Fermain Lane, St Peter Port, GY1 1ZZ, United Kingdom

Costs 21% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Fermain Valley Hotel

Excellent hotel

by TripAdvisor Member robocop999

We have just returned from spending 4 days at Fermain Valley Hotel celebrating our wedding anniversay and can thoroughly recommend this delightfull hotel. We booked the stay direct with the hotel who arranged everything including fights,car hire.taxi,boat tickets for free visit to Herm Island,and dinner at the amazing Christophes restaurant. All went very smoothly .We booked the Platinum rooms which were beautifull.Overall one of the best hotels we have stayed in and will return.

The Best

by TripAdvisor Member Pete15

I stayed at The Fermain Valley Hotel with a close friend of mine as part of our work incentive scheme. If I am honest, I was expecting to receive a lower priority than the other guests as we work for the company that owns the hotel, but I couldn't have been more wrong.
The staff at this hotel really make it the fantastic experience that it is. Yes the food is excellent and the views unbeatable, however in my book you cannot beat a friendly and efficient crew! From Linda and Thomas (who has since left - he will be missed) on reception to Jordan, Raymond and Garry behind the bar, you will not find better, which says alot for the management team.
Since our original stay back in May we've visited twice more and we've booked again for December!

Excellent hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Jansolo

We stayed at the Fermain Valley Hotel in early May on their 3 night experience Guernsey deal. This was excellent value for money as it included the room, flight, car hire, one dinner at Christophe's (Michelin starred restaurant next door) and a boat trip to Herm. As I booked late we had a Gold Star room without a balcony, but it was large and very comfortable, with a sea view. The staff were generally extremely friendly and helpful, despite being overstretched at times. They are recruited from many countries, so make for an interesting mix. The only criticism I have is that the coffee was fairly rough, but everything else, including breakfast and evening meals in the brasserie, was extremely high quality. So choose the tea!

Other guests have referred to the aircraft noise, but any hotel on this stretch of the coast is going to be under the flight path and the noise isn't that great and we had our windows open at night and weren't kept awake by it. The hotel is generally very quiet and the views and walks around it are spectacular. The restaurant down at Fermain Beach is excellent too and a beautiful spot for lunch if the weather's fine.

Car hire was included in the package, but isn't really necessary as the bus service is very good and very cheap and covers the whole island. The hotel also runs a courtesy service into St Peter Port on request. However there was additional cost to the car hire from the airport as insurance isn't included and also I was charged for half a tank of petrol and told to bring the car back on fumes only, as if I didn't use it all here was no refund. That proved impossible in a Ford Ka, even though we drove over most of the island.

I

excellent...

by TripAdvisor Member lemonlush

just returned from a 4 day trip to fermain valley hotel. or should i say heaven,,
it is unbelievable, from the minute you arrive you are treated so special and i can not fault anything at all.
The rooms are gorgeous and from having room service breakfast at no extra cost to the complimentary papers and fluffy gowns and slippers, to having a power shower and then sitting out on balcony overlooking the sea its so perfect.
The staff are the best i have ever met. the food is to die for and we only ate in the brasserie as really did want to relax and not have to dress up too much, afterwards we just lounged in the library and played board games and drank liquors, , very fine!
Upon arriving back to the room our beds had been turned back and slippers placed by bed, classical music playing and lights dimmed, need i go on.
the swimming pool and sauna were faultless and very quiet when we were there so mainly for our own use.
cant wait to return and would recommend it absolutely.
if there is such a place as bliss and heaven then this is it......

Over rated

by TripAdvisor Member gormenghast

This hotel has lovely views and a very good restaurant. However, I did not find the staff to be very friendly and they were not very helpful. I was put in the annexe which was a fair walk up a steep gradient. I asked about room service and was told that it was not possible if I stayed in this annexe. In addition, I had to ask for tea bags and milk to be sent to my room: they were promised in the documentation but not in the room. I walked down to the hotel restaurant and had a very good dinner with good service but I did not feel comfortable walking back up the hill in poor lighting on my own.

Loved it

by TripAdvisor Member sleepingbeauty

Fantastic stay, lovely room, great breakfast and the staff couldn't be more helpful or friendly. Although outside St Peter Port it was a very pleasant 45 min walk along footpath to town. Very peaceful and lovely gardens.

