Europe Hotels

Our Members Say

GRAND HÔTEL CRAVAT: GRANDLY EXPENSIVE IN LUXEMBOURG

The Grand Cravat is like most of Luxembourg. It’s nice enough, a little old world and when you find out the cost you have to ask “HOW MUCH!?”. For a single room to cost between 199 € - 390 €, you might be thinking “how big is the Jacuzzi?”. No chance. Instead you are going to see rooms that fit this description from their website: “Tourists and business visitors alike will enjoy the authentic 1960s atmosphere complete with radiant colours, elegant decor and charming English-style furniture, but above all its period tiling and, hiding behind the curtains, its traditional cast iron radiators.” No really.

I have to say in the hotel’s defence, it is very quiet, well situated and the beds are very good. You will get a good night’s sleep. The multi-lingual staff are all very charming and nothing is a problem. There are some interesting parts of the hotel to see as well. I had a nice stay here for 2 nights, but I think you can get much better rooms at this price. Thankfully they do offer promotions and discounts for stays of more than 1 night.

My room looked out over a park and was nice enough. It’s just dated. I had plenty of closet space, coffee and tea in my room and the bathroom was ok. It is a very easy walk to all the main tourist areas and restaurants. I enjoyed my stay for 2 nights, but it definitely is not cheap.

Welcome to Luxembourg.

By the way – the hotel is still owned by the Cravat family – hence the name.

• 60 rooms on 6 floors – all are en-suite and there is a small elevator
• Room 666 is available – book early
• The oldest (and probably smallest) elevator in Luxembourg (really)
• Good beds and the hotel is quiet
• The 4th floor offers fully modern rooms
• Le Normandy Restaurant modelled after the legendary French steamship, SS Normandie
• Free Wi-Fi in common areas

• “Le Normandy” restaurant - Grand-Ducal cuisine
• “La Taverne” brasserie
• “Le Trianon” bar – ornate French palatial

BUSINESS FACILITIES
• 2 Meeting rooms (10-40 people each)

TRANSPORT
• 8 km from the airport
• 15 minute walk from the railway station

• Opinion of Price: most expensive
  • Related to: Family Travel, Business Travel, Luxury Travel
  • Written April 20, 2014

GRAND H��TEL CRAVAT - LUXEMBOURG

HOTEL INDIGO LONDON TOWER HILL: I WISH I COULD AFFORD THIS IN LONDON

Yes I did stay here. I just didn't pay for it. I had used my favourite Hotel website (Hotels.com) to book another hotel. There was a mistake on the reservation and they asked me where I need to be. I explained I was working in the City (of London) and they found this wonderful Boutique hotel. Wow. From the second I walked into the plain building I knew something was different. I was greeted very warmly and offered everything. Newspaper, business services, gym in the morning, you name it. It was too late for the gym, but I knew these nice people would be as happy to serve customers in the morning as well.

My room was amazing. In fact - it really does look like their website photos. My 4 poster bed was comfy. My Wi-Fi service was excellent. I ironed my clothes (in the room) in my new robe while I watched my nice TV and drank cold beers (ok I brought those in). I did have a nice fridge to raid for some cold drink in the morning.

After a good night’s sleep I set up my espresso machine and went for a shave in my nice bathroom with all sorts of lighted mirrors. My shower was really great and the towels well worth stealing (no I didn't). But I did take some nice toiletries home.

I enjoyed my room so much, I decided to work from the room that morning. I really did not want to leave!

This is a great hotel. It’s hard to believe its part of the InterContinental Hotel group as it definitely does not look like a chain hotel at all. If you want a bit of luxury and comfort near the Tower of London (and City) - this is a great choice.

• All rooms have 4 poster beds, different murals of the area with unique décor
• Stereo and iPod dock
• Espresso machine and coffee/tea facilities
• Complimentary drinks in the fridge
• Quiet
• Iron, board, robes, slippers, good toiletries, cotton balls, etc.
• Safe, goo closet, desk, nice chairs
• Excellent Wi-Fi
• Gym
• Climate control
• Square Mile Kitchen & Lounge (British cuisine)

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Women's Travel, Business Travel, Luxury Travel
  • Written April 13, 2014

HOTEL INDIGO LONDON TOWER HILL

THE KING JAMES: EXCELLENT FOR BUSINESS - EDINBURGH

Please note: This is now called the ‘The King James’, but is still a Thistle Hotel.
This is a fantastic hotel for business people. I found myself working in Edinburgh right in the middle of the Edinburgh Festival which lasts several weeks. What had been my 5th and last choice hotel turned out to be a gem. I only ask for 2 things in a hotel. A reasonable mattress and quiet. I am not that picky after that really. The Thistle delivered. My room was on the back of the hotel that faces onto essentially nothing. The King James is essentially part of a shopping mall with the odd name of ‘St James Shopping’ and is just a 5 minute walk from the Edinburgh Waverly Train Station and just a few steps from Princess Street. It’s slightly dated looking, but who cares? My room was a reasonable size, had a good bed, an excellent monsoon shower head in the bathroom and even a ceiling fan. Before you get worried about this, don’t worry, the rooms are air-conditioned as well. I just like ceiling fans when I sleep.

