Alice Hostel

Satisfaction Average

More about Budapest

The Island As Seen From Buda CastleThe Island As Seen From Buda Castle

Marxim Pizzéria, BudapestMarxim PizzĂ©ria, Budapest

dome from insidedome from inside

Church exterior 1Church exterior 1

Budapest to Sofia by train.

Hello,

Has anyone here taken the train from Budapest to Sofia ?
I've tried looking at the railway schedule but find it a bit confusing.
How long is the journey, and is there an early morning train from Budapest or else an overnight one ? I'm trying to maximise my time in both cities.
I was also unsure of the price of a return ticket (BUD-SOF-BUD). Any information in this regard would be much appreciated.
Was the journey safe and comfortable ? Would you recommend a private compartment ?

I'm assuming that the departure station in Budapest would be Keleti East. Is this correct ?

Thank you for any info.

by leics

Have you looked at

It carries times and details for the vast majority of European trains, and will certainly help with your confusion.

Trains leave Budapest Keleti station (although on on the MAV website below starts at Budapest Kellenfold) and journey times are 17+ hours. The direct overnight train at 2300 arrives at 1740 the next day, for example. The first train leaves at 13:15, so an overnight train would seem best if you wish to maximise your time.

is the Hungarian railway website in English. The search facility will give you both train times/details and fares. You will see ticket prices given in euros for some trains (although they have to be paid in Hungarian forints). Overnight returns start at 99 euro (although I suspect you will have to pay a supplement for sleeper/couchette etc).

Thank you Leics.
I've been back to the Hungarian rail site and can now better understand it.. I think ! I hadn't tried the German one but will do. It does sound like a pretty long journey and perhaps not ideal when time is limited. However I'm still investigating options. Thanks again.

by leics

Bahn.de is by far the easiest site to use for European train times and details.....it carries almost all of them.

But for fares you have to work your way through MAV (or wherever), I'm afraid!

Have a good trip, whatever you decide. :-)

by danbp

I don't know how long in advance are you planning your trip, but you may also consider flying, saving half a day and paying a lower fare. Malev Hungarian Airlines has an offer even at 55 EUR for September (I've just checked it).

Hey Dan, thanks.

Yes, I've been looking at flights too; I didn't go to the Malev site but instead went to Traveleurope and Theflightnetwork thinking they would be cheaper. The best rate I could see for a direct flight BUD/SOF/BUD was indeed with Malev - but at C$289.00 = EUR 187.90 return, with all taxes included, for Oct. 18th. I obviously like your rate better. I will check it out too.

My trip is not confirmed yet, but if it happens, this will be my 4th visit to Budapest in 6 years. Can you tell I really like your beautiful city ? :)
You were very helpful with advice for my previous visits as well so thanks again.

by danbp

You're welcome.

Travel Tips for Budapest

See the castle....
go to eat...

by evelin_long

See the castle....
go to eat to the 'Frici papa vendeglo'
visit the turkish thermal pool
see a moovie in 'muvesz mozi'
take a walk in the 'varos liget' Budapest is a town wich never sleep, there's always some pubs or clubs open, movies, cinemas, exhibitions...
there are many nice woomen and men...
and they are so so kindly...

In Your Pocket

by HORSCHECK

A great resource for information about travels to Eastern or Central Europe is "In Your Pocket". It provides information of more than 50 cities at the travel portal www.inyourpocket.com.
About 20 printed full city guides are available locally at various places including kiosks. The guides are most comprehensive, up to date and honest.

Please have a look at the webpage when planning a trip to Eastern or Central Europe:
In Your Pocket

Tipping

by MedioLatino

Tipping is easy in Hungary. In restaurants and bars we usually give about 10% tip. It's notting really strict, just round up the bill and tell the waiter to give you back from the amount you decide on (if the bill is 1235, say 1400, and so).

As you see, we don't leave the tip after paying the bill, but together with the payment.

We don't give tip in shops elsewhere. That's about it :)

Know before you go!

by Gypsystravels

I do a lot of research before I travel to any location, I am very well informed about the options for transport to and from the airport. I'm a big history buff, so I tend to read up on the history of the city I am traveling to, the local customs, the expectations the locals have on travelers. I tend to get a hold of a map and familiarize myself a bit with the streets and where my hotel is in relation to all the "important" places to visit. I will also go online with my bank to check to see if there is a branch location making my cash withdrawal easier and cheaper.

I will also make a tentative itinerary when I have only a few days, but I will not commit myself to that list. It is a way for me to narrow down the places I would like to see. This proves to be a good way to see as much as I do, but allows me to be spontaneous as well.

A few days before traveling I will also check the weather to have a better guide of my packing list.

Margit Sziged

by DPando

St Margaret Island is a green oasis in the city where people walk run jog, play kids or simply sit on a bench...its like the main european or north american great city parks
You can take a tram and get down in the middle of the bridge (Margit hid) and cross the road by an underground passage
the park is just in the middle of the river so you get excellent views to the city and the riverside buildings

Just like a historical remark i want to explain that this bridge was collapsed 4th Nov 1944 when Wermacht (military nazi police) destoryed it accidentally when they weregetting to resist the russian attack, installing mines under the bridge...it explode suffering hundreds of woundeds and deaths

Comments