Paradise Royal Mare (Hb)

, Kalithea, Rhodes, 85100, Greece
AMOMA.com Expedia.com Asiatravel.com

More about Paradise Royal Mare (Hb)

The Facts about the Paradise Royal Mare

by TripAdvisor Member Rayzalaff

The Paradise Royal Mare is a very nice hotel. Rated by the hotel as a 5 star deluxe and by brochures as a 5 star. It is not either it is a 4 star!
The hotel lobby is very large with a nice reception area, plenty of places to sit and a few small shops including a jeweller, fur and leather shop and a shop selling the hotel group's own products.
At the other end of the reception area is a nice bar which is popular in the evenings.
We were greeted by the friendly receptionists and were checked in without delay.
The rooms were a little disappointing. Although clean, they are reasonably well furnished but 'tired' the carpets in the hallways leading to the rooms and the room carpets are a little worn and stained. New carpets would make a lot of difference!
The bathroom was adequate and clean although, again, looking a little 'tired'!
There was a small balcony and we had paid extra for a sea view which was very nice.
There was a small bottle of wine and a bottle of mineral water in the room (complimentary). The fridge was empty but you could have it filled by contacting reception. There was a safe in the room but they charge you daily for its use.

There is a mini market just outside the main entrance selling cold drinks, souvenirs, newspapers and cigarettes. They also provide beach/pool towels for a deposit of 15 Euros refundable on departure.

The main restaurant for half board/full board guests is located in the lower floor and is spacious and well staffed. The staff in the main, are friendly and helpful. The food is really good and there is a vast choice of salads, various starters, main courses and deserts and fruit.All served 'buffet style' but waiters do serve the drinks. Other restaurants in the grounds have 'themed' nights for which you have to pay approx 20 Euros extra each. Although nice, and even though entertainment from outside is provide and of a decent quality, I thought it was excessive.
The lunch buffets are reasonable value and a Greek salad will only cost you 3.50 Euros. I found the main lunch buffet restaurant to hot during the day as only ceiling fans were working and it would have been a nice relief to come into an air conditioned restaurant after some hours in the hot sun (or hot shade).
There is another restaurant on the beach which I found a little expensive and a bar near the main swimming pool.
In all, the resort was well served with food and drink.

The main pool was noisy and had loud music playing for some part of the day. There are some quieter pools but you must look for them and these are clean and pleasant.
The beach is a mixture of pebbles and grey sand and there are wooden walkways to the sea on the beach. There are plenty of umbrellas and beds but if you come down late you will have difficulty finding any free. The sea is very clear and a nice temperature. Although receptacles for cigarette ends are provided on the beach the beach was litterred with cigarette ends which didn't seem to be cleaned up.
The larger swimming pools do not have enough umbrellas.
One major complaint is that although we were told on check in we could not reserve beach or pool loungers we found EVERYBODY did it and would come out of their rooms in the early hours, put towels on the loungers and come back, often several hours later! Some guests got so annoyed they physically removed them and were well within their rights according to pool rules but I NEVER saw a member of staff do anything about this problem.
There is eveing entertainment outside at the'Theatre'. The staff try hard but the entertainment is more suitable for kids and consists of mime shows and 'gag' shows. I tried three times to watch a show but walked out each time after about 10 minutes. The entertainment in the 'Chevalier' bar was better although not on every evening.
There are a variety of watersports, mini golf, a games room and indoor pool. You have to pay for the games in the games room and there is a spa and gym. The gym you have to pay for which I have never encountered before although it is well equiped and the SPA treatments are expensive although professional.
There is Paradise Village on the complex which caters for those paying less and is a little more basic in some respects with its own pools and restaurants but its residents usually came and shared facilities with those at the 'Royal' which I didn't think appropriate. Again no controls on this but having said that we didn't encounter problems.