The staff greeted me warmly and made sure my 2 requests were met. A quiet room on a high floor. I also found that I would be working within the mall itself in the morning. Time to walk to work….30 seconds. The receptions folks even made sure I had a map and told me the Wi-Fi code would last the whole stay for free (despite a stated charge on their website). My room had everything I needed
And there was even an ice machine near my room. Awesome. The toiletries were ok, towels good, desk functional and enough closet space. The best thing is that I was able to walk to restaurants and pubs and had a very peaceful night’s sleep. A great stay.

Bonus:
The hotel is 5 minutes’ walk to all the open top bus tours and a reasonable walk to all the historical sites. And it’s cheaper than most in the middle of Edinburgh.

HOTEL OVERVIEW:
•Short walk to Princes Street, Waverly Train Station, Airport Bus and Open top Bus Tours
•143 rooms and six function rooms

• Junior, Double Suites

ROOM AMENITIES:
•BT WIFI (chargeable)
•Coffee and Tea making facilities
•TV with Freeview, hairdryer, trouser press, in-room safe, toiletries
• Work desk
•Iron & Ironing Board (on request)

• Craig’s Restaurant - classic Scottish and European dishes
• Hotel bar

• Related to: Historical Travel, Family Travel, Business Travel
  • Written April 13, 2014

THE KING JAMES (THISTLE) - EDINBURGH, SCOTLAND

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

CASA LUXEMBURG: NO SLEEP IN ROMANIA

Casa Luxembourg prides itself on being an 800 year old hotel offering nice accommodation in the smaller of the 2 adjoining main squares of historic Sibiu. It is – unless they move you into an unadvertised secondary location about 100 meters away and literally in the middle of the stairs leading to the lower town. So while the Piaţa Mica is quiet at night, drunk people hang out in the stairs just outside your window. Given that there is no air-conditioning and the curtains don’t fully cover the windows – you have to sleep in a hot room and listen to then past 3am. And in summertime you get the sun in your windows to wake you up. Oh – and when they empty the rubbish bins in the area – they drag them down the stairs past your window.

BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!

EVERY STEP !!!! BOOM !

If you want sleep – this is not the hotel for you. Shame really. The rooms are all unique. I had a massive room with a piano in it. The staff are absolutely fantastic. I was always made to feel like family. They even run their own Tourist Information Office so they really are there to help. Also for the SAME price you can stay at a nearby 4-star hotel with air-conditioning and a swimming pool. So sadly, I cannot recommend Casa Luxembourg. It’s in the right place, but they need to either get the sleep concept right or lower their prices. They have all the ingredients, buts it’s not worth it if you want rest and to not have massive headaches and fighting off sleep every day you are here.

• Located in the heart of Sibiu
• Generally quiet
• Reasonable beds
• They have their own (very good) Tourist Information Office and gift shop
• 3 room types: Single, double and apartments
• Buffet breakfast between 7- 10 a.m.
• Bistro Restaurant in the square and Atrium Classic Café in the stairs leading to the Lower Town
• Paid car parking nearby, but for longer stays they provide free parking
• Car and bicycle rentals
• Safe in reception

SINGLE AND DOUBLE ROOMS:
• Free breakfast
• ‘High speed Internet access’ (bring your own cable)
• Minibar (but not in my room!)
• TV and phone
• Unique décor for each room
• Shower, ‘Separate toilet’ (You would hope so!) and hairdryer
• A down (duck feathers) comforter or duvet when it’s cold
• Fan when it’s hot – no air-conditioning!
• Paper slippers, sewing kit and show shine items

APARTMENTS:
• Have a bathtub

• Related to: Gay and Lesbian, Singles, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written April 6, 2014

CASA LUXEMBURG - SIBIU, ROMANIA

LUXURY INN: MY FAVOURITE B&B IN LONDON

Ok. I have to admit that I decided not to write a tip about this fantastic oasis of peace and tranquillity in central London for 2 years – because I was worried you might book it before I could. They only have 7 rooms! I love this place. I have stayed here at least 4 times that I can easily remember. I have tried to stay here many more times than that. This is just the best. Rarely does an accommodation – especially in London – actually look like the website photos. I booked this gem on hotels.com. Even before I arrived I was telephoned by Rey (who I never met) to make sure I was still coming and if I needed anything. In fact the staff never leave the property until the evening and they keep asking if you need anything. After that – this is your home and they are a phone call away. It really feels like being a guest in someone’s house who just left for the weekend.

