Danubius Hotel Gellert

Tags

Business Travel Food and Dining Festivals
See Amenities
Penelope4's Profile Photo

A lovely hotel next to a spa and Danube river

by written on January 20, 2013

I can highly commend all the staff because they're the most professional hotel staff. My stay was so pleasant that I immediately booked my next stay (on-line) as soon I got home. Not only to avail of good prices but to make sure I get a room for the dates that I want.

Unique Quality: The breakfast is great! The view and the attentive staff will make you want to stay longer in the restaurant but then you realize the spa is waiting. The hotel provides a bathrobe for you to use at the spa which you can enter without having to go out of the hotel. The spa is not owned by the hotel but you get free access and pay 50% for your next visit.

It was a cold weekend in January but the heating works and the towels are clean.

The live piano music from 6 to 8 pm in the Espresso Bar is to die for (I am still alive so you see I am just exaggerating).

I like everything about the hotel. Including the location!

Directions: From the main train station, take bus 7 which will stop just a few meters away from the hotel.

Old but Pleasant

by written on December 6, 2011

Although the hotel is a bit worn, I had a very pleasant stay at the Gellert. The hot baths got rave reviews, but I did not visit them. Breakfast was a fabulous meal. In addition to a very extensive buffet, they would prepare omlettes or eggs any way you requested. The best feature about the hotel was the service. From the individuals behind the registration counter, who offered excellent advice about the city's best restaurants, to the doormen and bellmen, the people made it a delightful experience. The hotel also used a very efficient cab service.

Unique Quality: The view from my window across the Danube was superb.

avoid it

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 18, 2009

This is the second time i write a review and I assume that my first one was deleted,I would advice visitors to budapest to avoid this hotel .

Unique Quality: The outside thermal water seemed contaminated .The rooms are outdated even the so called refurbished rooms do not measure up to a 4 star hotel.The spa is very inconvienient to get to from the hotel and it seems like a labyrinth.

Directions: szent gellert ter

zuhur's Profile Photo

Gellert for its Baths

by written on March 31, 2008

My conference was located in this hotel. It is an old-fashioned hotel - so one is avoiding the ubiquity of the large chains. On the other hand, my first room was quite plain, and the entire floor could do with new carpet; there is a musty smell, and the outside of the building needs that steam-cleaning! When I needed to use the Internet, it was down. The meals were just fine, though with some odd features -- these were part of the conference, so I am grateful for that as in general, restaurants were very expensive.

When two more persons came to join me, the hotel did oblige and put us in a larger and nicer room, right on the front of the building with a great view of the river.

Centrally located. Quite expensive.

Unique Quality: Outstanding historic baths. Indoor beautiful pool -- but not for free-swimming; instead follow the other bathers, going to the very hot water, then icy smaller pool, then swimming round and round the large pool. I tried to swim laps and an attendant screamed at me so I stopped -- but that might actually have been nice to do if the whole experience weren't so regimented.

Directions: Near the center of the city on the Buda side.

Jivegirl's Profile Photo

We made the right choice

by written on January 4, 2008

We stayed here with our 6 year old son and my inlaws mainly for the Christmas market.
We booked directly by email and were offered a deal of booking 2 nights with a third free including breakfast welcome drink, free spa and 25% off meals. The hotel also arranged taxi transfer from the airport which as a reasonable price and hassle free.
Staff were friendly and helpful from the commissionaire at the door, to hotel reception staff who reminded us to have our welcome drink. The charming foyer was dominated by a Christmas tree and crib which our son adored.
Our unrenovated room was enormous (112 I think) with a balcony bathroom and walk in wardrobe /dressing area. It wasn’t up to the minute boutique style, but had elegance and character. With winter temperatures it would have been chilly without the additional plug in radiator already supplied. Our son was comfortable in his rollaway bed. My in laws room no16 wasnt quite as big but till spacious with a balcony.We were very impressed.

Our bathrooms were a little old fashioned with standard shower but were spotless.
Breakfast in the lovely dining room was self service with a wonderful selection of food from bacon and eggs to salads and patisserie. So good we didn’t need much more than coffee and cake for lunch.

We enjoyed the Gellert immensely. Certainly the price we paid was an absolute bargain. The hotel is gradually being renovated. We fear that once all the refurbishments are completed there may not be special deals in the future, and that it could lose its unique character. So go now and ask for a larger room like ours.

We popped into the Gresham 4 Seasons hotel for coffee This was a very beautiful historic building which had been refurbished and restyled in the last few years. The communal areas that we saw were shiny shiny and dripping with designer detail …with prices to match We had no doubts at all that the Gellert Hotel had been the right choice for us and would go back again.

