Hotel Athina

PO Box 60, Lambi, Kos Town, 85300, Greece

More about Hotel Athina

Clean hotel-not 5 star

by TripAdvisor Member lotsofshoes22

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Blue Lagoon Resort in Kos for 2 weeks in September 2006. We paid £480 each.

Location of Hotel - About 20mins taxi ride from airport, 5 min bus ride into Kos town (bus stops outside hotel) or if you walk along the sea front it takes 30mins or more to get to the harbour in Kos town. You can take a bit of a short cut by taking the quiet road behind the hotel in to the town. Small shop on site and a small supermarket down the road, bottled water is very cheap so stock up!

Rooms - We had a sea view room which was quite nice, you can see Turkey and some of the smaller islands. The other blocks of rooms seemed to have no view, it looks like there will be rooms facing the pool but they were unfinished at the time we visited. Rooms were very clean and basic, cleaners came at same time everyday although didnt like knocking!
Good luck carrying your 20kg bags up 2 flights of stairs (no lifts as the accommodation blocks are outside)

Food - Very canteen style, collect your own knives and forks etc. Food didnt really vary, their salads were nice as were the puddings but the main meals were very disappointing. Breakfast was actually rubbish, no toast atall, just bread and horrible cold fried food (im not particularly a fussy eater either.)The self service drinks weren't great not real coke etc. No atmosphere in the food hall, the staff whipped your plates away very quickly as the hall didnt have the capacity to fit everyone in!
There are no armbands for all inclusive so anyone locally could have helped themself to the hotels facilities.

Bars- the all inclusive is incredibly limited, the foyer bar has very limited seating. The pool bar served cheese and ham toasties which was abit of a lifesaver for breakfast!
We weren't quite sure if we could use the facilities at the Blue sea beach which is on the same complex- I think thats where the entertainment is.

Pool- Fantastic, absolutely massive! There seemed to be people who come to the hotel during the day to stay around the pool, there are lots of sunbeds to cope with this.

Beach - im sure i read somewhere there was meant to be a beach bar?The beach is narrow but when the weather is calm its lovely. The land between the hotel and the beach is baron.

Overall - Very German orientated (the one folder for english guests in the reps section was shabby and had a note saying that if you are rude and disruptive you will be thrown out!- the only rudeness we found was from german guests pushing me out the way at every opportunity.) Staff not very friendly. Hotel modern and clean.
Hire some bikes and ride down to Tingaki, nice ride through bits of the island you wouldnt normally see.
The proximity of the hotel to Kos town (by very regular bus) meant we could spend everyday and night there, and because we paid so little for our stay we ate out most nights in the town where the food is fantastic. Not quite sure whether the hotel will change after the winter season and become more prepared for holiday makers. For the money we paid it was good value, wouldn't say its a 5star at the moment but that may change. Love Kos but not sure about this hotel.

Blue at the Blue Lagoon

by TripAdvisor Member Saphiner

Upon arrival which was late at night, the hotel appeared to be very grandiose; blue water under glass floors, huge marble reception desk, lots of modern leather furniture etc.

We were driven to our room in a buggy by George the porter. The accommodation blocks are not attached to the main facilities building and surround the huge swimming pool. The room was not so grand though. There was no minibar, the shower did not have a hook so you couldn't have a stand up shower and in the bedroom there was nowhere to hang a coat other than in the wardrobe. As I was sharing a room with a friend, the storage was not great as there is only one drawer for smalls, this may be ok if you go as a couple. There is a hairdryer in the bathroom but no iron/board. The satellite TV mostly has German and Greek channels and the only British channels are the news. The bedrooms are very clean though and the maid came to service it every day. We had a balcony which overlooked the sea, small islands in the distance and Turkey; this was beautiful for watching sunsets.

The food at the hotel was the main problem at the hotel. Many people complained about it. It was edible, plain and simple but nowhere near 5* standard. It was very repetitive, you would have carrots for dinner and then you would see the same carrots in a mayonnaise dressing for lunch the next day. One night, there was pork belly which was fine but the next day there was a pork stew which looked like it was the same pork belly but chopped into smaller pieces - very dubious. We didn't have fish at all unless you call fish fingers erm, fish? I stuck to the stuffed vine leaves, Greek salad (get there early as all the Feta cheese disappears) and the fresh bread mainly. The desserts were fine especially the Crème Caramel but again there was a lot of repetition and there was no cheese for those who don't like desserts. The Greek baklavas were delicious. I don't think I could have stayed at the hotel for two weeks. I started to get bored of the food after two nights. The dining room staff were friendly though but you could tell they were a little fed up it was their last week working at the hotel.

The all inclusive drinks were OK but non branded, the only spirits available were vodka, brandy and ouzo. I missed having diet coke. I stuck to red wine which was served out of a huge cardboard box but was drinkable. The beer is not too bad. The bar area lacked atmosphere and you felt you were sitting in an airport lounge as it was the same area as where the reception was. We went next door to the Blue Sea Hotel, far more cosy and you could still get inclusive drinks, I think the Blue Sea Hotel is the sister hotel of the Blue Lagoon.