When I arrived I was impressed that it looked like the website on the outside, it was on a quiet street and that there were several nice pubs and restaurants nearby.

When James opened the door and took me upstairs – I saw the fantastic communal area. An open plan lounge, dinning room and kitchen with a great desk for the computer. There was fresh fruit for snacks on the table. The espresso machine had dozens of different ‘pellets’ at the ready. The kitchen was fully stocked with everything needed to cook and dish it up.

Then I was shown my room. WOW! A great looking bed with a wonderful mattress. A nice looking room overlooking the Japanese Garden. My bathroom was chic and modern. The closet doors were actually massive mirrors. The TV had zillions of channels and I even had a nice desk. The air-conditioning was just right. James left me and I promptly had a mega nap for an hour. After that a trip to a great restaurant nearby.

The other times I stayed here at the palace, I decided to cook. With a £25 meal allowance from work – you can have a lot of steak, prawns, cheese and red wine for 1 business person. One very happy business person.

I have stayed in both the en-suite and rooms with a shared bathroom. I never had a problem accessing the shared bathroom. I also never seemed to see the other guest or have competition for the computer or TV remote control.

I have enjoyed several nights here cooking for myself, watching the TV and just having a great night in here in central London. I have never had a better evening of tranquillity on business here than I have had staying here.

If you find yourself working in the area – stay here and DIY (Do It Yourself). You will just love it.

Quiet, great beds and a home away from home.

HOTEL OVERVIEW:
• Just 7 rooms ! Book early and often.
• Wonderful modern kitchen you can use, dinning room and TV watching area
• Breakfast is included – with really fresh fruit
• Free espresso machine, coffee and tea 24/7
• Free Wi-Fi and a computer with broadband
• Laundry facilities – a washer and dryer you can use!
• Great beds
• Quiet
• Help with any tickets and tours
• Hair dryers and irons/ironing boards – just ask

• Car parking is only £3 a day! Reserve early !!!!!!

• Air-conditioned
• Coffee/tea making facilities
• Great TV with many channels
• iPod docking stations
• Great beds and bathrooms
• Some rooms share a bathroom
• Access to the garden

• Related to: Business Travel, Women's Travel, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written February 10, 2014

LUXURY INN - LONDON

NH HOTEL: IN VIENNA AIRPORT

This excellent hotel is practically inside Vienna Airport. To get to it you simply walk out of the Departures Hall and go across a car parking area. It is really that convenient. The quick overview is that it offers: good rooms (on the right side of the building), restaurant, bar, quiet night’s sleep and even a train link to Vienna itself. All at the airport. In terms of my stay, I walked into the large reception area and was greeted warmly. I was given a run-down room on the left hand side of the building in a smoking room. After returning to reception I was given a non-smoking room on the right hand side of the building. These rooms are modern, beautiful and several times better than the smoking rooms. If you smoke I would recommend you smoke outside to take advantage of the better rooms.

My room was just warm and inviting. My large bed felt comfortable. Check! I had a desk, coffee/tea making facilities and a reasonable TV. There was also a sort of neat living room chair that had a small folding desk attached as well. My nice closet held plenty of hanging space, mini-bar, safe, place to put a suitcase, drawers, even some nice wine glasses. My room also had mirrors, several lamps and a telephone. The bathroom was awesome. It had mirrors, including a shaving mirror, nice bath, good shower, great towels and some very good toiletries. I really liked my bathroom. There was even another telephone in there.

The best part was a good night’s sleep. With a very comfortable bed, fully climate controlled room and sound-proofed windows – I never heard the airport. Fantastic.

In the very bottom of the hotel is a modern gym, sauna and steam bath. Entering the massive lobby/open bar area you find – well – the bar! Lively at night and opens first thing in the morning (9am). Nothing like a beer for breakfast before a VT Euro Meeting! They also have a nice looking restaurant called "Mundo" serving an upscale and international menu.

I stayed here one night because I we flying to Macedonia for a fantastic VT Euro Meeting. When I realised the only flights I could book left me in Vienna overnight I wanted something convenient, comfortable and quiet. It was. And the other great thing was when I returned, they were willing to hold onto my suitcase during a long layover. I was able to walk to the train (100 meters) and go into Vienna for a few hours of sightseeing. I just asked when I stayed and confirmed the day I was coming back to the airport. I tipped them a small amount for letting me do this. Great service.