Unique Quality: The fantastic building itself is a stand out on the Buda side of the river.If you get lost at night you cant miss it.We arrived in darkness and the hotel looked fantastic all lit up and a definite landmark on the Buda side.
The views over the river and Liberty bridge were impressive especiallly at night when many buildings were flood lit.
The spa is an experience in itself harking back to the days of the Austro Hungarian empire. Each morning we trooped along the corridor up a floor then down in the famous lift and through the public entrance hall to the spa. (Oddly towelling robes were supplied in the hotel rooms but you needed to buy slippers for a nominal sum at the hotel reception so be prepared)
The lift ladies always made a fuss of our son in his oversize adult bathrobe they also appreciated our attempts at thank you in Hungarian.
The spa was what we were expecting, historic impressive and full of Hungarians taking the whole process very seriously .It felt like you were bathing in an art nouveau theatre. The indoor swimming pool felt quite cold and though my mother- in -law and husband were determined to do a couple of lengths they soon joined the rest of our party in the warm pool at the side. Here you were not officially allowed to swim but to wallow.
We also tried the thermal baths. The female baths were closed for restoration so the male bath was temporarily communal dont worry noone was in their birthday suit.

The stained glass windows on each floor are a must see.
although it was closed in winter when we visited and was undergoing renovation, the outside pool has a unique wave making machine constructed in the 1930s.
The staff were very friendly and welcoming and the breakfast fantastic. Wed certainly go back again perhaps in the Spring.

Directions: Right by the river on the Buda side opposite Liberty Bridge

Best Hotel & Spa in Budapest

by written on April 13, 2007

Yes, I would certainly recommend it! It's not just a hotel, it's an experience.Nice staff, wonderful food, beautiful music. Rooms are OK, It all has this sense of luxuary.....

Unique Quality: The pools, both inside and outside, are beautiful ancient bath spa's Once you're in int, you feel how it must have been 100 years ago.

Directions: Near the Donau

OnTheRoadGoombah's Profile Photo

Hit the Baths Early

by written on April 12, 2007

I stayed at the Gellert in 2005 and found it very charming. I was traveling alone and got a junior room -- which is barely bigger than the twin sized bed in it. It didn't matter as the bed was comfortable and I didn't spend much time in the room at all. The junior room was relatively inexpensive and was a great bargain.

By staying at the hotel, you have free access to the world famous Gellert Baths. Since I went in November, the warm baths were welcome relief. My only note of caution would be to go to the Baths early in the morning. I went down around 6:30 am and enjoyed the warm mineral baths. After I had gone sightseeing and got cold, I thought it might be relaxing to head back down there -- bad mistake. The water in the afternoon dod not resemble the clean clear water that I enjoyed in the morning.

Unique Quality: In addition to the baths, the bartender downstairs was extremely helpful. I have learned never to ask concierges for recommendations, but instead to ask the cleaning staff or bartender. I asked my bartender where he would go out to eat with his wife and three kids for a traditional Hungarian meal.

So instead of being directed to an overpriced tourist trap, he recommended a nice family style restaurant near the Gellert. He even gave me instructions on riding the trolley to the restaurant. As soon as I find my receipt, I will share the name of the erstaurant with you...my loyal readers!

kitsikopoulou's Profile Photo

Gellert

by written on February 12, 2007

The four-star Danubius Hotel Gellert,completed in 1918, is one of the most traditional hotels in Budapest and Hungary. Too expensive to stay in but the hot baths are a must and quite cheap!

Todd64's Profile Photo

The Grand Gellert

by written on August 18, 2006

Unique Quality: The Gellert houses certainly not the "cheapest", but definately the most beautiful thermal baths in the city.

traveloturc's Profile Photo

Pearl of Buda

by written on June 14, 2006

Hotel Gellert is a very old hotel in Budapest. The place and the view of the hotel is sensationnal .There is also a spa and themal facilities in this hotel which they claim that its very helpful specially for rhumatism and arthrides .It can be a good experience to stay at least one night in this hotel.

lichinga's Profile Photo

Such a lovely out-of-time place!

by written on April 25, 2006

Unique Quality: What can one say when maybe the second most beautiful spa's in the world are in the cave of the hotel itself and you may reach them via an internal lift directly from your rooom?