The swimming pool was huge, you felt like you were swimming the ocean. The jacuzzi section at the far end is integrated into the pool. The same boring drinks were on offer at the pool bar as well cheese and ham toasties and the same cake was on offer every day so again lots of repetition. The sun beds were comfortable and plentiful at the start of the week. We stayed in the last week before the hotel closed for the season and the staff were working in the background taking away beds, mattresses, sun beds and anything else that wasn't hammered down.

The location of the hotel was good and quiet. The beach wasn't too impressive though - not very well maintained and there is a nasty swampy thing next to it. Some weird boxes on the beach which I think are meant for sunbathing in and to act as wind breakers. Kos town is easy to get to via bus or taxi.

On the whole, the experience of the Blue Lagoon wasn't the best. I booked last minute so only paid a little over £200 so I wasn't ready to complain for what I received. I would have begrudged it if I had paid any more than this. It is not a five star hotel and I would class it no more than a three star hotel. I wouldn't have wanted to stay for 2 weeks and was glad to come home.

Absolutely apalling - a disgrace to the trades description

by TripAdvisor Member darluncatering

It started off bad, we waited somewhat confused at the airport for the bus driver to take us to the hotel, not entirely sure that we were on the right bus as we kept asking him, are you going to the blue lagoon, and he kept saying, sea beach, 3 star, same thing! we then waited 2 hours for the bus to leave. I think they waited for more planes to land. Had I known it was 20 mins away and cheap I would have jumped in a taxi.
We got to the hotel, and nothing was open if you were remotely hungry or thirsty, and there was no fridge in the room. I was travelling with my husband and 2 year old, and was dissapointed there was no where to prepare or store her milk. Anyway the room was nice enough at first appearance. However, the only facility was a tv tuned in to all german channels, and a hairdryer. There was very little storage, only one wardrobe, no drawers, and the matress was so hard you will need a trip to a chiropractor on your return. Come the morning/afternoon, we had a lovely daily invasion of ants. We asked the cleaners if they had any spray, they really were the most unhelpfull and rude maids I've ever known. They barely spoke english, but knew enough to shout at my husban d for using two towells one day, and walked in to the room whilst I was in bed twice, motioning at their watches. It was so shocking, it was almost funny. Talking of towells, take your own. You get two tiny hand sized ones in your room, and none are offered for by the pool or beach. You have to pay for the sunbeds at the beach, which is a joke. It's a good 500 metres from the hotel, and is more like a rubble, sewer pipe type end of the road that happens to meet the sea.
I was told that it had loads of family activities, kids clubs, disco, entertainment. There was absolutely nothing!!!!!!!!! Not even a swing or slide!!!!! It's boring for adults, it's a total waste of time for families.
Now, the all inclusive farce! The food is appalling, shocking, vile, truly dreadfull. The only snacks available all day every day is ba very dry ham and cheese toasted sandwich. That's it! No chips, burgers, hot dog, no ice cream for the kids. This wasn't all inclusive, this wasn't even close to a two star. The selection of drinks available was a joke, and after 11pm you were expected to pay.
Complaining to the rep was a joke, he didn't care at all and had a lynch mob of around 30 waiting for him every day. He admitted to us that in Kos, they rate the hotel by the swimming pool, so there it is, this has a 5 * swimming pool. There is no bar, no club, no entertainment , not even a pool table. By the way, this is really a german hotel, all tv, music, posters are all in german. PLEASE, PLEASE DO NOT GO HERE, YOU WILL REGRET IT!

Loved it!!!

by TripAdvisor Member HolidaymakerEngland

I had the most relaxing and amazing time ever on holiday. The hotel is beautiful, the staff are amazing fluent in English and about 7 other languages. The food is on tap almost 24 hours of the day with a lot of variety. I never was up in time for breakfast but it didnt matter as there is also breakfast being served at the Pool bar. The swimming pool is absolutely huge, not too deep so you can always stand up and its also has jets so you can have a nice massage.

Kos Town is only 5mins away a 7 euro taxi or you can hire quads or bicycles from the hotel.
There is plenty to do at the hotel and outside for very reasonable prices.

I would advise this hotel for all age groups as they accomadate for everyone.

wonderful resort

by TripAdvisor Member debdjonn

Debbie and Mollie ,Lincolnshire
Fantastic place ,clean ,luxurious,and huge lagoon pool.
I was worried when reading reviews on this hotel but when we arrived i couldnt believe people found things to moan about.
Welcomed with a glass of bucks fizz,porter drove us to our rooms on golf buggy.
WOW WOW WOW!
Entertainment minimal but was start of the season so could get better.
Food was varied but not alot for little ones really but plenty of chips burgers hotdogs and pizzas at snack bar.
I would definitely go back and reccommend to families and couples .

Casa RomanaCasa Romana