ROOMS
All rooms have air conditioning, minibar, 2 telephones, safe, satellite TV soundproofed windows, modern bathroom with bathtub/shower and very good mattresses. There are 2 categories of rooms:
• Standard Room
22.50 sq. m. (including bathroom). Free WiFi only in common areas
• Superior Room
28 sq. m. (including bathroom). Free WiFi, free entry into gym/sauna and 20% discount off in the bar & restaurant

• "Mundo" International Restaurant
• Buffet Restaurant
• Bar (seems to have no name!) looks like a library & piano bar. Lighter meals
• Dinning Terrace (Summer only)
• VIP Lounge

FACILITIES
• Gym, sauna and steam room and a message service
• Business Conference facilities (up to 600 people)
• Ice machines

• Written February 10, 2014

NH Hotel Vienna-Airport

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

HOTEL MONTECARLO: OK IN SEVILLE

Ok. How did I find this place? Well I was driving a car and most places were booked or had no parking except at private parking lots wanting 19-30 Euros a night. I found the Montecarlo when I parked at a parking meter on a small, but busy road. Parking was free at night and only about 1 Euro an hour during business hours. So I was in there. I did pay 70 Euros for a severely average single room, but it was in a good location. Overall the Montecarlo is clean, nice looking, has efficient rooms and is virtually a straight walk to the Cathedral. It is also on the doorstep of a pedestrianised area for dinning and shopping.

The staff were cheerful. That’s about it. Breakfast was not included and cost an absolute fortune. I ate at Starbucks cheaper with a huge coffee. My bed was firm. The room was small. Having said that – it was quiet. Very quiet. There is an excellent Pub almost straight across and some good restaurants nearby. This is near the Hostel neighbourhood without the hassle.

It’s OK. Average given its higher price. I stayed there during the low season. During high season this place is overpriced.

Want to stay here? It’s up to you.

In my opinion – do not drive to Seville. Take public transport and stay somewhere cheaper.

* Great location
* Cheap on-street parking
* Fine for overstaying your parking time limit - less than 5 Euros!

• Related to: Road Trip, Business Travel, Family Travel
  • Written February 8, 2014

HOTEL MONTECARLO - SEVILLE

ALEXANDRA HOTEL: TIGHT IN SWEDEN

When I wanted to travel to Stockholm for a VT Meeting, I wanted 3 things in a hotel: Inexpensive, comfortable, and well located. The Alexandra Hotel met all 3! At first glance it looks like a Human Warehouse inside, and it kind of is. The rooms may be small, but they are clean, efficient and the beds are so comfortable you will not want to get up in the morning, even though they make a fantastic breakfast. The staff are very friendly and helpful. When I had a noisy neighbour, the staff took action immediately. The Old Town (Gamla Stan) is either a quick 2 stops away on the Metro or an easy slightly downhill walk. By Stockholm standards the hotel is also cheap. My room was so small it did not even have a window (please see pictures). A complete joy to stay at.

So a few facts:

Location:
Around the corner for from Medborgarplatsen Station on the Tunnelbana (Underground).Stockholm Transportation
The hotel is in a quiet neighbourhood on the South central island of Stockholm (Södermalm). It is just a 10 minute walk to the Old Town and is surrounded by bars, shops & restaurants.
General
The hotel was built in 1970 and was recently been renovated. They advertise themselves as offering good value to Travellers. The hotel is modern, simple inside and out and very clean. It is listed as a 3 star tourist class hotel built over 3 floors.

Rooms
The hotel offers 69 rooms in 9 different categories:
• 5 junior suites
• 1 family bedroom
• 29 double or twin bedrooms
• 16 single bedrooms
• 1 single bedrooms with sleeper couch
• 13 single budget bedrooms (Budget may mean no window)
• 4 single budget bedrooms with sleeper couch
• 1 double budget bedroom
Rooms In general
• Smoking/non-smoking
• Decorated with modern furnishings
• All have en-suite bathrooms with shower or bath/shower
• Remote control TV/radio
• IDD-telephone
• In-room movies.
• Most rooms equipped with office desks, mini bars & hair dryers
• Functional closets & hooks everywhere

** Hotel Services**

Reception
Helpful staff are on duty 24 hrs. They can help you with free tourist maps, information, organise tours, make reservations, order taxis, set up wake-up calls and answer any other questions you have. They also sell: postcards, soft drinks, cold beers and snacks. They offer services normally found at more expensive hotels. I was really impressed.

Internet access
All rooms can be connected via a wireless network. Internet access is also available form a computer in the lobby, but it is expensive.

Car parking
Inside an underground parking area that has a door right to the Lobby. Parking spaces are clearly marked with the hotel name is monitored by security and cameras 24 hrs a day. Please note: the entrance is locked after 22.00 hrs. so go to reception and they will open the gate.