TRIPS
If you book a trip be careful! The coach tours are usually good and the coaches modern but we went on a round island tour with 'Captains Tours' and the coach was old and half of the air conditioning didn't work! You are also charged entrance fees to the sights on top of what you paid so check it out first!
Rhodes is a beautiful island and the people so nice!
Rhodes Old Town is fantastic, lots of shops, restaurants and historic sights, check out the palace and the walk round the city walls twice a week. It's really atmospheric at night.
Go for a pastry and coffee opposite the harbour at night and a walk through the old town.
You can get there by taxi or bus. Buses are cheap but run only about every haf hour and are usually packed so be prepared to stand. Having said that it is a short journey, just get a ticket on the bus to 'Old Town'.
You must go to Turkey for a day but book outside the hotel it is far cheaper! You can take a Catamaran to Marmaris which is about an hour away from Rhodes Town. Be prepared to take an empty suitcase! Designer copies (good ones!) are so cheap and you can buy every designer name in jeans, t-shirts, jackets, caps, underwear, watches and sunglasses much cheaper than in Rhodes.
The Water Park in Faliraki is also nice and the biggest in Europe. Terrific slides and water rides and you can easily spend a day here. It is well supervised and very clean and tidy.
Well, I can't cover everything but I would certainly go back, the weather was fabulous. I think I would look for another hotel though although I would consider going back to the Paradise if nothing better was available.

Wonderful Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member bmcd67

My wife and I have just returned from a week in the Paradise Royal Mare 31.05 - 07.06.
We stayed on the 3rd floor of the main building and paid for the sea view and what a view.
This is a superb hotel with huge reception and pool areas.
The food is the best we have ever enjoyed .
The main Symposio restaurant is magnificent with a wide and varied selection of food at both breakfast and dinner with two carvery chefs on hand evey night.We enjoyed several theme nights and the sweets/ puddings are something else.
The Albatross restaurant is also worth a good mention with wide lunch menu.
The pool areas were spotless and cleaned every morning ( early ).
Senior management were always visible and always with a smile
The minor downside is the evening progamme is adequate but their are several bars nearby and rhodes town is a 1.7euro bus ride away or 7 euros by taxi

2 Great Weeks in Rhodes

by TripAdvisor Member s_y_travellers

Stayed at the Paradise Royal Mare for two weeks on half-booard basis, end May / beginning of June 2006.

Agree with some other comments re: 5* status - this is a good hotel, and may be 5* by Greek standards, but not by others (try some 4 and 5* hotels in Dubai if you want to see how this is done properly !).

Anyway, no real faults with the hotel - but just a couple of minor gripes. The Symposio restaurant service is good as is the food, but after a few days becomes repetitive. With around 3 themed nights each week there is some variety however you can begin to predict what's going to be on offer - having said all that, never had a bad meal there. Always managed to find a table for 2, although accept that it's likely to be busier in high-season.

Okay, onto the bar. The service here is poor - there is an obvious inclination to serve those guests staying all-inclusive above and before anyone else. Staff friendly, but very slow. Not to worry though, there is an excellent cafe bar across the road (100yds) - Cafe Bar Reni - run by George (who else). Very friendly, great service and good value.

Pool areas spotless and great fun if you bring the family. The "Animation" team - activity guys and girls - do a great job, never stop (until siesta). These, together with the restaurant staff (and the staff in the Pergola terrace cafe) work very hard.

Location is fine, though there is not much around in walking distance. Some small tavernas / restaurants nearby (on the main road) - recommend most of them especially the Koskinou House across the road for a great Greek meal. All happy for you to just turn up and have a lazy drink - no pressure to eat or hurry. Plus, go and see the crazy parrot in the bar on the same side of the road as the hotel - good fun.

Ten minutes each way to Rhodes Town and Faliraki (by taxi that is) - this costs around 7/ 9 euros - alternatively reasonable bus service available.

Definitely recommend the place and would come back again ! We had a great time and made our 15th wedding anniversary one we'll not forget.

what a great hotel

by TripAdvisor Member ladyred15595

just come back from a weeks stay at this fabulous hotel
everything i imaginged it to be and more
from the minute you enter the hotel it's magnitude and class hits you. the girls on recption are friendly and welcomung, the bell boy takes your cases. the twin room which we had was spacious and clean as was the bathroom.
the restaurantis large and the buffet style food is fabulous
could write loads of positive things about this hotel and the list would be endless
to be honest everything you could need is within that hotel whatever your age
absolutley great. the pools are great, the bars are great, the themed nights are great
if there is a downside it is the location becuase there are only about 4 bars and 4 shops in close proximity but like i say you dont need to step out really but if you do, go to Renis bar over the road- they are great inm there too

Wonderful 2 week break at the Aldemare Paradise

by TripAdvisor Member FIGGYWIG

Having just returned from this marvellous hotel I have to say it's very difficult to find many faults. Hotel is made up of 2 large blocks before leading onto Paradise Village. Any of the 7 pools (there could have been more, it seemed that every corner you turned you found another pool) around the complex could be used, some fresh some sea water, plenty of beds everywhere, although the main pool did tend to get its beds "reserved" quite early on.

