La Piette Hotel

Tags

Food and Dining Beer Tasting Luxury Travel
See Amenities
johngayton's Profile Photo

A Pretty Much Perfect Hotel!

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 25, 2010

I'd arrived on Guernsey purely as a matter of whimsical choice ( can choices be whimsical, or is that a contradiction in terms? ). A quick recee online before leaving had given me the impression that hotels on the island were twenty to the dozen. On arrival however I found that the ferry dock led straight into the town centre and no hotels nor B&B's were immediately obvious.

Ach well, the seaside promenade heading north looked like a good bet and so northwards I wandered. The late evening sun skipped the whitetops of the incoming tide, sparkling golden showers of spray against the sea wall to my right. The numbers-only licence plates of the dwindling two-way traffic caught my brief interest whilst the whitewashed and pastel-coloured plastering of the cottaged housing across the road provided a suburban hotel hope.

It was only a ten minute walk before I came across La Piette. It was love at first sight. Classy, without being tarty, this hotel just says "Choose Me". The wrought iron balcony above the stained-glass porticoed door hinted at delights fulfillable. The guy on reception was immediately welcoming as I enquired whether they had a room for the night - he even called me "sir"!

The rate was reasonable, slightly more than I'd intended to pay, but given the choice (choices again!) betweeen the four-poster seaview room or the slightly smaller, more modern, garden room kinda threw the fiscal considerations out of the bay window.

Unique Quality: I opted for the four-poster seaview room which is definitely one of the most characterful hotel rooms I've ever stayed in. There was a touch of the Tudors and a touch of Georgian - the oak-beamed ceiling was held up by the open-brick and stonework of the various periods' walls. Modern touches included the big flat-screen tellingvision and a perfect internet conection. The marble-topped escritoire doubled as a vanity table and worksurface which allowed me to grimace in the mirror as I typed. Hidden in the wainscoted garderobe was a perfectly functioning iron and board and the tea & coffee provided were all proper stuff.

The ensuite bathroom had both bath and shower, was immaculately tiled and gleamingly mirrored with upmarket toiletries provided along with the more mundane shoe-polishing cloth and a needle and cotton set. Towels were fluffy and absorbent (not something that many places manage to get right) and all-in-all this was a hotel room with everything that a hotel room should have.

The bar, open until late, is equally attractive and has a friendly local trade, as well as a georgous barmaid and the restaurant looks worth trying too - certainly judging by the excellence of the breakfast (and that of the waitress serving).

Check-out was heart-breaking but my ferrry back to the UK was booked and paid for :(

Directions: Slightly out of the town centre heading north along the seafront.

Nearby La Piette Hotel

• Bar / Lounge
  • Free Parking
  • Free High Speed Internet

Saint Peter Port Travel Forum

Need advice about Saint Peter Port, Guernsey? Visit the Travel Forum for Saint Peter Port and ask our Answer Gurus.

Explore Deeper into Saint Peter Port