Sauna
The hotel has a FREE (during the day)sauna situated centrally inside the hotel. You need to make a reservation at reception and obtain a special key card.
Breakfast
Breakfast is very good and served in the breakfast restaurant on the ground floor. Fresh boiled eggs, cold meats, juices, fresh breads and fruit. Excellent and fresh coffee to top it all off.

Lobby bar
Serves snack food and drinks, completely licensed and is open between 11 AM - 1 AM.

Minibar
In most rooms.

In-room movies
Available in every room. Follow instructions on your TV. Payable upon check-put.

Laundry
If you take items down to reception by 9:00, you will get them back the same evening.

• Related to: Singles, Gay and Lesbian, Budget Travel
  • Written February 7, 2014

ALEXANDRA HOTEL - STOCKHOLM

THE SIR WILLIAM FOX HOTEL: HISTORY IN THE NORTH OF ENGLAND

This great little hotel was a welcome surprise in a small town I have always enjoyed spending time in. The large house is the birthplace of Sir William Fox who was elected the Prime Minister of New Zealand 3 times and appointed a 4th time. Oddly the plaque outside only mentions the first 3 times! The house has been refurbished and the handful of rooms are very nicely appointed. Although it is is a small ‘hotel’, they also have the Red Room Bar upstairs and a nice restaurant downstairs. Overall the hotel is a great place to stay. The bar is excellent and shows live sports, but somehow seems like being in the study of a nice manor house. The restaurant (they call it the dining room) looks great, has an excellent menu and the food looks delicious. I didn’t get a chance to eat here, but other guests raved about the quality of the food and the Chef. It really looked and smelled great and the portions were very healthy looking.

My room, number 21, was absolutely excellent. Let’s start with the important part. My bed was absolutely luxurious and I had a very good night’s sleep. The room itself was very large and had a good sitting chair, a full desk, mirrors, plenty of storage space and nice carpet. There were some nice touches like my tea and coffee making tray, a very good TV with lots of channels and an overall great décor. They even had a full ironing board and a real steam iron that was spotlessly clean.

The bathroom was also excellent. I had huge fluffy towels, a great shower and bathtub, reasonable toiletries and plenty of light to be able to shave.

The Sir William Fox Hotel is a classy place and the staff were always smiling and willing to help. Their bar is really cool and you could just stay there. With the feeling and look of a mansion house’s study, you can enjoy the fully stocked bar and even play their piano. I had a few beers and watch the sports.

The hotel itself is set in a picturesque oasis called Westoe Village. It is listed in the Doomsday Book in 1072 when it was originally a handful of farms. It is a conservation village today and 4 of the farmsteads are still standing, including Westoe Hall, which gives the village its name. Derwent Lodge Chapel House and Ivy Cottage are surrounded by beautiful f Victorian terrace homes in a very quiet area.

The only problem I encountered was when someone did slam a door in the hotel, but that was an accident by one of the other guests. The hotel only has a handful of rooms and it is completely quiet at night. It is also in a very pleasant and tranquil village, but a reasonable walk to the famous Ocean Road in South Shields. About 100 restaurants, bars and nightclubs are within striking distance.

HOTELOVERVIEW:
• Great beds and bedrooms
• Historical home in a very pleasant village
• Walking distance to 100 restaurants, bars, clubs and shopping
• Red Room Bar is a real treat and serves up great drinks in a fantastic setting
• ‘Dining Room’ offers great food and daily specials

• 3 types of room: Superior Double, Double and Single
• Free Wi-Fi
• Great beds, nice bathrooms and plenty of storage space, steam iron and board
• Tea/Coffee making facilities
• Large TV, lots of channels and a writing desk

• Related to: Family Travel, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Historical Travel
  • Written January 26, 2014

THE SIR WILLIAM FOX HOTEL, ENGLAND

Carrickdale Hotel and Spa: BETWEEN DUBLIN AND BELFAST

I stayed at the Carrickdale when I was working across the border in Northern Ireland. You get a lot more for your money on this side and the Carrickdale is an excellent business hotel. It is a very large building and grounds, with a huge leisure complex across the main motorway. Don’t worry – they have their one internal tunnel between the 2 parts of the complex. I was greeted warmly and shown to a very large and functional room. My bed was reasonable, my TV worked and I had room to stuff my own liquids into the mini-bar. The bathroom was modern, had good toiletries, a bath and a very good shower. In terms of sleeping, I had absolute silence at night. The hotel is away from the busy motorway, but do ask for a room on the back.

The restaurant was excellent. The portions were very large and they had many filling dishes. I normally try and go out of dinner, but the meals and menu were good enough to stay in the hotel. Even their wines were good.

The staff at reception, the bar and the restaurant were always helpful and accommodating. The staff in the leisure complex even offered the services of personal trainers and spa treatments.

