Ramira Beach Hotel

The Mitsis Ramira Beach Hotel
Orbitz.com Hotels.com Despegar.com

Costs 104% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Ramira Beach Hotel

Read this before you go, more tips than complaints!

We stayed at the Ramira Beach, Kos, from 9th - 16th July 2006. We had a very good holiday and one to remember, as this was our 3rd visit to the island. We booked this late, last minute with 2 weeks to go and paid just 330. GBP each, only thing that nearly spoilt our holiday was the 5 hour delay with XL airways…. The Hotel is kept spotless, our room was done every day and we had clean towels daily. All The Bar Staff, Restaurant Staff, Reception and cleaners are all very friendly and so eager to please. The food was spot on, a very good choice and there was always something new each day, and the desert table, all I can say is get use to having a 2 or 3 course lunch and evening meal every day, and then get yourself off to the gym when you get back! The animation team also put on a show nearly every night and seem to work so hard to make your holiday enjoyable along with activities and games throughout the day. The hotel has a large pool which is very deep but there is also a children’s pool that is quite shallow, there is also a new pool at the back to use too. Also check out the beach, you can get free sun beds, there is an all inclusive bar too, however take some footwear for the beach if you want to swim because it has a lot of pebbles!!!!!

Yes, there were a few mosquitos. We both got bitten 3 times, however go prepared. Buy some Sun Cream and Aftersun with Insect repellent, and take a plug in for your room, this worked for us!

Another tip, why not take a taxi from the airport, it only cost us 27 euros, no waiting for everyone else. First to check into the hotel, first in line at the airport going home, great!

We also treated ourselves to a mixed grill at the Psalidi Gardens restaurant just outside the hotel complex, this was the best ever. We also managed to watch the world cup final on a big screen on ITV, so think on any football fans! This was ideal if you just wanted to get a way from it all just for one night…

There is a water park near by, we went to the go kart track too which cost just 7 euros.
Hire a bike for the day and ride to Kos town, its so easy and safe on the bike path....

I am not sure if our comments will help you, as it all depends on what you have paid and what you expect for your money I guess. This was our first time on all inclusive so we can not compare it to anything else however we would not hesitate going again.
Hope you enjoy your holiday....

Anthony & Tracy

Good but not great!

by TripAdvisor Member Mandy15

I, my husband and two teenage sons have just returned from two weeks staying at the Ramira Beach Hotel in Psalidi. (10/8/06). On first impressions the hotel looked really nice and we were offered sandwiches and orange juice on arrival (4.30 am!) Our rooms were very basic but extremely clean. The towels and bed linen were changed daily. Our room had a hairdryer but my sons room didn't, but they had a bidet (not that we used it) but ours didnt so I think it is a bit hit and miss what facilities you end up with. One thing that surprised us was that there were no TV's in the rooms and having stayed in numerous 3 and 4 star hotels, this was a first. However, there was a fridge which was useful for keeping water cool. The only problems we had regarding the rooms was that the water in the bathrooms was very unreliable. On three occasions the pressure was so low that all we got out of the shower was a trickle and one evening when we returned to our rooms there was no water coming out of either the hot or cold taps for an hour and a half! We complained to the manager and the next day there was a big bouquet of flowers in our room. Nice gesture but I would have preferred to have had a hot shower before 8.30 pm. The water was never that hot either but warm enough usually to have a shower. We didn't find the staff very friendly and on out first night we nicknamed the barman in the small pool bar 'Mr Charisma' as he was so miserable. On the occasions when I called reception to report no water, not once did I get an apology.
The grounds of the hotel are very pretty with well kept gardens although we reckoned that the gardener (who also seemed to be the plumber, electrician and pool man) delibarately positioned the ever-on sprinklers so that it was impossible to get somewhere without getting a soaking! The pools were cleaned daily but were really saltly and made your skin and eyes very sore. One thing which we have never come across before on holiday was that if there were any unattended towels on sunbeds, they were removed by the pool guy. This was great as it didnt mean you had to get up at the crack of dawn to get a sunbed. You could usually go down to the pool and get a sunbed up until about 9.30 am. The beach over the road is not even worth going to - it resembles more of a building site with chunks of concrete and metal sticking out of the ground everywhere - even below the water line. There were not pedaloes or canoes as advertised and if you wanted to go on the banana boat it cost 35 euros and only went once in 14 days.
The mosquitos were quite a problem but if you keep your room doors shut and take a plug in, cover yourself with repellant when you go out and don't stand still for too long you should get away with only a few bites. The most effective repellent we found was Boots own aerosol. The branded ones didn't work that well.
The food and drink couldn't be faulted. The food was varied and plentiful and the waiters and maitre'd were really nice. Even the house wine was drinkable.
On the whole we did enjoy our stay at the Ramira Beach and it was very relaxing as it is a very quite resort (there is nothing there apart from a couple of supermarkets and half a dozen scooter rental places!) However, I wouldn't return there as I thought it was definately not a 4 star hotel (it actually says five star on their sign outside) and it was quite expensive for what you got. But if you want a nice relaxing holiday doing nothing then it was ok.

