. The hotel has a pool with a terrace that overlooks the caldera. The rooms are simply furnished with wood floors. The one I stayed in had a partial view of the caldera as well as the cliffside buildings from the balcony (which had a table and two chairs) The room also had a nice size refrigerator and came equipped with plates, cutlery, and a coffee pot. The room was very clean. The morning breakfast was poolside and included in the price of the room.It's a 10 minute walk to the town of Fira and a 5 minute walk to the bustop that takes you to the town of Oia and other places on the island. The staff was extremely helpful at all times! I can not say enough about this hotel!

Very windy and 50% cancellation fee

Villa Illias is a small hotel on the caldera in Santorini. I booked a week from June 4- June 11 because it looked so beautiful on the website. When we arrived, it was so windy we could barely walk down the stairs to our room beside the small pool. I was unaware that there is a 50% cancellation policy, so we had to pay for three nights accomodations that we did not use. My advice to travellers is to only book one night to avoid this problem. My husband and I have been to Santorini three times and never encountered a 50% cancellation policy. We found a lovely hotel on the caldera guarded from the wind that was half the price, so we moved for the remainder of our holiday. Had a beautiful pool and lounge chairs for a Greek tan!! George was unwilling to work with us, so just be aware of his 50% cancellation policy. Santorini is a fabulous place to visit and we will go back again.

hotel Villa Ilias

by inkart76

Thanks for all the advice so far! does anyone know anything about hotel Villa ILias?it came up on travelocity and looks small, cute and close to Fira...

by brotherleelove

It's a great choice and it has a pool, which you'll be glad to have in June. It's only about 15 minutes' walk from the center of Fira but away from all the noise and chaos. You don't even have to walk on a road to get between villages if you don't want to, as there is a nicely-maintained, paved cliffside pedestrian pathway. I have a passing acquaintance with the family that owns it. They own another small hotel in Oia.

by johngayton

I haven't stayed there but I think I know where it is. Yep good location overlooking the caldera and about 15 minutes walk into Fira. Almost everyone on tripadvisor.com rates it highly. Sounds ideal for you.

You might find that it will be difficult to make a booking at the moment but a good idea would be to email the hotel with a provisional enquiry. Use their site www.villailias.gr and fill in the contact form - mention that it's your honeymoon as I think they do a little something special.

Generally-speaking there are no "bad" hotels on Santorini. The overall standard is fantastic and even cheap places are outstanding.

by Odinnthor

I was going to respond to your other forum inquiery, but you received such good responses that I did not chime in. this time I will, but only to agree with the above. The Villa Ilias is a great place for what you want....and yes, - you really cannot go wrong on Santorini. Not sure that I agree that you should save Athens for the return. I find that it is better to get the "busy stuff" over with first, and then relax fully for the rest of the time, but that is a matter of opinion. Five days in Santorini and the rest in Athens. Enjoy.

by johngayton

Chaos first and serenity later? Serenity then chaos? It depends how you travel - me: I just do chaos then chaos.

As an alternative to the touristy world of Santorini, and to miss out on the chaos of Athens, try Crete. Different world - the original civilization???

by Odinnthor

No doubt John, Crete is truly a great venture, but not if your main objective is to relax most of the time allowed. Personally, I would do just that, but then I have already lived in Athens and pretty much done all the islands already. Would however suggest Crete for her next destination......it is highly underrated, - and well worth a full exploration.....d:o)

by johngayton

Forgive our slight digressions OP. Santorini WILL be a great place for your honeymoon. Hope you don't get bored ;)

What he said....d:o)