Essentially the Carrickdale is a well-run hotel that is very convenient for Newry and the ,motorway between Dublin and Belfast. You are also just a few miles from the scenic medieval village of Carlingford. For a business person or a family, you will get a great service and a restful stay here. Well done Carrickdale!

HOTEL OVERVIEW:
• 105 Rooms (double, twin, family and 3 suites)
• Spa, Laser Clinic & Beauty Treatments
• Leisure facilities including an indoor pool and gym
• Carrick Restaurant with 2 & 3 course Table d’hôtel and A Là Carte Menu, good wine list
• Dales Lounge with draft ales and a good bar menu
• Carvery Lunch every day

• Tea & coffee making facilities
• Iron and ironing board
• Free use of the leisure facilities
• Mini bar

LEISURE FACILITIES
• 17.5 metre indoor heated pool, sauna, steam room, Jacuzzi, and outdoor hot tub
• Serenity Spa - Germain de Capuccini treatments
• 9 Hole mini golf, fully equipped Technogym, exercise studio, classes, swimming lessons

• Related to: Road Trip, Family Travel, Business Travel
  • Written January 26, 2014

Carrickdale Hotel and Spa

CONTINENTAL HOTEL: GREAT STAY NEAR HEATHROW

I found the Continental on a hotel website and realised just how close it was to Heathrow Airport. I needed a hotel because I was flying in from Algeria the day before I had work in London. The website looked very nice. When I arrived at Heathrow, Air Algeria decided that my luggage was best sent to France instead. So seeing Hounslow was a let down. It is not a great looking town. I was in a foul mood until I got to the hotel. At reception I was greeted like a returning guest. Welcome! The 2 staff members cheered me up. They also explained that there was a discount clothing shop 1 block away and I had time to buy clothes. I also had time to be told what the hotel had to offer. I asked for a quiet room and a new key card was handed over with a smile.

I went up to be greeted by a very nice looking room at the very back of the hotel. The rooms are compact, but just one bounce on the bed told me I would enjoy a good night’s rest. Everything was modern, the bathroom was super-cool and I had a desk as well. Toiletries looked quite good, the TV had channels I would watch and I had places to hang clothes (minimalistic, but efficient.

I ran off and purchased some clothes and thanked myself for packing a T-shirt and swim shorts in my hand luggage. So off to the gym! Actually I walked through a very nice looking gym that was hosting an exercise class. The pool was ok. The best bit was the Jacuzzi that was very large and hot. I absolutely enjoyed a good soak to try and get over my long day.

After that, just a meal around the corner at a reasonable Indian restaurant.

In the morning my alarm clock in the room woke me up and I enjoyed my coffee and fantastic shower. Even my towels were awesome. This really set me up for a day at work. I was really impressed with this hotel. There are so many bad hotels in the greater London area. This is one of the shinning exceptions and an example of how a hotel should be run.

I was so pleased that I completed a comment card and left it at reception. The NEXT day I had a nice email from the General Manager – Mr. Wayne J Davis. What a fantastic guy. He had managed to read my bad handwriting perfectly and emailed me to say Thank You for my thanks! Why can’t every hotel manager in the world be like Mr. Wayne J Davis? His staff are happy to serve guests and I think this reflects the management style of the whole hotel. Well done!

• Nice beds
• Quiet rooms
• Wet rooms with a power shower
• Air-conditioning
• Coffee/tea facilities and mini-bar
• Free broadband
• Nice TV’s with some excellent channels

DINING AND BAR
• Twentynine Restaurant and bar - modern British and European cuisine
• Breakfast, lunch, dinner and a big TV with live sports

GYM AND SPA

• Written January 20, 2014

CONTINENTAL HOTEL - NEAR HEATHROW AIRPORT

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

LISTENING TO THE NEIGHBORS PEE: TUNE HOTEL - LONDON

I found this Tune Hotel location by accident on the internet. I was really excited because it’s very close to work when I am in London and it was way below my budget. That keeps the boss happy. It all looked good when I arrived. The hotel is modern, clean, bright, has a lobby bar and my room looked nice. Very nice. Tiny, but nice. I had air-conditioning, Wi-Fi (chargeable, but given to me for free) and a nice looking bed. Notice – I said it looked good. The bathroom was cramped, but modern. I stayed in room 230 and I thought this would be great. I also noticed my in-room safe and plasma TV. No closet, but some hangers. What do you want at this price?

I went out for a meal and noticed that the lobby even had a coffee offering behind the reception. Nice.

When I came back with my takeaway food, I started to notice the weirder elements of this hotel. First I landed on the bed and realised the mattress was beyond cheap. Not good. Then I noticed there was a single foot towel in the bathroom. And no soap or any other toiletry. Me being me – I went to see if I could find an unlocked cleaners room. I did. No soap, shampoo or towels – other then the small foot towels.