Enjoyable..but be prepared!

by TripAdvisor Member Bispy

My girlfriend and I spent two weeks at the Ramira Beach and generally found it a relaxing place which is well situated about 2 miles down the coast from Kos Town.

The hotel is All-Inclusive so technically there is little need to stray too far from the complex itself. Ther free food and drink is easily obtainable and the staff throughout: from management, waiting-on staff, entertainment crew down to cleaners, all work hard and certainly make you feel welcome.

The facilities in the hotel are pretty good too. The restaurant is quite spacious and service/seating is quick. The selection is fairly broad and caters for most tastes as well as vegetarians. There is a small shop, jewellery store, games room (for children), large tv lounge areas and a card room - as well as a bike hire facility also on site. The whole place is very clean indeed and the room cleaning/bed changing routines impressive.

There are two pools with well equipped sunshades although the hotel policy of no reservations of sunbeds before 10a.m. is not enforced, and by this time the majority of prime spots are 'taken'. The private beach is only 50m away, and this too has sunshades and decent quality loungers. Again most of these are gone by 10.30 but you can usually find spare ones dotted about. The beach itself is stony but the tide doesn't ebb or flow so you can stay a few metres away from the water all day which is very good. Tip - buy some cheap waterproof sandals that you can swim in - the stones do hurt a bit! (You can purchase plastic slip on sandals which are worth it). The beach has its own bar where you can get more free food and drink and the gyros and burgers are quite tasty surprisingly!

However, there are one or two things to be wary of. If you are expecting a 5* service (which some companies advertise) you will be very disappointed. I would say the hotel fails to meet any criteria for what I would consider 5* standards. The reception area, dining facilities and general organisation of entertainment etc would perhaps warrant a 4* rating (though even compared with Spain/Portugal etc Ramira Beach is a little inferior) so if you've paid top dollar you would want a refund. The rooms themselves are poor - spartan and a bit drab. The bathroom area is ok (hairdryer - no bidet) but in the main room the drawer space is poor and although we had a tv and fridge, not all rooms had tvs. No tea/coffee making or ironing facilities in any rooms which personally doesn't bother me, but it does for some - especially as the All-Inclusive deal doesn't start until 10a.m. Overall though a room to me is just a place to kip at night, so this aspect of the trip didn't really discourage me; as we got a relatively good deal (about 3* price) it represented value for money.

The final issue (which is not really the fault of the hotel) is the mosquito problem. My girlfriend was bitten 17 times on the first night! And even I (who am usually unaffected) was bitten at least once a day, every day. It isn't really a problem in the rooms - we took plug ins, candles and spray repellents - but in the toilets, bar area and outside at night. Again it doesn't ruin the holiday, but like the other little things it takes the 'gloss' off.