Directions: On the south of Buda side, close to Szabadsag bridge

littlesam1's Profile Photo

The Gellert - Budapest's Best Known Hotel

by written on April 12, 2006

The Gellert Hotel is probably Budapest best know hotel. When I began planning my trip it came up every search engine I used for accomodations. I read many mixed opinions about The Gellert and was almost afraid I had made a wrong choice after reading many negative critics of the facility. I now feel that many of the negetive comments made on the web about the Gellert are unfounded in my opinion. It is listed as a four star hotel and is said to be quite expensive. I had a single room for one person with a bathroom and only paid 70 Euro's a night. My room as small and did not have a great view, it overlooked an inside courtyard. However it was clean and comfortable and I had no complaints. Parts of the hotel have been completely renovated. My room was one of the older rooms and was in need of some renovation but it was not in bad condition in any way.

Unique Quality: The famous Gellert Baths are attached to the hotel. I was here in early spring before the elaborate outside wave pool and other swimming areas were open. However the Turkish baths and health spa were open inside and included in the cost of the room. I used the spa and baths daily after a long day of walking and exploring the city. They were a great way to relax. There is a male and female only bath in the hotel and also a large pool that is open to both men and women. You do not need swimming apparrel for the same sex baths. On the mens side you are provided with a small apron to use in the baths. If you are not overly modest this is a great way to enjoy the comfort of the baths. Be warned though, the staff at the baths are not overly friendly. The older men who worked in the changing area of the mens bath were actually rude at times and seemed to hate everything about their job. Be sure to check your cabin number when you change. You are given a bracelet to wear with an ID number on it. It has nothing to do with your cabin number. I have no idea what the number is for actually. I almost caused an incident when I thought it was my cabin number and then realized I had no idea what number cabin held my clothes.

Mikebb's Profile Photo

By the Danube on the Buda side

by written on December 3, 2005

We did not stay at this hotel but visited it one day. We were impressed with the building, its location overlooking the Danube, the excellent outdoor facilities, the wave pool and the extensive sun lounge area. The Gellert Bath adjoins the hotel. It is very close to the Castle area and you can walk accross the Erzsebet Bridge and you are in Pest with the Vaci Utca only minutes away. For those who do not like to walk the tram is outside the hotel.

Directions: Close to the Erzsebet Bridge on the Buda side, the Gellert Bath adjoins

sourbugger's Profile Photo

Stay in the grand old lady....

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 27, 2005

The Gellert was THE hotel in Budapest, a product of the inter-war years many famous people have passed through its doors including the heads of a good number of the world's countries.

Being such a grand old lady refurbishment is a continual problem. Some rooms, such as the impressive corner suites are up to five-star western standards whilst some split-level cheaper rooms benefit from weird light fittings and turd-brown carpets.

As it is so large, the management are fairly amenable about changing rooms within the same or similar price bracket.

Public areas are well maintained with a small bar, a brasserie, shop and the other usual stuff you would expect in a hotel in this class.

Unique Quality: The stained glass is quite interesting. It appears in a number of places throughout thye hotel. I especially liked the ones based on transport on the fourth floor.

The Gellert's main unique feature is the spa, with its own clanking, connecting lift, manned by a woman whose being going up in the world (and down) since 1953.

See other tips of The Gellert spa

Directions: opp gellert hill

msmm's Profile Photo

Grand hotel at a small price

by written on April 19, 2005

Stayed 2 nights for a long weekend. Small room as indicated on booking but still larger than the single room I had in a hotel in Venice.

It has a small single bed and luckily I had a small balcony overlooking the side street. The shower is good size with liquid soap and shower cap. Mini bar, colour TV and a electronic safe.

Buffet breakfast has a good selection of bread, cereal, fruit, cold/ cooked items and tea bags.

Unique Quality: Good value for money considering the free use of Gellert Spa for hotel guest although the location is not ideal.

However, with no air-conditioning it can get real hot in the Summer (I guess). Also, the rooms use key lock, so remember to lock the door whether one is staying in or going out.

Nearby Danubius Hotel Gellert

• Suites
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Airport Transportation

Budapest Travel Forum

Need advice about Budapest, Hungary? Visit the Travel Forum for Budapest and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Budapest hotel reviews

Boscolo New York Palace Hotel Budapest
Excellent (4.5 out of 5.0) 2 Reviews
InterContinental Budapest
Excellent (4.5 out of 5.0) 12 Reviews
Budapest Apartment 4 (Locust Tree Apartments)
Best (5.0 out of 5.0) 2 Reviews

Monument to the past
Good selection and friendly
Popular for a reason
Restaurants
Dont go with your car / motorhome in Budapest!
Totally unsafe place