Beach..... grey sandy grit is best way to describe it, but if you can overcome this and the large rocks in the sea then swimming with the fishes is very plesant. Buying some beach shoes eliminated any problems and meant we were not one of those being giggled at whilst trying to dash over the extremely hot sand !

Rooms... clean and adequate, effective air-con and a fridge, sheets frequently changed, and yes beds were hard, but only place I can honestly say I have been able to sleep solidly for all 14 nights.

Minor gripe number 1 ..... the lift in Diagoras block suffered with being very smelly and therefore unplesant to use, although they had occasionallly given it a squirt of air freshener, they never actually managed to cure the problem while we were there. But block is only 4 floors so was encouraged to use the stairs, which is just as well if only to work off some of what had been eaten !

Food.... outstanding, hot, tasty and plentiful, although after one week, became a little repetative. Provided the excuse to venture out a few times for a meal in Rhodes Town and the little fish taverna 5 mins walk from the end of the Village part of the complex -which comes highly recommended, doesn't look much but was always busy with locals. the night we tried it we had an excellent meal and wine at a very reasonable price.

Minor Gripe number 2 .... not a whole lot to do in the evening. Shame they don't keep the beach cafes open beyond 6pm. Would be very plesant to be able to use these just for a drink and watch the sea at dusk / nightime. However Georges Cafe Reni across the road is a great place to have a beer or two, especially if you have kids.

Overall.... marvellous place, if you have the opportunity to go there I suggest you do.

Butlins in the sun but without the class

by TripAdvisor Member nananix

Having read the reviews I was looking forward to a relaxing two weeks in a first class resort hotel in Rhodes. What greeted me was totally different. The main pool (salt water - YUC) was crowded and had a resident Italian DJ/Entertainer from 09.20 until the evening! It was loud and busy constantly. Yes, there are many pools on this complex and eventually we found once that was freshwater and free of thumping noise. The rooms are reminiscent of a 1970s spanish hotel room. Small, dull and tasteless. Our first room was so bad that we insisted that it was changed. We moved into the Diagoras block the next day. As per previous review, lifts still smelly. Best to use the stairs. The entertainments team were all Italian and catered especially and more so exclusively for the Italian clients. I can honestly say that this entertainment was the most dire I have ever experienced. May I also say that the hotel was full and there were 2300 guests. The waiters were complaining about the fact that there were two serving 91 heads (a very small corner of this vast canteen.... I would never use the term restaurant for it). Most days we had to clear a table in order to eat (and then clear away our plates to finish our meal). No facilities for a coffee after dinner, unless you went to the bar and paid for it. Again, the poolside bar was manned by one stressed lady with no less than 20 clients waiting to be served at any one time. The Albatross restaurant was the same, they managed to mess my sons meal up 5 times until we got what we had ordered. When I complained to the manager, he shrugged his shoulders and said no staff. Not my problem.
The kids club.... I have an active 9 year old and was looking forward to some R&R. Again, the kids club is run by Italians, but wait for it, they speak NO English. They catered for Italian kids of around 3 - 7 years old. They thought I was mad when I came to see what activies were going on. So, therefore no kids facilities as advertised.
Food. Great for the first two nights and then the same for the remaining 12. They even have an Italian themed night with pizza and waiters dressed in Italian national colours. A Greek night would have been nice as we were in Rhodes.
I have absolutely nothing against Italy or the Italians, they are lovely people but I was on holiday in Greece. Bizarre.
The beach is totally overcrowded and the watersports are very expensive. Kalithea is basically a main road in the middle of nowhere. Life starts in Rhodes Town. Beware of the astronomical prices that they hotel charge in the mini mart, there are much cheaper supermarkets around.
All in all a huge monstrous hotel with limited staff, as I said a loud, out of date Butlins (Italian speaking). Take heed and travel with ear plugs.

