Baroque Hostel

More about Budapest

Wife and I and the view of BudapestWife and I and the view of Budapest

VigszinhazVigszinhaz

DetailDetail

And this is why.And this is why.

New year's eve

by erlotravel

We are a couple traveling around East Europe from 29 December.
Please advise us the best places to be in new year's eve in Budapest or around it.
We are specifically looking for cheap (less than 20€ per night) places to sleep and also fun places to be or see in that night.
thanks

Re: New year's eve

by leics

Can't help with specific NYE spots, but you will find that hostels are by far the cheapest type of accommodation.

www.hostelworld.com lists the vast majority of European hostels.

www.hostelbookers.com is also worth checking.

Budapest hostels start at around 10 euro per person per night for your dates, although one offers dorm places for 8 euro. Remember that you do get what you pay for.

It would be sensible to book in advance at this popular time of year.

Travel Tips for Budapest

On our coming back from...

by Christianne

On our coming back from Marbella we were supposed to have a quick stop in Budapest.However, we realised when we were waiting for our luggages that half of them arrived at the airport.The same problem had half of the passengers.Consequently, we had to declare the lost luggages and we didn't manage to communicate the driver of the mini-bus waiting for us outside.This took about 2 hours.I don't have to mention that I was furious with Swissair.Thanks to the great system the airport of Budapest they found for us a hotel to spend the night, they made phone call for the reservation and they called a mini-bus to pick up us.
I saw what I saw from the city but unfortunately I was so angry and at the same time so sad that I didn't take any photos.The only pic I have is of the airport. The people of Budapest. I loved them!!!!! Very polite, kind and cute. All the people I met gave me the chance to have a little fun and to forget the loss of the luggages, which finally received them 4 days after in Belgrade. I really liked them.I want also to thank the people at the airport who helped us a lot.We'll come back very soon!!!!

The Belvárosi (Innercity parish) church

by 1courage

This is the 3rd most famous church of Budapest - after Saint Stephen`s Basilica and the Matthias church- and it has the typical history of a hungarian church. A long series of contructions, destructions and reconstructions.
Originally it was built in the XII.century on the walls of the adjacent Contra Aquincum roman walls, with the utilisation of the stones of the previous. Saint Gellért`s (san Gerardo) bones were burried here. This church was destryed by the mongolian invasors in 1241. After the tatars left the country the reconstruction modified the original style to gothic. This church was first transformed in a mosque during the turkish occupation but was partially destroyed mostly in 1686, but also in the previous wars. The church was ruinous for almost 40 years. The baroque reconstruction was realized between 1725 and 1739. In the second world war it was once again severly damaged but soon reconstructed.

The church needs a complete external renovation wich will begin when the refubishment of the Matthias church will be complete.

Eastern Europe cars

by DPando

Also in budapest there is some reminisences of the former rulers way of life... you can see cars like Volga's or others wherever you go in Eastern...the bulgarian countryside is amazing in these stuffs !!

Timewheel (Idokerek)

by marielexoteria

Budapest proudly hosts the world's largest hourglass. This time piece is made of steel, glass and granite and weighs about 60 tons. The sand flows for the period of a year and it takes 45 minutes of manpower from 4 people to turn it 180 degrees. The timewheel was first used in 2004, when Hungary formally became a member of the EU.

Edited to add: unfortunately this time piece doesn't work like it should, I heard from fellow VT member 1courage in a comment he left me some time ago (and that's taken me some time to add to this tip). Too bad :(

Access: it's located next to Heroes Square and behind the Palace of Art - or just follow the sign pointing to it.

Museum of Music History

by Heniko

Set in the magnificent Baroque surroundings of the Erd?dy Palace, the Museum of Music History charts the history of musical life in Budapest from the 18th to 20th centuries. A section of the exhibition is devoted to the life and works of composer B?la Bart?k, while early Hungarian musical instruments are also on display

Comments