The former Governor's Palace, now used as the the Building of the Prefecture, It is one of the most considerable buildings construced on Rhodes during the Italian occupation of the island. It was built in 1927 by the Italian architect, Florestano di Fausto. It was used by the Ialians as the Governor's Palace and today it houses the Prefecture of the Dodecanese. It is a combination of many different architectural styles and its arrangement strongly resembles the Palace of the Duces in Venice.
The Elefterias Square
This square is located in front of the Chatedrale of Rhodes, the Church of the Annunciation.
This is a place to relaxing and to admire the wonderful view of Mandraki Harbour, in the quietly evenings or over the day.
This place is very popular both by the Rhodians and by the travellers.
A splendid fountain is placed in the middle of the square.
A lot of pigeons come here to get food from the tourists.
Driving, with this public buses into the city
The good developed bus transport realises a perfect connection between the districts of the city, and between the capital and other places on the island.
The central bus station for the drives from Rhodes City to other places of the island is placed next to the Néa Agora, in the centre of the New City.
The program of the bus trips is exposed on big shields in the station.
For the city internal public transport there are many bus routes:
Nr. 2 – Análipsi
Nr. 3 – Rodíni
Nr. 4 – Agios Dimitrios
Nr. 5 – Monte Smith
Nr. 6 – Analipsi/Mengavli
You ca buy the tickets directly by the chauffeur or in the office of the station.
The program for the bus routes overland, are exposed by the office station.
For the drives on the western coast of the island is responsible the bus company R.O.D.A., and for the drives on the eastern coast of the island, the company K.T.E.L.
In the summer time the buses drive daily, from Rhodes to diverse directions:
To Afandou and Archangelos the bus drive 8-10 x daily
To Lindos 8-10x daily
To Embonas 2x daily
To Genadio 2x daily
To Apolakkia 1x daily
To Laerma 2x daily
To Kalithea and Faliraki all 30 minutes
The bus drive is agreeable, comfortable and rapidly.
St Trinity Chapel
The Chapel of St Trinity has some great archaelogical features including many different styles as it has been renovated over the era's. It was built between 1365 and 1374. During the Ottoman occupancy if was turned into a Mosque named 'Khan Zadi Mescidi'. In later years its' facade was restored and a statuette of the Virgin Mary holding Christ in her lap was placed in a niche in the facade.
The Liberty Gate (ELeftherias Gate) was opened in 1924 by the Italians who looked on themselves as liberators of the Island from the Turks. This is the main gate leading from Mandraki Harbour and takes you into the 'Old Town'. There are some stone steps to the side of Liberty gate which lead to a tree lined gravel path from which you can get some great views of the Town Walls.