4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Booking.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

Costs 589% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

• Relaxing Hotel

I visited the Summer Palace during October Half term

The room was spotless. The view from the balcony was one of the best I have ever had overlooking Turkey and Nisiros and the main town of Kardamena. Beautiful views while relaxing or reading or watching the sun set. The decor was lovely. Beer, water and soft drinks in the mini bar which was re-stocked every day. The rooms were cleaned every day and fresh bed linen and towels every day.

The food was excellent and very greek. Every meal had a good selection. Breakfast had cereals with fresh fruit, fresh bread, jams, syrups, a toaster to make your own toast, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausages, fresh meat, cheeses, and fried eggs and pancakes made specially fresh on the grill.

Lunch and Dinner were all selections of greek salad, cheeses, cold meats, pasta and rice salads, soup of the day, fresh bread, usually a couple of hot pasta dishes, varying between meat bolognese, carbonara or cheesy ones, moussaka, fresh kebabs, chicken, giros, greek hamburgers, chicken satays, to name a few all made fresh as you wait at the grill together with chips! A great selection of deserts every night, varying from strawberry gateau, black forest gateau, tiramisu, and gorgeous chocolate mousse.

The hotel does sit on a hillside and it is a steep drop down to the beach, they have a lift to take you from the hotel down to the pool and then on to the beach. It was fully operational the full time we were there and no problems at all. There are also stairs if you are feeling fit.

The Summer Palace runs is own shuttle service into Kardamena and is free,
    various excursions are available, the island of Nisiros can be seen from the hotel is a must, its a volcano and is stunning.

Unique Quality: The views from our hotel room and the Restaurant were fantastic

Directions: Set on the hillside with its own private beach about ten minute drive from Kardamena,

More about Mitsis Summer Palace

great time

by TripAdvisor Member karamac

Just got back from summer palace 31 oct 04, had a great time.

After reading some of the bad reviews just thought i would let you know how my visit there went.

The hotel is very clean and everyone seems happy to help. the bedrooms are a good size and are nicely decorated with pleanty of storage space, we were lucky to get a room that looked out over the sea towards turkey, best views we have ever had in any hotel that we have stayed in, lovely watching the sun set behind the mountains from your balcony at night. mini bar re-stocked, towels changed and rooms cleaned every day.

We all enjoyed the good selection of food on offer each day, had no problems finding something we liked, the views while eating were fantastic, there are a few flies but you get that anywere, they did'nt bother us.

The hotel is situated on the hillside but had no problems getting around including the lift to and from the beach. water slides good fun for both kids and adults alike

The beach was clean hand we had no problem getting sunbeds, and we could get drinks and snacks from the beach bar, good choice of water sports, the sand is gritty but is is easy to brush off when you have been in the sea, not like usual sand that stick to everything.

Hotel bus to take you to the town centre free of charge several times a day, just get a ticket from reception. car and bike hire available at the hotel. if you are spending the day out the hotel will provide you with a packed lunch.

Lovely holiday, lovely hotel, will definately go back there again one day, now that ime back in rainy england i wish i was back there.

What a great hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Stevie1966

We have just returned from a fantastic one week's break at the Summer Palace 13th-20th October. What can I say, the weather was brilliant too, approx 28-29 degrees every day for late October.

We got this holiday on a sort of last minute booking and paid just under £300 each for a week. We read the reports on here and were a bit apprehensive took about going. We usually go to Florida on holiday every year and have just got used to that type of holiday, but decided to have a week's break in Europe since my husband has just come back from the Gulf and we wanted a family holiday together. It's been a long time since we were last in Greece, but remembered exactly what to expect. We thought going to a 5 star all inclusive would just fit the bill.

All the whining reports sounded very off-putting. This is a great hotel. Definitely a Greek 5 star, but still very plush with it. First impressions of the main hotel were great, check in too a few minutes and then the bell-boy arrived to take the bags to our rooms! We expected a room with a day bed for our 9 year old and couldn't believe it when we got one of the family suites which were very spacious and fantastic because the kids have their own bedroom.