I enjoyed Kos very much, and the hotel was adequate. The staff were very good indeed, but I doubt I would return to the hotel itself unless it was 'spruced up' a bit. The Iberostar across the road is a bit more modern and 'swankier'.

excellent value for money

I am just back from the Ramira Beach hotel, after a one week stay with my boyfriend. We had an excellent time. The wether was abs fantastic, well into the 30 degs in the sun! The hotel and pool areas were spotless, and the rooms were basic but very clean. The service at the main bar is fantastic, with waiter service to your seats on the decking. The choice of alcoholic beverages was excellent; all kinds of spirits, wine, beer, sparkling wine at breakfast and a choice of 7 cocktails. The restaurant was very impressive and the food was good - great choices, although you did get a bit sick of the all-incluive (as you would anywhere) but Kos is so close, handy to get to and very cheap. You save so much money on the all-inclusive, a night out in Kos is well worth it. The beach was not very good but the two pools at the hotel were so good you did not need to leave. The evening entertainment was very good but very quiet (which suited us but may not suit young people who enjoy going to clubs etc.) I was very impressed. The animation team were very enthusiastic and very friendly (always spoke to you any time you met them in the hotel whether they were working or not). The only things we purchased were newspapers, magazines and bottled water (which was only 30cents- i dont understand how people can complain about having to buy this!!!!!!!!!!!) and an internet card, all of which was purchased in the hotel and cost in total about 30euros! not bad for two people for one week. I would def recommend this hotel for a couple wanting a quiet week in the sun!

We had a great time!!

by TripAdvisor Member The4Reeds

We stayed here with our two children, 12 and 10 and really enjoyed ourselves. We didn't like the salt water in the pool much but still had fun. The card room was great and the sitting area comfortable, it could do with some refurbishment. If you go expecting less than four star but still pretty good you shouldn't be disappointed. (We wouldn't have expected anything near five star accomodation anywhere for the very reasonable price we paid).
We had a good day out at the waterpark up the road. We hired bikes several times and cycled into Kos (and to the waterpark) on the wonderful cycle path.
We will eat most things, the kids are fussier but we spent very little on extra food. We did venture into McD's one day in Kos - by bike but found the food at the hotel to be fine. I loved that black bread and dream about it stil!!
We found the drinks to be as alcoholic as expected and served with friendliness. We were there in the run up to the world cup and the staff made it as easy as possible for all the foreign guest to enjoy their teams matches, extra tvs, posting times of matches bringing round lagers during the game etc.., it was a great contribution to international harmony.
The cleaner was brilliant, the staff in the restaurant really helpful and the bar staff were good, we didn't have much problem with queues. We didn't really have much to do with the animation team but they seemed to be having a good time.
I would advise an early luch at the beach bar if you're looking for the gyros - they disappeared very quickly and were gone by 12.30 when we were there.
The mosquitoes were a problem but again they didn't spoil the holiday.
We were sad to leave and wouldn't need much encouragement to go back.
Thank you Ramira Beach!

true ramira

we stayed at hotel for 1 week, the staff were good, the food was good, but if you did not have your driving license you were unable to explore the whole island, you must take it with you, else you end up stranded there, at night time you need more enter tainment. we did not get bitten much, but we did aply repellant regualy, the worst part of hol was getting home we were delayed for 24 hrs, althogh we were put up in another hotel it meant a night time flight instead of day flight and came home exhausted, on a few hours sleep, my advise take driving license, take repellant, take a radio with you as no english radio or tv in rooms, good luck.

Misrepresented so disappointed.

YOU MUST READ THIS. Any high rating for this place is coming from someone who has no experience or knowledge of the star system, or more likely it is ‘planted’ to jack the rating up. There is no aspect of this resort that would qualify as 5 star. Service and the pool area could optimistically be 4 star but everything else is 2 or 3 star, - even the beach, which is large gray stones and faces into the prevailing wind. 5 star is luxury. This place is basic 3 star. The standard is budget and the maintenance non-existent.

These guys have re-written the 5 star standard for themselves and it is meaningless. Old, grotty fittings in the bathrooms. No TV. Battered old fridge. I was told not to drink the tap water and had to pay for water in the room. Had to pay to use the room safe. Skinny mattress on wooden slats. No head board, and only one skinny pillow against a concrete wall. Paint falling off woodwork, and very old and battered deck furniture. I was sold this as a 5 star package!

The food was of low standard by Western standards. Breakfast was advertised as ‘American style buffet’. Cordial instead of juice and fried luncheon instead of bacon, in a 5 star resort? These guys are squeezing every last cent out of this operation. It must be very profitable!

