Azolimos, Syros Island, Greece

Faros Village
Booking.com Hotelsclick.com Priceline.com

Satisfaction Terrible

• If the hotel were even half as good as the website

We booked over six weeks in advance, based on the impresive website. At the time we asked to be met at the port, a service advertised at the additional price of 7.50 euros. This request was reconfirmed twice.

On arriving we were not met, and, after some wait arrived by taxi. Trivial in itself, but a sign of things to come.

The only things professional about the hotel were the website and the swimming pool (see below). Staff were young, courteous, helpful and inexperienced. I cannot fault their individual efforts, but there was an almost total lack of guidance.

The website is a masterpiece of exageration and hyperbole, though based on fact. 250 m from the sea, true - but the "beach" is at the end of a goat track, and is rocky, dirty and no place for anyone not a strong swimmer. A sandy beach is 440m away as advertised - as the crow flies! The most direct route walking is almost double that, and the "safe, signed" route about 1.5 km. In practice it is essential to have a car, if you can't take your own, you must rent. The taxi service is OK but at peak times you may well be let down.

Similarly Faros Village claims to be 3.5 km from the Port. The actual road distance is nearer 5.5 km. Medical facilities are advertised - this actually means the island hospital (where, incidently, I received excellent treatment). Also advertised are the resteraunt, claimed as being high class, but only semi functional; spa - I never saw any such thing; gym - a minute store room with a treadmill & a multigym; conference facilities for 800 - don't make me laugh. The list goes on.

On a more serious note, there was a short power cut on night. When power was restored the pool PA played music very loud for about half an hour. Personally I found it hilarious, others did not and rang reception, to no avail. I DISCOVERED THAT THERE WAS NOT A RESPONSIBLE MEMBER OF STAFF ON THE PREMISES DURING THE NIGHT.

Do not be fooled by the 4-Star grading. Greek holiday resorts do not follow international standards, and this causes confusion. As a regular travelle on business, I would grade this hotel as being no more that 2 star.

Having settled the substantial bill ,my wife and I, both with conditions which demand no lifting, asked for help with the baggage. None was forthcoming, and I took the taxi into the hotel to collect the bags. The attitude apppeared to be "we've got your money - now clear off".

Unique Quality: The hotel has lots of poetial but is mismanaged at the highest level. It is apparent that it is being run "on the cheap".

Praise for the pool staff, I have never been in a pool with such high water quality.

Comments