3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

St Georges BaySt Georges Bay

Travel Tips for Symi

Symi

by sandysmith

Symi is part of the Dodecanese group of islands and lies some 24 nautical miles NW of Rhodes from whence we travelled to reach here. It has a surface area of 68 sq km ad has 85 km of irregularly shaped coastline - just look at this map for an idea! Its rocky and barren for much of it by the island is well worth exploring to sample the real greek experience.
Symi town consists of two main areas - the harbour town of Yialos and the old town of Chorio in the hills above.

At First Sight

by sandysmith

Our first view from the boat as we arrived from Rhodes for our short stay on this greek gem on an island was an unforettable experience. Sailing in to the port of Symi the view of the coloured houses on the hills of Chorio cascading down to the harbour area was stunning.

Symi Harbour

by sandysmith

Symi harbour is a vibrant place, buzzing with activity when the daytrippers and shoppers are in town.
Tavernas, shops and fishing boats line the main street making it a delight to explore but its also lively at night and a great place to try out the local greek food in a wonderful setting. Many tavenas are open late - some to the early hours of the morning - although I believe loud music has to be kept to a mimimum.

Photo Opportunities

by steventilly

There's a photo opportunity around every corner - the place is just sooo beautiful! Every view I looked at, I wanted to take a picture of it again and again. Lucky we now live in the digital age - I dream how much film I would have wasted with duplicate shots!

Sailing around Symi

by sandysmith

One of the best ways to explore is by walking or taking a water taxi or boat trip around its bays and coastline - the only way to reach some places.
Sailing in the greek sunshine became one of my favourite experiences here :-0..the sun on my face, the wind in my hair and being able to swim from the boat near deserted coves in crystal clear water.

Comments