OK. Back to my tiny room with a few foot towels and sat on my bed eating. That’s when the neighbors (Irish) came into their room. She had a no. 1 in the bathroom and he had a no. 2. I hope never to ever be in a hotel again where I can hear – easily – what people are doing in the toilet. I was absolutely horrified. When I tried to sleep on my rubbish bed I could hear these folks word for word. I spoke to them through the way and asked if they would turn down their TV. They turned it off n went to bed. Nice people.

Anyway I had a poor bed and sleep.

I won’t be staying here or at any of their locations again. For London – it’s cheap. For me – it’s a night on business expenses and I have work in the morning.

It is Out of Tune for me!

• Related to: Women's Travel, Business Travel, Budget Travel
  • Written August 19, 2013

TUNE HOTEL - LONDON

MY PLACE: MY PLACE IN LONDON

I suppose you really could call this hotel 'my place'. I have stayed here 3 times which is quite a record for my hotel stay in London. The first time I stayed here I was greeted by the friendly staff and told to take the elevator to the top floor. I had asked for a quiet room facing away from the street. I duly arrived in my reasonably sized room that looked a little dated, but fine. I had a comfortable bed tucked right up to the open window overlooking the hotels garden. Yes, I knew I was in for a quiet night. In fact I have always had a good night's sleep here at My place. For that reason alone I definitely rate this hotel as one of the top 'budget' hotels in London. The rest of my room was some old furniture and a modern bathroom. The bathroom had a bath, shower, toiletries, good water pressure and good mirrors. Not the largest in the world, but it does the trick.

Outside in the gardens you can sit in the sunshine in warmer months. They have large BBQ Grills, but seem to be reserved for parties. Just inside from the garden is the bar and breakfast area along with the library of donated books. It’s a great place to have a quiet beer and read a newspaper. The whole hotel is peaceful and I find this a very hard to find quality for business stays in London.

They also have a great location. They are on a relatively quiet side street practically at the doorstep of the Earls Court Tube station and Earls Court Exhibition Centre. There are loads of great restaurants nearby with dinner specials you can book on the Toptable website. There are also a few bad ones. You also have many grocery stores, banks, a main Post Office, banks, currency exchange bureaus and lots of other entertaining things to do nearby. My Place is a great choice.

I always book in advance and ask for a quiet room at the top facing the garden. They have always provided just that for my stays.

• 50 rooms on 6 floors – all are en-suite and there is an elevator
• Large garden to sit or have a drink in
• Breakfast is included
• Free tea & coffee anytime in the restaurant/lounge
• Free Wi-Fi in common areas
• Excellent location
• Guest library
• Nightclub can be rented (only)
• 24 hour room service

• No car parking and nearby is a 4 hour maximum stay

• Standard Single:
- Showers, some with a bath and toiletries
- Fan (no air-conditioning, but rooms stay cool)
- Iron/board or trouser press, hairdryer and safe
- Good sized refrigerator

• Related to: Family Travel, Business Travel, Budget Travel
  • Written August 11, 2013

MY PLACE HOTEL IN LONDON

GRANGE CITY HOTEL: MY FAVOURITE HOTEL IN LONDON

This is my favourite hotel in London. No doubt about it. I came across this wonderful hotel when I was looking for a business conference facility. It was by far the best looking venue I saw in my search and I kept thinking ‘I hope I can stay there one day’. I have had the pleasure of staying here twice. Absolutely wonderful. The hotel has old world charm and does the one thing all hotels should – gives you a good night’s sleep. My rooms have always been well appointed, had lots of nice extras, a very comfortable bed and been absolutely quiet. In terms of service – nothing is a problem. From the uniformed doorman to the reception, bar, gym, spa, restaurant(s) and housekeeping staff – you receive warm welcomes. I have enjoyed every facility they have to offer and hope I can stay here again. The hotel was built when hotels were made to provide a restful stay. The facilities are great and the location is amazing. The hotel overlooks the Tower of London and Tower Bridge. The property even has a section of the original 2,000 year old Roman wall as well. Many of the key Tourist attractions in London are on your doorstep and you are surrounded by tube stations, bars, pubs, restaurants, corner shops and even a full grocery store. This is one of the best situated hotels in London and the sight of sunset over the Thames, the Tower of London and Tower Bridge are on your doorstep.

I will detail the amenities and facilities below, but I can assure you that this is a great hotel. Just walking down the corridors to your room lets you know that your stay will be quiet and peaceful. Entering the bedrooms is like walking back in time to when hotels were hotels with the modern extras added in.

They even turn down your bed in the evening and have fresh fruit in the room. Pure class.

