Kefalos, Kos, Greece

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 20% less than similarly rated 2 star hotels

More about Kos

Inside the ChurchInside the Church

Castle of the Knights of St John, Kos TownCastle of the Knights of St John, Kos Town

Finikon AvenueFinikon Avenue

Agias Fokas, KosAgias Fokas, Kos

things to do, places to see.. (and car hire)

by kbr61263

I have a family trip booked to Kos in July, for myself my partner, her two daughters and a friend.

(so 3 girls, 15, 15 and 10)

the 10 year old is quite disabled. She is a bit unsteady walking and is very obsessive in an autistic like way.

We had booked the Aqua Club, but apparently it has gone out of business, so we have been moved to the "aegean view" It has very mixed reviews on trip advisor, but I think between the lines it will probably suit us (I am a bit wary about reviews from people I have not seen posting here or there as well).

we do wnat to try and get to see some of the island. All the girls will be happy on a nice beach, and wil tolerate some sightseeing, in short bursts. I think we will need to hire a car to do any sightseeing, as any kind of queuing is a bit of a problem for the little one. Anyhting with animals works well. as does anyhting where she can get wet (and not drown)..

so.. any ideas.. and where to look for car hire.. and any commenst about the hotel itself. Thanks.

by brazzi

i went with my family about 5 years ago,staying at Aslanis apartments
Marmari.
it was a a few minutes away from a nice long beach.
Kos town was very nice and relaxed with nice locals.
apart from historical places,another nice place was some thermal springs
a short drive from the town centre.
there seems to be one road from one end of the island to the other,with little roads leading to villages and beaches.
for a hire car i just surfed for the best deal at the time,which was Hertz,
but enquire at your hotel, they might have a deal with a local car hire.
i found the people of Kos to be friendly and honest,a puncture repair at a local garage cost 4 euros, and was done instantly,not the service i am used to in the U.K

by kos-island

Hello dear friend. I answered your email about that.Check it and let me know:)Kostas

by mariaschmidt

Hi

Kos is a beautiful island. We have been there twice and enjoyed it very much. The island is big enough for day trips and has lovely beaches of course. I don't know in which village you are staying there is the Kos city that has very nice beaches where you can spend days at leisure and there are Kardamena which is over touristic (lots of brits and pubs by the beach :-) you will feel like home)Kefalos which is at the south end which is worth a visit on a day trip with the car up the mountain where you can see a typical greek village and there is the little village in the mountain Zia that is very lovely for a daytrip has lovely sunset views. I also recommend to go for a few hours to Therma which I think the girls might enjoy (warm waters) but keep in mind there are no facilities around Therma no toilets or places to change so I had to go to the nice restaurant up there ...(that was in 2006) Also I recommend the trip 2 the 3 islands and especially the day trip to the volcanic island Nyssiros that was really wonderful especially because Nyssiros is lovely but I am not sure it is good for the girls - you can check it out. That is all I wish you a lovely holiday Mary

Travel Tips for Kos

Hippocrates plane tree

by Helga67

At Platea Platanou, in front of the entrance to the Castle of the Knights stands a huge plane tree. It is supported by some kind of scaffolding because the tree is very old. Some say that Hippocrates often sat under this tree to teach his students medicine. However, the tree could never been that old. Normally it can get about 400 years old. Next to the tree you will find a lovely fountain. The fountain was used by the muslims for washing before entering the Loggia mosque.

Complete Blow Out

by steventilly

This was one of the best places we've ever eaten at. For a start it's a very attractive little corner of Kos town, just up off one of the little square in front of the harour area. It's hard to miss (so long as you hit the right square) - the steps and walls of the alley up to it are painted blue and white in the typical Greek way. It's twee but very attractive. Seats are arranged alongside and behind the taverna and seafood is the speciality here, though thankfully for us they do great mezze too. We had all sorts here. We ate twice and had different stuff each time. The second time was our last meal on Kos and we ordered rather too much - it was a struggle to eat it all. Amongst the things that I can remember having are:
Warm hummous mixed with sauteed peppers, onions & tomatoes.
Saganaki cheese
Fried Aubergine
Friend potato
Greek salad
Beetroot in garlic (I love it, wife hates it)
Skodalia (as above!)

Relics

by steventilly

The castle contains a lot of ruined relics - pillars and columns, ruined statues, fragments of this and that. Most of them seem to be arranged just inside the entrance, where this picture was taken. I'm not sure if they are part of the original castle or if they have been brought in from elsewhere. Whatever, they are worth a look.

Existos

by steventilly

The existos was apparently some kind of covered running track and gymnasium. The columns that remain here used to hold the roof of the covered track. It's hard to imagine how it might have looked and some sort of interpretation boards would have been a useful addition to the site. I guess this is one reason why it's free - if you had to pay then you could expect more from the site.

Comments