100 Iraklidon Ave, Ixia, Rhodes, 85101, Greece

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 43% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• katza's Profile Photo

Worst Five-star I've Seen

We were on a Easter holiday package that promised a lot and delivered little. First things first, we arrived there really early in the morning. The reception of the hotel had been informed about it and said there wouldn't be any problems to be checked in as soon as we arrived. But surprise - the rooms weren't ready when we got there, at 7:30 a.m. - they weren't even ready at noon. No offers to compensate for the half-day wasted in the lobby. The room was supposed to be "sea view" - it had a superbl view of the pool below, some trees and a small parking lot. Oh, yeah - and you could actually see the sea between the trees. The staff at the reception was most unhelpful and sometimes just plain rude. The maids were not keen on doing more than absolutely necessary - they wouldn't even wash the coffee mugs left on the table. The package promised a fruit basket in the room, as well as a special Easter basket, containing Easter eggs and some traditional Easter pies. Haven't seen the first - the second included two eggs, one of which was already cracked and some stale ginger bread. The package was also half-board. By that, they only meant the food - not the water or sodas. They never said that you were supposed to pay for the water you ordered at the table, or for the grapefruit juice. I would have expected to pay for drinks, but not for the water. Oh, and when you asked for a glass of plain water, they would bring you a one-liter bottle, that you couldn't possibly drink at the table but you couldn't take it with you to the room, either. Not to mention the fact that they try to stick you with drinks you haven't ordered. Their site advertises in-room safe - what they don't say is that you have to pay for it. All in all, it's the absolute worst five-star I've ever seen. If you have to go there, try at least not to get the half-board - you could eat much cheaper AND traditional Greek food at the numerous tavernas that you can find very close to the hotel.

More about Rodian Amathus Beach

A GEM OF A HOTEL!

by TripAdvisor Member JPAngel

Just to follow up what the previous person was saying, I agree that you shouldn't believe the moaners!

My girlfriend and I (both mid-20s) spent a week at the Rodian Amathus at the end of May 2006, just before high season kicks in (this may be why my review differs to some that are written in Oct/Nov, but I can only comment on what I saw) and we had a great time. The people were great, the food excellent, the room lovely - what more can you ask for? Ok, so the drinks were London prices (expensive), but no one said anything when we filled the mini-bar with our own drinks (enjoyed on the balcony overlooking the pleasant gardens) - and there's a wealth of friendly, if a little commercial, bars nearby.

Ixia itself is a bit quiet, and we had a look round the other deluxe hotels nearby - the Rodian Amathus was the best by a mile! I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for a chilled out week away, with some days laying by the pool, some by the sea, and a couple out and about sightseeing...

Once again a fantastic Holiday !!

by TripAdvisor Member Caz'n'kel

Hi, before i start my review i want to say "Hi" to Patrick, Tracey & Tom from Cardiff :) And also to say a HUGE thankyou to George, Steve & the rest of The Coconut Restaurant in Ixia for looking after us so well last week on our holidays - can't wait to see you all again next year :).
31-5-06 to 7-6-05 Well what can i say the Rodian Amathus "Perfect" as always......... :)
The hotel staff were friendly and helpful - nice to see so many familiar faces too (hi to Gaynor at reception & Anastasia at the poolside bar. The meals were plentiful and excellently presented - however, the only down side (as always) is the lack of choice for the Main meals in the evening - you have only 3 choices 1 x meat, 1 x fish, 1 x vegetarian, however, the Starters and Desserts which are both help yourself buffet style are varied and excellent. The drinks (alcoholic or non alcoholic) are sadly just as expensive as ever - a 1 litre bottle of water to accompany your meal costs just under 4 euros, Cleanliness was again excellent with all areas regularly kept tidy and clean. The pools are freshwater and provided an excellent place to "cool off". This year was definately the hottest we'd experienced here and we were really grateful of that breeze this year :) The evening entertainment was good to watch and the "girls" cabaret was good fun too. We choose one of the family rooms again which are on two levels located on the 5th floor and have to large outside balconies, the room again was immaculate and well decorated.
BOAT TRIPS: This year we choose to book our boat trip to Symi via our Hotel and not use the Tour Rep and WERE WE GLAD WE DID !!! The trip to Symi with Thomson would have cost us 140 euros for 4 of us (2 adults and 2 14yr old girls) with the hotel it only cost 54 euros!!! Our trip was excellent and no different to the other ones - except we had to make our own way to the boat and not be picked up by coach - but all this meant was we hired a taxi to the harbour instead) we had payed alot more for in the past so take it from us book with the hotel (were usually apprehensive about DIY trips but at that price difference you'd be silly not too!!)
A taxi from the hotel to the Airport cost us 16 euros and a taxi from Rodian Amathus to Rhodos Old Town 6 or 7 euros ?!?!
Hope this helps you make up your mind. And if you choose the Rodian Amathus you will not be disappointed. If you would like any other information, please just ask away.