For me the ultimate hotel has quiet rooms, great beds, a good fridge, bathroom with proper mirrors, good toiletries, a steam iron/board and a proper closet. The basics so many hotels never even come close to. As a business traveller I want a good meal, a proper night’s sleep, iron my shirt, a free newspaper, friendly staff and – if I can get it – some local attractions. This is why The Grange City Hotel is in my top 10 business hotels worldwide. Its just gets it all right. And you can’t best the Tower of London on your doorstep.

One of the restaurants, Koto II Japanese Restaurant, is one of my favourites in London. They do all you can eat sushi for £21. Throw in a few beers and its heaven on my business budget.

The Grange City Hotel offers a lot of deals, discounts and upgrades. In fact they are pretty imaginative. Please check their website and also they have an email newsletter. Sometimes they even offer ‘Secret Hotel’ deal on the lastminute.com website.

• Located right next to the Tower of London and Tower Hill Tube Station
• 307 En-suite rooms, 10 Suites and 1 Penthouse
• 15 Conference and Syndicate rooms
• 24 hour Reception desk, Concierge, porterage, laundry, dry cleaning
• 2 restaurants and 3 bars
• Health Club, swimming pool, gym, spa, steam and sauna
• Lots of restaurants, bars and shops on your doorstep
• Fully set-up for Accessibility needs and children from beds o food

ROOMS:
• Climate control and air conditioning and all rooms are non-smoking
• Tea/coffee making facilities, complimentary newspaper, in-room safe
• Iron and ironing board and trouser press
• Hypoallergenic pillows and duvets
• TV with satellite/cable TV channels, Pay Per View films, CD/Music Centre
• Mini bar (there is room for your own drinks)
• Business amenities including desk, High-speed internet (wired and Wi-Fi)
• Bathrooms have robes, great toiletries and telephone and hairdryer
• Wardrobes have automatic lighting
• Female friendly rooms

RESTAURANTS AND BARS:
• Koto II Japanese Restaurant (all you can eat on a conveyor)
• The Lutetia Bar and Brasserie (French – lunch and bar menu at night)
• Isis bar

FACILITIES:
• Indoor heated pool and Jacuzzi (with a Roman/Greek theme)
• Health Club, gym, spa, steam, sauna, beauty therapy, classes, virtual golf
• Car parking (not recommended) – on street and a 2 minute walk

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Spa and Resort, Luxury Travel, Historical Travel
  • Written July 11, 2013

THE SWIMMING POOL

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

MERCURE AYR HOTEL: IT WAS OK IN AYR, SCOTLAND

When I stayed here it was an OK hotel with good sized rooms, nice staff, excellent location although a little rough around the edges. It was a Ramada Hotel for years and that’s what you normally get. It has recently been bought out by Mercure. Knowing Mercure, I have no doubt they will mess this up. I drove here and they do have a small car park – so ring and ask them for a space first. The hotel is functional. It has a gym (really old), indoor pool, restaurant with reasonable food, bar and ok rooms. The rooms do have loud door closers and vary in size. Ask for a corner room on a high floor and you get a larger and quieter room. In terms of location, you are a 2-3 minute walk to either the seafront or the shopping/dining areas of town – so in between.

I stayed here twice and had a reasonable night’s sleep (after having the staff tell one family to either get quiet or leave) each time. I enjoyed the seafront, a few good restaurants nearby and even had some reasonable food in the hotel restaurant. I found the staff very helpful and positive and they always had time for questions and directions. If you book far enough in advance and/or use one of their deals, you can stay here at a very reasonable rate for business travellers.

Like I said, it’s OK. Not stellar, but a reasonable 3 star hotel with a gym and heated swimming pool.

ROOMS
All rooms are non-smoking, have free Wi-Fi, satellite, modern bathroom with bathtub/shower, toiletries, coffee/tea making trays, trouser press and ‘iron’, hairdryer, full length mirror and a work desk. There are 3 categories of rooms:
• Standard Room
Double beds and some are sea facing
• Executive Room
All are sea facing and you can see the Isle of Arran on clear days. Complimentary newspaper.
• Suites
Additional sitting room

• The Brasserie Restaurant – international menu
Breakfast: Monday-Friday: 07:00-09:30, Saturday: 07:30-10:00, Sunday: 08:00-11:00
Dinner: Daily from 18:00 - 21.30
• Bar (seems to have no name!)
Lunch: Bar snacks and meals every day from 11:00
• Room Service 24/7

FACILITIES
• Sebastian Coe Health Club (Gym, sauna and heated indoor pool)
• Golf Simulator
• Beauty treatments and message services
• Laundry/dry cleaning
• Car parking (45 spaces) – chargeable and limited – book in advance
• Special offers on website and email newsletter

• 7 meeting rooms with natural light – up to 200 people