MITSIS, and SUNSTAR LEISURE who promote it, are deliberately misrepresenting this as 5 star and raking in a nice premium for a standard they do not deliver. AVOID!

great holiday

by TripAdvisor Member DazShropshire

This holiday was great value for money for what we paid. I don't knwo what some moaning people expect. The food is great but true it does come a little repetitive. the animation team was fairly good with the exception to Pete who constantly swore at children. Nina however was brilliant and made my kids holiday. The rooms were clean and tidy and really are only needed when going to sleep. The night time entertainment is good especially the show cats and the animators worked really hard to pull this off. There where a lot of mosquitos but it wasnt too bad. Overall this holiday is great value for the money we paid for it we got good weather, good food, good pool area and good friends on this holiday and in the future i would come back again.

nice hotel, terrible mozzies

just got back from a week at this hotel, lovely surroundings beach and waterpark nearby, food really good, staff are good especially bar staff-tip one and they will get your drinks for you with a big smile, rooms very claen. ONE BIG PROBLEM -------MOSQUITO HEAVEN we wer bitten to death do not buy anything except citronella candles for your room and around your table at night we did and it helped, this hotel is next to a natural wetland even the staff said it was a bigger problem than last year make sure ladies and kids take long pants and long sleeves for night time i wish i did

Just come back from a weeks all inclusive with my husband and 17 and16 year old son and daughter 28/6/06 - 6/07/06 and can't see what people have written bad reviews about. The Hotel is clean, staff very friendly and helpful, cuisine out of this world definately five star stanadard....where else do you get a champagne breakfast every morning and every drink you can think of is available. The beach is not the best on the Island but the pool is fantasitc and not one of us were bitten by mozzies...others were not so lucky. None of us wore any cologne or perfume so maybe that has something to do with it, I don't know.

The only bad point I can say about the entire holidays is about that the Germans geting up before breakfast and plaving their towels on the sun loungers around the pool and then not coming back to lay on them until gone 3 in the afternoon. In my opinion this should not be allowed. If you wanted a lounger by the pool you had to join the Germans and try to beat them at their own game...which we managed to do a few times.

A Fantastic holiday, so enjoy and take no notice of the whingers!

feedback on Ramira Beach Hotel

by bagpuss123

Hi all,

I've been offered a great deal to go to the Ramira Beach Hotel in Psalidi, Kos and I was wondering if anyone had been to the hotel or to Psalidi? Any feedback, good or bad, would be much appreciated.

Ramira Beach in Psalidi @ Kos

by susantucker

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me anything about this hotel or Psalidi itself?

Thanks

RE: Ramira Beach in Psalidi @ Kos

by buhalid

nice one and nice location

RE: RE: Ramira Beach in Psalidi @ Kos

by susantucker

have you stayed there? if so, when?

RE: Ramira Beach in Psalidi @ Kos

by zizkov

Psalidi is a nondescript offshoot of Kos Town, straggling along the road for about 2 miles. Some bars and tavernas, big hotels, but nothing much happening (I think some places going AI damaged the local trade badly). Beach is mainly pebbly, water choppy. Near (small) waterpark. Frequent cheap buses to town, many people hire bikes.

Info on Ramira Beach in Kos

by hapus

Hiya I would like to know of any feedback regarding the food at the Ramira. We are going all inclusive on 22nd and my son is a fussy eater!!

Also, how much can we expect to pay for a taxi from the airport to the Ramira?
Thanks.

Re: Info on Ramira Beach in Kos

by Renate999

Just come back from a week at Ramira Beach 3rd week of may.
Food at the Ramira is good - tasty, hot, plentiful and there is A LOT to choose from.
How fussy is fussy? Assuming your son is a typical young 'fussy eater'... there is pasta available every day, as well as chips (/fries) and frankfurters, gyros (get there early!) or grilled fish and beef. In case he'll eet vegetables: if carrots and peas are too adventurous, there are plain salads you can add your own dressing to.
Book a table at the Italian restaurant for pizza. There are also pizzaslices available in the afternoon at the various bars, and apparently burgers and salads too at the beachbar but we never tried them.

Re: Info on Ramira Beach in Kos

by Renate999

... that should read: ...gyros and grilled fish and beef. They have it all! :-)

Comments