The room was spotless. The view from the balcony was overlooking to the left, Turkey and the mini pool, straight ahead was the Island of Nysros and to the left across to the main town of Kardamena. Beautiful views to look across while sitting relaxing or reading a book. The family suite was up the hill, which isn't a problem for a normal fit family and just a minute's walk to the main hotel. The decor was lovely and yes, we got the fruit and wine on arrival with beer, water and soft drinks in the mini bar which was re-stocked every day. The rooms were cleaned every day and fresh bed linen and towels every day was great. Nothing worse than 2 weeks in Greece or Spain with stinking towels and filthy sheets !!

The food was excellent and very greek. I have to say that my husband is quite a fussy eater and he couldn't get enough of it. Not one outbreak of salmonella during our stay!! People who were complaining about the food should have stayed at home in the UK and gone to Burger King if that is the sort of food they are looking for. When staying on a beautiful Greek Island, you want to taste their traditional fayre, or at least I do ! Every meal had a fabulous selection. Breakfast had all the cereals (including Coco Pops, my daughter's favourite) with fresh fruit, fresh bread, jams, syrups, a toaster to make your own toast, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausages, fresh meat, cheeses, and fried eggs and crepe pancakes made specially fresh on the grill. We were up late one morning, but they even do continental breakfast for the late sleepers for an hour until 11.30 am.

Lunch and Dinner were all selections of greek salad, cheeses, cold meats, pasta and rice salads, soup of the day, fresh bread, usually a couple of hot pasta dishes, varying between meat bolognese, carbonara or cheesy ones, moussaka, fresh kebabs, chicken, giros, greek hamburgers, chicken satays, to name a few all made fresh as you wait at the grill together with brilliant chips! The pudding were to die for, with a great selection every night, varying from strawberry gateau, black forest gateau, tiramisu, and the most gorgeous chocolate mousse. Not forgetting the ice-cream bar too.

I have to say the house white wine just flowed through lunch and dinner, got quite tiddly on a few occasions and was very palatable. We alternated between sitting indoors in the air conditioning and sitting out on the terrace overlooking the Aegean Sea, it was beautiful at breakfast and lunchtime.

I thought the dress code for the restaurant was great. You had to cover up your swimwear and the men had to wear long trousers for dinner. Everyone looked really smart. If you want to go in with your shorts and football top for dinner, then it's not for you.... go to Blackpool or Magaluf !

The pool restaurant and bar was fantastic too. Called the Italian Restaurant. We usually booked for lunch and was very handy just to get up from your lounger and go and sit down for lunch. The bar staff and chef were great. Didn't try the pasta myself, but chatting to other guests, they loved it. The pizzas were great, the calazone was my favourite. "Speedy" the waiter was lovely and very friendly and made fantastic cocktails! Again there was usually plenty of puddings and ice-cream on tap all day.

The hotel does sit on a hillside and it is a steep drop down to the beach, hence why they have the lift to take you from the hotel down to the pool and then on to the beach. It was fully operational the full time we were there and no problems at all. It there were people with buggies waiting to use it, we usually took the stairs. Again, any normal fit person could climb them no problem.

We went into the Town of Kardamena on the courtesy bus, which you usually book in advance during the day so that they know the numbers. It was always punctual at the hotel and also at the pick up point in Kardamena.

I enjoyed the hotel very much. Value for money was amazing and the drink flowed. We managed to order more than 2 drinks at a time, even ordered 4 at times. I was happy they had Gordon's Gin, Southern Comfort and Smirnoff Vodka. I happen to like Lowenbrau beer, so it wasn't a problem, it was cold and very refreshing on the hot days.

We hired a car from the hotel for the day and toured the Island. The car hire staff were very helpful. We travelled up to Kos Town and the hotel gave us a lunch picnic box to take with us (order the day before at reception). Mitsis Hotels (the chain who own the hotel) have one in Kos Town called "Ramira Beach". As we were wearing our Summer Palace wrist bands, we used their facilities too and had a lovely lunch there as well.

I hope I haven't been prattling on too much, but I just wanted to make sure I managed to get across how great the hotel was. We spoke to other guests who had read the holiday truths and we were all having a joke about it. We thought we were going to a holiday from hell and ended up in a brilliant one.

We were supposed to be travelling with Golden Sun, who went bust a couple of weeks before we left and had to re-book our flights which were £200 each. We paid just under £100 each for our hotel accommodation for the week. I think we ate and drank that in the first couple of days. Fantastic value for money.