Does what it says on the Tin

by TripAdvisor Member roseoakhil

We stayed at the Fermain Valley for 3 nights in April 2008 and booked are Double Gold Room direct with the hotel. After doing my reaserch into the place both on here and the hotels own website i went in with very high expectations, which if anything they fell slightly short on. The Hotel is as much catering for business guests as well as holiday makers, so dont expext a tourist hotel. The reception staff didnt really want to help when i asked about booking a trip to the other islands and the board of leaflets on places to visit was tucked in the corner of the libary, hardly easy to find. However the facilites are fantastic here, swimming pool, resturants, bar, libary, internet access, beutifull garderns the list is endless.
On check in we were taken to our rooms, it was very breif and easy, i do feel however we could have been told a bit more about the hotel then just the finger pointing in various directions by the receptionist at the font desk. Our room was very well furnished with all the mod cons you would need (no mini bar however which i thought was strange for a hotel of this caliber). We had a nice balcony looking out to sea which was very plesent in the evenings. A complimentary local newspaper was provided every day and a turn down service. Tea and coffee is available through room service not self made in room, this made a lovely touch as you always got a nice pot of tea and a few homemade buscuits. Housekeeping was a little strange in that they come quite early (which i dont have a problem with) and they sort of did half a job every day, where as we would come back and they looked like they had gone to do something but didnt finish like cleaning the bathroom and moving cusions around but not puting them back. The complementary toiletries were nice however i relly on them on holiday and dont take my own (saving precious case space) and having used the bath soap and shampoo on the 1st night not to get any refills/replacments was a little anoying. Food is excellent at the hotel we ended up eating in 2 of the 3 nights. Service is a little slow but worth the wait, when it comes to the staff i do think they are over worked and a little stressed at times, seaing them on shift what seemed like 1st thing at breakfast and on till evening meal. The dessert were heaven i couldnt resist, its not like me to eat at the hotel on holiday but it was very good. The grounds of the hotel are again stunning, walking down through the valley to the beach was a pleasure (not so much going up again however). This hast to be the best spot on the island by far, it really does feel like your in the med.
Getting in off the main road to the hotel is quite a rat run in its very narrow and if you meet something coming the other way then you have no option to reverse, also coming out of the car park is a little tight. I found out on the last day though that the hotel had a free mini bus service you could hop into to get places, which we tried and was prompt, making me think do you really need a hire car on guernsey probably not!
Now my notes on the plane noise... Please be aware (i dont want to put people off) but Fermain Valley is right under the flight path to the airport and the planes do come over low, majority of them are throughout the day but in my time there i was woken at 6am by some and heard them still coming in/out at 11pm. With the windows shut its not to bad, but when i was there is was a little warm so had to sleep with the windows open to keep cool so heard them early on more.
Overall we had a really good stop at the Fermain Valley, I dont think it goes above and beyond in terms of a luxury hotel, but it certainly lives up to a very good 4 star hotel, and deserves its place on here. I feel like i have given it a fair review , i dont want to be all positive simply as i think there were a few little flaws.

Second Visit

by TripAdvisor Member Sybarite3

We made our second visit to this hotel at the end of May on their Gourmet Break terms which includes the Menu Gourmand at Christophes (with all wines included!)

We arrived quite late on Friday and ate in the Bistro. Incidentally, the hotel main restaurant never seems to be open. (Has anyone ever been in it?). We were a bit disappointed compared to our previous visit as my vegetables were served very late - virtually as I finished my main course - and my partners dish, listed as with "hot crispy French bread", was actually served with cold soft French bread. However, the desserts were excellent.

The next two mornings, the breakfast service in the Bistro was "confused" with tables not being fully prepared (e.g. milk and side plate knives missing) and cooked food being served to the wrong tables. On reflection, it seems like someone's eye has gone away from the ball a bit in the Bistro.

We were upgraded to a Platinum Room which was very nice and the in-room tea service was very prompt and efficient.

As usual, Christophe's was extremely good. Nothing is too much trouble and on this occasion they adapted the menu to suit my partner who is allergic to garlic. This restaurant is a "must visit" for anyone going to Guernsey. It really is one of the best places we have been (anywhere). An unstuffy atmosphere for a Michelin restaurant, imaginative but not overblown dishes skilfully prepared and the signature red wine with dessert make Christophe's at the top of our list.

Overall then, an enjoyable place to stay but the Bistro, while not awful, needs a bit of attention.

one of the best

by TripAdvisor Member andyjansy

Quite simply this is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in. I found it almost by accident - I suddenly had to go to Guernsey for work and it is holiday season so everywhere was full. My Company normally puts us up in the Old Government House which costs about the same but is next to our office, the Fermain is a £5 taxi ride away but I will recommend them to use this hotel in future. I stayed in the annexe which is a few minutes up a fairly steep hill from the main hotel but then Guernsey is all hills anyway! The room was lovely and bright and had all comforts and the swimming pool and sauna were lovely.
I ate in the bistro the first night which is very good if a little expensive, as other reviewers have said the main restaurant was shut.

I must also highly recommend Le Petit Bistro at the bottom end of town - see http://www.lepetitbistro.co.uk for a fantastic value meal (under £12 for 3 courses before 7pm).

For your "blowout" meal you must eat at the Auberge Restaurant in Jerbourg at the SW end of the island - see http://www.theauberge.gg - it will cost about £100 for two but is one of the few places I think is worth every penny of that.

Great find

by TripAdvisor Member jtwells

Super find - entirely by accident, we booked in March and took up their June offer for 2 nights for the price of 1 in a Gold Room. This included breakfast, both evening meals 1 in the Bistro and 1 at Christophes, hire-car and pick up from the airport. All in all a great experience, very clean and smart rooms, ideal location - close to the beach and good walking along the coast. Saturday morning did bring a little noise with aircraft flying over - on the Sunday there was a lot less noise. Thoroughly recommend.

Comments