Excellent relaxing holiday

by TripAdvisor Member I.Wilks

This is a large holiday village split into 2 sites. We stayed on a half board basis and the food was better than average and on some days excellent. We chose to eat out on 3 occasions by choice in Rhodes Town which is an 8 Euro taxi ride. The hotel is well kept with cleaners and gardeners doing a great job to keep the place tidy. The pool areas are in good order and the animation team, regardless of wether you take part, work hard to make your stay as good as possible. The reception staff are courteous and friendly - my son lost his trainers around the pool and after a few phonecalls they appeared via the cleaning department. We stayed in a 4 bedded family room that was reasonably spacious and cleaned spotlessly every day. The rooms are equipped ok but my wife kept complaining about the hairdryer not being that good. The air con in the room was excellent.
The beach is directly next to the hotel and is clean and small. The watersports available are good and well priced - you don't get ripped off. We went on an afternoon cruise on the boat moored at the jetty and enjoyed the trip. This to was keenly priced and well used by guests.
The supermarket within the grounds is an experience in itself. Let's just say the staff need a course in public relations!! You get the beach towels here for a hire charge of 15 euros per towel.
The surrounding area has several bars and restaraunts all which have there own appeal. As mentioned in other reports, Cafe Rene is a great place to relax/drink with the children. A better host (Georgio) you will not meet. The prices are good, free games for the kids and a better bet than the hotel shows. The other bar we frequented was Medousa, again, friendly staff, clean premises and good prices.
Overall an excellent 2 weeks enjoyed by all.
PS Get up early for your sunbeds!!

Loved our holiday

by TripAdvisor Member CathyorTrish

We have just returned from a two week holiday at the Paradise Hotel and can't wait till next year to go back. We found all the staff very helpful, apart from the reception staff who certainly need to go on some customer care courses.

We had a small problem with our air conditioning and it was amended immediately. Not a place to stay if you want nightlife as only a handful of bars and restaurants which are really geared towards families. However there is a good bus service to Rhodes Town and Falaraki. We tended to visit George at the Reni Bar, note he has been mentioned on a few reviews, and also enjoyed the entertainment the animation team put together.

Would recommend this hotel for families especially those who love swimming as the pools are wonderful.

All in all this was a good value holiday,

Amazing, can't wait to go back

by TripAdvisor Member JessFrank

Amazing!!!

We went to Greece through Nolitours and were on on honeymoon when we stayed at Aldemar August 24-27, 2006.

Where do I begin? This was by far the best hotel we stayed in during our two weeks in Greece. The drive up to the hotel is impressive and breathtaking, flowers are everywhere and I felt like I was a movie star!

The lobby is massive and frescos line the wall. As we were on our honeymoon we requested a King Size bed inside of two twin beds pushed together. The staff went out of there way to accomodate us. Unfortunately all King rooms were booked and we got a double bed inside. When we arrived in our room, we were pleasantly suprised to see the following:

1. His and Her soft fluffy white robes
2. His and her slippers

Followed by 10 mintues later our "doorbell" rang and a staff member delivered a bottle of champagne, a fruit basket and a cake.

Each night our bed was turned down for us! What service. The cleaning staff were amazing. Our room was always spotless and the linens were changed each day.

The pool was AMAZING!!! Great for families or big kids like myself who enjoyed sliding down the water slid!

The beach was AMAZING!!!

They even had a mini mart where you could buy groceries, souvenirs etc.. What an AMAZING feature.

The bus stops just outside the hotel to take you into Rhodes Town, however, the hotel will call and arrange a BMW Taxi to pick you up at the hotel lobby for just 7 Euros!!! What a deal and Rhodes Town is soooooooooooo close to the hotel.

The food was AMAZING!! My husband and I love to eat out and try different restaurants, but the food at the hotel was so YUMMY we ate there every day!!!

We stayed at the Silva Maris in Crete and the food was bland, but when we came to Aldemar we thought we died and went to heaven.

What a HUGE selection of food.

The hotel also has a spa, so one day I had a pedicure, which was quite nice!

My husband and I are already planning our trip back. This time we plan on staying 2 weeks just at this hotel!

Don't delay and book.