A great holiday!

by TripAdvisor Member prawnkitty

My partner and i have just returned from out stay in Rhodes, at the Rodian Amathus. I thought i would write a review, And as i think there are some slightlyunfair reviews on here. We have returned from a great holiday, and a great hotel and were more than happy with the whole holiday. I would say that the hotel could be viewed as a very good 4 star hotel, and possibly not offer what some 5 stars would. The hotel was big, clean, very stylish in public areas, with many great restuarants, which are expensive but very good. We stayed half board, having breakfast and dinner buffets. Both of which were excellent,The food was really great, fantastic choice, and quality. The service in the main restaurant was wonderful, from being greeted everytime you walk in, to being seated and incredibly efficient waiters. I would however avoid drinks in the bars as they are very expensive, paying £2.90 for a coke.

The rooms were spacious and clean, the maid service excellent, with a good balcony, and was more than enough to ensure a hassle free holiday. We booked this hotel, not expecting 5 star luxury, but hoping for at least a 4 star place..as sometimes the grading varies, we were very happy with what we got, and the food far exceeded expectations, which on a half or full board holiday is what you need, your paying for it! Having read comments about dress codes, eg, no shorts in evening meals...that surely is the same the world over! The eveing meal is calm, relaxed and with a great service, a complete pleasure.

I would defintaly return to this hotel, if i were to return to Rhodes, for me, it gave a completley hassle free holiday, not one problem the entire time..which is rare!

If this is what you are looking for, give this hotel a try, its in a great location, only a 6 euro taxi ride from rhodes town, and a great selection of local tavernas, bars and shops.
The spa at the hotel is also great, with 3 pools, one indoor and a great jacuzzi.

The hotel, as we went in april was fairly quiet, and most visitors were older, however, we met a few young families with young babies who also had a great time and were looked after very well. My partner and i are 24 and 28, and we found it a great holiday for a bit of peace and quiet and a great base to explore rhodes. Truly, give it a try, I worry to death about holiday accomodation, but with this one you will not have the need!!

Fantasic, don't believe the moaners!

by TripAdvisor Member Louanne1985

my partner and i went there a year almost to the day. we are both 20 and were aware this wasn't a 'lively resort' but we had a brilliant time.
we went half board and were given free choice to change our evening meal to a lunch to coinside with excursions we had booked without an problems.
the food was lovely, my partner is much fussier than me and even he tried something new alongside the comfortable regulars he knew. the only thing we could get was a good english breakfast, but the restaurants off the hotel grounds catered very well for it.
the hotel brakfastand evening buffet ws lovely and lots of choice, in the evening, there was a choice of 2 or 3 main dishes, one vegetarian and the usual buffet was also there for appetisers and deserts.
the waiter service was always good, and if you give a smile you'll be taken care of. these people were lovely and couldnt be more accomadating.
We flew with thompson, our rep was fantasic, we had a problem with airport strikes in greece when we were due to leave but she kept us well informed at all times.
there were alot of choices of excursions, we went on the light of the laterns afternoon/evening event which was really good, we loved it especially the boat trip at the end, went to faleraki beach by taxi (cost about £7) and then went to turkey. we found out after that trip we werent too keen on marmaris (in turkey) you just get hasseled to buy from the shop keepers but the views in the harbour and on the boat were amazing!
You can see turkey from the bar in rodian amathus, when the sun sets its breath taking.
the hotel has a private, trustworthy and friendly taxi service which were brilliant everytime we used them!
we found all greeks to be very friendly and polite.
i agree with some of the reviews in that the drinks can be pricey but the main barman ' Lazerous' was entertaining and creative.
we also spoted the ouse wine in the restaurant was about 10 euros, but in the hotel shop it was only 5 euros! so jut buya cork screw!
We found most people at the hotel were 'older' but they were all very friendly and happy to chat.
the rooms were nice not big but nice, tv, wardrobes, writing stationary, minibar etc. we had a lovely view of the waterful and greenary.
the maids came regularly and if you put a 'do not disturb' sign on the door they always came back later.
this was one of the best holidays we've been on.
the hitel itself is lovely, champayne breakfasts on thursdys and sundays when new arrivals come with fresh salmon!
Any questions just ask!