Just on a last note, the entertainment wasn't that brilliant, but hey we made our own. We took trivia, cards and monopoly with us and had a complete ball.

Loved it!!!!!!

We stayed at the Summer Palace in May 2003, with our 18 month old daughter. it was only half board then. We also found it excellent and are planning to go back this year. I read all the negative press it got last year and was truly horrified, and felt deeply for those people, as we have also had very bad experiences whilst on holiday, but not there! We found the staff friendly and helpful, the food good, they even used to have a cooking display every night, how much fresher food do you want? The pools were all very clean, and although it was a bit of a trek to the beach down all those steps, when the lift was out of order; it was well worth it (and helped burn off those extra pounds). The maid service was second to none, and the shop down the road used to pick us up fresh milk for our daughter, every morning for us in nearby Kardamena, great customer service! So if we didn't want to leave the complex we didn't have to. Had a Great Time, Thanks!

Stop Moaning and Enjoy The Summer Palace

Like many others I had read the reviews, but kept an open mind. we do seem to like to moan to much about everything.

Having just returned from the Summer Palace (May 21 2005), what was all the fuss about, the hotel just blows you away, the location is stunning, facilites are everywhere, staff could not be more helpful and friendly. the resturant staff were attentive, the bar staff were excellent. The enterainment team work there butts of doing the job they are paid to do, and the pay they get is very low in comparison to the hours they work. If you dont want to join in,thats ok with them, you wont get pestered.

The hotel is built on the side of a mountain so do expect steps, lots of them, and there is a lift to take you to the beach if you wish. A visit to the beach bar and the pool bar in the evening is a must, the staff are entertaining and good company.

The Summer Palace runs is own shuttle service into Kardamena and is free,
various excursions are available, the island of Nisyros can be seen from the hotel is a must, its a volcano and is stunning, a trip to Bodrum in Turkey is also a must if you like cheap designer clothes, watches etc.

All in all, read the reviews, keep an open mind, and remember this is Greek 5 Star not Dubai 5 Star.

If you want a Good hoilday, good weather, good food, ultra inclusive then
go to the Summer Palace

Holiday Of A lifetime

I just arrived back yesterday from the Summer Palace with my girlfriend and it really was a holiday of a lifetime,the staff were friendly and very helpful,the room was very clean and comfyand the food was excellant. I dont have a bad word to say about it and would definetly go back

High class, well presented family hotel

My family (husband and two girls aged 4 and 7) and I went to the Summer Palce in Kos on the 16 June and I would recommend it as a good 4/5 star hotel. The food was excellent and I can only assume that anyone who has previously complained are only use to convienence style food. I noted the chefs removing food on a regular basis if it had been left for any length of time and replacing it with fresh. There was a hot food area that two chefs prepared fresh meat (and chips for those less tempted to try other vegetables). In the mornings they cooked fried eggs and fresh pancakes. The Italian Resturant is also worth a visit or two. You need to book it at reception the day before.The family rooms were excellent and the whole complex was immaculately clean. The staff were very friendly, helpful and hard working. The only advise I would give is for anyone to invest in a pair of closed beach style sandals if you were going to go on the beach, as it was small shingle that flipped into flip-flops and as it is now very hot over there like hot coals on your feet. We hired a car from Avis via our travel agent for 4 days and would recommend going to Paradise beach and Tragiki beach (if thats how you spell it) near Kos Town. Also well worth a visit. I would also comfirm all alcoholic drinks are not watered down and are brand names and the measures were freely poured as I found out to my cost!
Overall a brillant holiday and I wished we'd stayed for two weeks.

Nice Complex - Away from Hustle & Bustle of Kardemena

by TripAdvisor Member JohnAled

Spent a week here with my girlfriend. (Ages 25 & 29)

Hotel complex itself was very clean etc.

Private beach had its own bar etc until 5pm, although was shingle beach.

Beer was Lowenbrau, restocked room fridge every other day with 2 beers, 2 water, 2 orange.

All spirits were of good brand name quality.

Food was not that special, ended up eating out in centre of Kardemena where it was fairly well priced. Steak at £8.

Courtesy bus didnt run that often, there was a service bus also, but again it was every hour or so.

Taxi into Karemena costs 7 Euro, takes 5mins max.

Evening entertainment was more family orientated, and didn't seem to be that special at all.

