Villa Manos

Tags

Budget Travel Beaches
See Amenities
carolondon's Profile Photo

A little way out of town, but worth it

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 26, 2006

OK, before I settled on this hotel I looked up reviews on the internet to be sure I was picking the right place, after all, I was taking my entire wedding party there and I didn't want to choose a dud hotel. They all said what a great place it was, and I felt reassured. On first inspection, it appeared great - clean, pretty rooms, good bathrooms, a large icy cold pool and lots of sun loungers and umbrellas, and only a 2 minute bus ride into the main town of Fira. However, the owner of the Hotel, Poppy Filitsis, is a law unto herself. I had been emailing her details of the group and their requirements for 6 months before we arrived, and every query was always answered with speed and in the sweetest way. I thought I had it all sorted, but when we arrived and spoke to Poppy, all of a sudden she had "forgotten" that she had promised all my guests a reduced price breakfast, she had also "forgotten" that all my rooms had been booked with balconies. And anything we queried seemed to have a 5 euro fee per day if we wanted to secure it. It is also not exactly in the village of Karterados, but a short walk along a rather hair raising road. I felt really fed up.

Unique Quality: The hotel itself is really really lovely. You are guaranteed a spot by the pool and something to sit on, and in the heat of a Greek summer, you need it! The rooms are cleaned daily and all come with a fridge. It is always nice and quiet at night for a peaceful sleep, and should you wish to head to town for some fun, the bus takes just 10 minutes, or a taxi is only 4 - 5 euros.
I want to recommend this place, because as a place to stay, you can't fault it. But I must warn you, before you leave home, fax or email Poppy with a confirmation of all you have agreed upon concerning your stay. Print off a copy for yourself and show her you have it the minute you arrive so that there can be no confusion on what was agreed and what you are paying. The prices are great anyway, but with any little thing cropping up for another 5 euros per day (eg: breakfast/airconditioning/balcony/kitchenette) you may find the price of your room changes quite dramatically! Poppy is very organised on email but disorganised in the flesh, so having a print out will save you from disaster and allow you to enjoy your stay. Which, once things are sorted, I am certain you will...

Directions: From the port, head to Karterados, but turn off when you see the pink and white building on the right saying "Manos Villas". If you get to the petrol station, you have gone too far.

snorril's Profile Photo

In the country

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 29, 2003

Well once again we took a chance by dealing with the touts. And again we were not really satisfied.

The owner told us that the hotel was in Fira and even pointed on a map of Fira to show us where it was. We were only supposed to be 10 minutes walking to Fira but it turned out to be 30 minutes on the roadside.

To top it all the owners said they couldn´t transfer us back to the port after our stay although in the beginning they said it was included.

Unique Quality: We decided to stay on as we didn´t know how far we were from Fira and also because the hotel had a really nice poolgarden and wasn´t that expensive.

Villa Manos

• Swimming Pool
  • Free Parking
  • Kitchenette

Santorini Island Travel Forum

Need advice about Santorini Island, Greece? Visit the Travel Forum for Santorini Island and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Santorini Island hotel reviews

Wines
Shopping
Pirgos
Restaurants
"YOU NEVER CHANGE YOUR TAVERNA"
TOP OF THE HILL WITHOUT THE (BIG) BILL
MAMA LOVES YOU !
Restaurants
Pls do not ride the donkeys
Warnings and Dangers
Very good food, fantastic setting
Restaurants
Don't Miss The Fresh Seafood!
Akrotiri Notos Tours
MAIN BUS STATION IN THIRA
Kamari Beach
Cruelty
RELAX ON THE BEACH AFTER LUNCH
ELENI'S CAR RENTAL
Transportation
!!! Don’t eat at Remvi Restaurant !!!
Greek Night Tavern Dimitris