excellent hotel

We stayed at this fantastic hotel for two weeks in sept, overall the hotel is excellent the food was very good during our stay we always had a great selection and found the staff very friendly and always helpful. Our room was spotless, the bed linen changed daily each night our beds were turned and a chocolate left on our pillows, there are always plenty of sunbeds around the different pool areas, the beach is a bit of a let down it,s very rocky but the sea was very warm thats if you can get in!. The drinks in the hotel are very expensive a bottle of water with our dinner was four eros most people we spoke too found this was their only complaint. This is a very good hotel we had a fab holiday and would definitely return.

Definitely not 5*. Very disappointing.

I've just got back from this hotel. My husband, baby and I stayed in a sea view junior suite. The room was fine but the service in the hotel was terrible. You were expected to pay for the use of the safe - not very 5*... The gym and indoor pool facilities are shut on Sundays - again not very 5*. The food was very mediocre - they were obviously winding down for the last week of the season and after 8.30pm there were practically no desserts left. We e-mailed the hotel before we arrived to arrange babysitting for 2 hours in the evening, but when we got there, they upped the price so we cancelled it!! When we complained to the hotel deputy manager, we were told that customers can't always expect to get what they want! The hotel is looking tired - carpets are dirty, missing lightbulbs etc. None of the staff really seem to care. It depends how high your standards are I guess and ours our pretty high. This is the most disappointing hotel I have stayed in for a long time and there is no way that it should be 5*. We won't be returning.

Didn't live up to expectations.

We spent a week at this hotel recently and found it very disappointing. We were hoping for much better service given that the hotel is 5*. Maybe it was end-of-seasonitis, but the staff weren't at all enthusiastic or helpful. The hotel also tries to make money whenever it can - a taxi from outside the hotel to Rhodes town costs 6 euro, but if you get reception to call a cab it costs 7 euro (the hotel gets the money back I guess). What a con. Also resented being charged 14 euro for the "luxury" of a safe. I've never had to pay for a safe in a 5* hotel before. On the plus side, Rhodes town is wonderful and very close - next time I would stay in the Hilton.

Three star service with five star arrogance

by TripAdvisor Member Szili

The building and its situation is nice. We would have overseen its faults if we had been treated with the same generosity. Well it hasn't happened this way…

First of all I would like to point out that I love Greece for its laid back atmosphere, several nice memories from former family holidays, the sea and Gerald Durrell.

Knowing that Greeks are not the men of formalities packing my clothes I only had the weather on my mind. It turned out to be a big mistake.

By the end of our first week there (in middle of august) the seating waiter (swimming in sweat) told me that the hot season is over so I shouldn't have dinner in shorts.

Because of language difficulties I misunderstood him and thought he was talking about my socks…

Next evening arriving the restaurant he was already coming toward me with red head and loudly told me that I'm violating the dress code. I'm not allowed to eat my prepaid dinner.

I don't have problems with dress codes and I would have bought some trousers after I get to know the rules (like it happened).

My problem is with the style. I don't want anyone especially one from the staff shouting with me on my vacation.

There Were other problems too. There were many bars in the hotel but most of them closed early (6pm).

Our bungalows were in bad condition too:

However besides that waiter and another one at a bar the staff was nice. Even the cleaning ladies spoke English well.
The dinner was very good too.

Photos from our holiday on Rhodos:

not that bad

by TripAdvisor Member ministox5

hi, me and my husband stayed here for 11 nights 3/06/06 until14/06/06 it really is not as bad as the reviews, but i do agree it is not a 5 star hotel by far it is really expensive for drinks but in all honesty we never drank or ate there we would of done if the prices where realistic. I woulden,t recommend people with families to stay there nothing for them to do. as for the beach forget it sand and shingle i dont think so shingle and rocks yes plenty of sunbeds but an horrible beach i have been all over the world and ixia is the worst beach by far. We stayed half board and the food is average .ixia it self come do with a good clean up dirty beach dirty streets and i think it could do with having some money spent on it. All in all i enjoyed the holiday 7 nights would of been plenty but i would not go back.Staff are pleasant and helpfull. but i have stayed in better 3 star plus.

Comments