To all my fellow Canadians who are booking with Nolitours, you will not be disappointed!!!

give this one a miss

by TripAdvisor Member aliandmick

Have just returned from 2 weeks at this hotel and cannot believe it is rated 5 star. I have stayed in better 3 star hotels many times. Our room was tired and shabby, carpets filty and stained, damaged furniture etc. We paid for a sea view room-beware-this means you overlook the main pool area where pounding music is blasted from dawn til dusk with animators screaming over the top of it. you cannot enjoy view (which was spectacular in fairness)

The food, served in the canteen (no way was this a restaurant) is disgraceful-poor quality bulk food, lukewarm at best, and you need to be there for opening time for each meal and dishes not replenished quickly enough-this mean at breakfast you can maybe get an egg but have to queue to get something to go with it. Please go prepared to clear you own dishes in between courses. Staff had too much work and morale obviously very low across the workforce which reflected in the unwillingness to help.

Most night beefburgers wereon the menu (Idont consider this 5 star food) and some bazaar vegatable choice ie sprouts mixed with baby onions, cold.

We gave up on this and got money from the bank and ate out.

the pools are nice, and you can find a quiet one if you wander further up the site. Most of the loungers have seen better days and could do with replacing.

I see George from reni bar across the road mentioned several times on this site-and deservedly so-you will not find a warmer more genuine welcome and he really works hard for his profits. As this hotel is going all inclusive from 2007 season he might find his profits will drop which is very sad as he made the holiday bearable.

There were several conferences taking place and at that time the guests pale into insignificance.

this is not a 5 star hotel at all-and the deluxe bit is a joke-would never return.

Anyone been to.......

by FIGGYWIG

Hi, we are staying at the Aldemar Paradise Royal Mare, in Kalithea, and I wondered whether anyone had any info on the hotel / resort other than what I've already seen in the hotel reviews.

Inparticular, I am trying to find out how much there is to do in the evenings around the immediate area, and also whether anyone knew more about the dress code - when it says dress for dinner, no shorts / swimwear, does that count out mens smart 'dress shorts', or has my partner got to be in trousers every evening.

any info would be greatly apprecaited.

RE: Anyone been to.......

by qaminari

If any hotel or restaurant says "no shorts" it means - guess what? - NO SHORTS! So yes, trousers required, although it sounds as though they stop "short" of requiring ties.

RE: RE: Anyone been to.......

by FIGGYWIG

thanks for the update - The hotel details state to dress appropriatly for evenings, so I was kind of hoping that so long as you weren't in football shorts or something like, then longer length bermuda type, or smart 3/4 length trousers may have been acceptable. Silly me !

Anyone with any views on Kalithea

by FIGGYWIG

One week to go before we head out to the Aldemar Paradise Royal Mare, and still trying to find out what to expect... Has anyone recently come back from the area / or indeed the hotel and can give me any details?

I no not to expect anything too rowdy, but will there be enough there to wander about in the evenings, stopping at a bar / shop or two ?

And what about the beach - Sandy or Pebbles ??

Any info would be gratefully received.

RE: Anyone with any views on Kalithea

by nath93

Hi,My son(12) and I went july last year we had a good time, hotel is good and sometimes the village part of the hotel puts on shows so you can go and see them if you like. Just outside the hotel is a few shops/bars and a small supermarket. Sorry the beach was stoney. Towards the end of our stay the hotel was very crowded and eating a night a bit problematic, as you had to queue to get a table, we did actually sit in a small area to the right of the restaurant which was in the open but with a roof, got freindly with the Australian waitress and she used to save us a table!!!!

I am sure you will have a good time especially if you like to do not a lot during the day.

RE: RE: Anyone with any views on Kalithea

by Pappy17

I like the pun in your question. Was this intentional? (In Greek, kalithea translates to good view.)

Sea Temperature

by FIGGYWIG

Hi, just 18 days to go before we head out for our 1st visit to Rhodes, and just wondering what the sea temperature is like. We are staying at Aldemar Paradise Royal in Kalithea and from what I can make out its situated in a little bay, so I'm hoping that the sea wont be too cold ... but does anybody know for sure.

RE: Sea Temperature

by BluBluBlu

Its June, it'll be nice and warm! Dont forget to visit Rhodes Town and get lost in its backstreets!

Blu

RE: RE: Sea Temperature

by europe_wanderer

Expect water temps between 24 and 28 - depending on whether or not the beach you are visiting is part of an enclosed bay.

One of the nicest beaches on the island - Agathi a.k.a. Golden Sands beach ( next to Faraklos Castle ) is so enclosed it is warm enough to swim at in May. It is really quite warm right now.

With the hot weather in the last couple weeks, most pools are at or above 30 degrees.

Comments