Plenty of pools around complex (which is huge by the way!), although loungers very often towelled up by others! with no-one on them.

Small Italian restaurant (pr-book) nice, but nothing more than a cafe style, although very friendly service, and great views at night.

The worst thing for me was the fact that if i wanted to go for a stroll to have a look around shops bars etc in afternoon, i had to get a taxi etc which was a big pain for me!

Views were tremendous though from complex.

Staff were friendly and helpful.

Go to Bubble Beach (bus or boat from Kardemena) best day we had, if had gone there earlier in hol, would have gone back a few times.

In conclusion, if a quiet, totally relaxing and chilling out type of holiday is wanted, defo reccomend, if want to be able to do things at drop of hat, stay in Kardemena centre.

never again

As regular users of 5star hotels, this in our opinion is not one. It is clean. You will queue for the all inclusive drinks and you are allowed two per person but dont expect familiar brands or swift service as there is usually only one person serving. The reception staff do what they have to and no more. The rooms are kept clean and the mini bar is replenished every 2 days. Evening entertainment is usually at a disco on the same complex but all inclusive status does extend to this although part of same Mitsis group.
The food is of a buffet style and does cater for most people although after a few days the lack of variety does become boring. The dining staff are however very good. All in all cheap and cheerful but not 5 star.

Really enjoyed holiday our at Summer Palace

by TripAdvisor Member sofina

Myself and a friend came here for a week (ages 45) and had a great time we thought the public areas in the hotel and room were kept immaculately clean and the food was extremely good and varied and I can't believe the complaints about it that I have heard mentioned here. I can only assume the complainers usually only eat junk and processed food.

The drinks were a little disappointing, to be honest we didn't see one brand named drink and they were watered I can only speak for the gin, and the brandy was Greek Mataxa which is horrendous whether watered or not.The wine was atrocious but will add that is by our standards which for wine is high however, for the price we paid we couldn't really complain. And we just went into Kardemena and managed to buy some excellent wine to drink with our dinner and throughout the rest of the evening.

The grounds were lovely but would recommend spending a couple of pounds on the closed in shoes from the hotel shop to use on the gravely beach and in the sea. And with these on it was no problem to go down to the beach rather than put up with the mainly noisy pools.

The restaurant and bar staff were very helpful and friendly and so were most of the receptionists however one or two had ideas above their station and were extremely rude and this attitude rode over to the manager if one did need to mention something that was not quite right so the customer service skills in management could be updated. Maybe take some lessons from their serving staff? The entertainment staff were extremely pleasant too and the family entertainment was pretty good also even singles guests could enjoy this as well.

Overall it was a good holiday everything was very accessible, although we wasn't that fussed about the Italian restaurant and much preferred the food in the main restaurant but worth a visit just for a change. Also a word of warning to impressionable young ladies (when we were there) the guy who runs it thinks of himself as a bit of a don duan and on the contrary to what he says he is actually a very happily married man.

If you are looking for a pleasant holiday with decent food and clean surroundings then this is definitely the place to go however, personally I feel a week is just about right. And I have to say some of the complaints I have seen drawing from my own experience do not seem at all justified. I did read a lot of bad reports before we went but also some good ones so we went with the view that for the price (we paid £250) for a week even if it was just nice accommodation then we could eat and drink elsewhere. However, I do think those of you who are booked up to go will be very pleasantly surprised.

We went in May and the weather was mainly great and we came back very tanned. We weren't bothered at all by bugs and creepy crawlies however, I would reccomend that you take insect repellent for the evening as you can get bitten quite badly then even at the end of May.

Wishing you all a very happy holiday.

Nina, London

Summer Palace Hotel - Kos

by Cluff

Hi,

We are taking our don and two of his friends to Summer Palace Kos in three weeks time. Has anyone stayed in this hotel? Could you please advise me of the dress code for evening meals at this hotel as my son will be 21 whilst we are there and we all want to have a great evening celebration.

Cheers for any responses
Cluff

RE: Summer Palace Hotel - Kos

by genevaswiss

Hi, I'll stay there. For evenings meal, men must dress "long" trousers, not allowed shorts. As you'll stay in holidays i think ist not necessary jacket or smoking... Have a nice time and congratulations for your 21 years old son.

Comments