Attila Hotel

Satisfaction Terrible

Costs 25% less but rated 47% lower than other 2.5 star hotels

More about Budapest

Deli Palyaudvar Street ViewDeli Palyaudvar Street View

Budapest view from Budai Var (Buda Castle)Budapest view from Budai Var (Buda Castle)

St. Matthew fountainSt. Matthew fountain

Goulash soupGoulash soup

The best baths???

by bradders33

So, now just 3 weeks until I go to Budapest, I am so excited. Cannot wait.. Although I think that the weather is going to be COLDDDDD!

I am loving the look on the spa baths. They look amazing! But there are so many, which one is the best and also, how close / far to the Astoria area??

Many Thanks,
Bradders. x

by bradders33

Weather reports said -3 degrees at night, so not very warm! LOL!

by leics

I liked Szechenyi....I liked it because there is an outdoor pool (fund when it is chilly, I imagine) and because I liked seeing the old men play chess in it.

But the Gellert bath has superb interior decoration. I think that might be the nearest to the Astoria (or the Rudas).

But getting around Budapest by tram/Metro is dead easy anyway. And fares are extremely reasonable.

This site:

gives info, prices and times for various baths.

You could go to a different baths every day of your visit, perhaps?

Be warned: the water is very sulphurous. your towel and costume will smell afterwards (and you will need to wash your hair).

-3 at night is not very cold really. It just means the temperature will drop that low in the early hours, so you will probably see frosty mornings. Take clothes you can layer! :-)

*fun when it is chilly*

Having said that, there's a quick walk to and from in the open air, so make sure you are nicely warmed up before you leave the pool!

by leics

Chance would be a fine thing. :-(

by bradders33

Unfortunately I cannot go in May Fugu, I am not complaining about the weather, just stating that it will be cold as the UK.

Baths will be fine, they are warm once in the hot water!

by bradders33

I think the cold will make it more fun Fugu.. We went in to our friends' hot tub the other week in their garden, it was -4 outside the tub, but a lovely 40 degrees IN it! LOL!

Somebody said I should go to the baths at night.. If I am feeling brave!

by rexvaughan

I have only been to Szecheny but it was wonderful. You do have a short walk between the dressing room and pool but it is not far. They have 3 pools there and one has flowing water that is fun. If I remember correctly, the 3 are of different temps. Don't stay in the warmest one too long.

by leics

Yes, there are signs telling you stay stay in the hottest one only ?15 mins? max.

We should make it clear there are indoor pools in Szechenyi as well. :-)

by muratkorman

Szecheny and Rudas are my favorites. Take a look at my Budapest page for details. I will be in Budapest in April and definitely I will go either or both.

by bradders33

Everyone, thanks so much for your advice.

We had a great weekend, one of the best city breaks I have been on I think. (Oh and the weather was lovely in the end!)

I have done a review of my weekend on my Hungary Intro page. Again, thanks for your help.

Excellent! :-)

Travel Tips for Budapest

Rakoczi ut

by edvin_br

This street is located in city Center, its maybe not the most glorious or the beautiful in Budapest but for me its a very special street because in my last visit i been there a lot because my final bus station was there.
The street is full of shops, restaurants and even some stands in the corners that selling many silly stuff...
I dont know about too special buildings in this street but the architecture is nice... nice hotels (Novotel, Mercure, Best Western, Astoria), some old buildings that i really liked, some churches, everything is renovated.
This street is located close to Vaci utca and leads also to the Keleti train station. In my last visit to Budapest (summer, 2003) it was my firsytt stop when i went down from the bus which i came with from the hotel.
This was a very nice evening and i had luck to see the sunset over Erszebeth bridge.

New York Palace Hotel former New York Kavehaz

by budapest8

I came here on my arrival to live in Budapest
and exploring the various cafes and boulevards.
I came to the New York Kavehaz or New York Cafe
as it was known and would sit upstairs and drink
a cappucinno and read a good book.
The walls were decorated with portraits of
famous Hungarian writers, poets and artists
whom used to frequent the establishment.
It was a shame when they closed their doors a few
years later, but lets hope they can return some
of it`s former glory and one might come in
and visit the cafe and procrastinate upon
life with a good book and a creamy capuccinno!

The protestant church on Szilágyi square

by 1courage

This is one of the best known churches in Budapest. you find it on the Szilágyi Dezső square right on the bank of the Danube, almost in front of the Parliament building. Impossible to miss it with it`s its caracteristic shape and rooftop. It was built in neo-gothic-secessionist style among 1892 and 1896 according to Samu Petz`s plans, thanks to the contribution of the Capitol and the protestants of Budapest.

The tower wich looks like a minareth is 65 metres tall and it never shades the church itself. The rooftop is covered by Zsolnay pyrogranit cheramics.

The City Park

by croisbeauty

The Millenary Monument is an enormous parade ground called Hosok tere (Heroe's Square). In its center stads an 85 m semicircular open colonade divided into two parts. This was built for the thousandth anniversary of Hungary's existence.
At its center is a 36 m column with a winged Archangel Gabriel on the top, holding the Cross of Lorraine in one hand and the crown of Hungary in the other.

Romai Furdo is an area half an...

by mauro_pd

Romai Furdo is an area half an hour by train away from Pest city center ... in this station the amazing blond beauty has been young about maybe 20 years ago :-) ... she was so excited to be here again that I couldn't avoid to dedicate a full travelogue to the event :-))))

Comments