Hotel Dunabardi

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

Good For No Data

More about Budapest

Single TicketSingle Ticket

the main hall stretchthe main hall stretch

facade of the Ethnographic museumfacade of the Ethnographic museum

A thoughtful bull.A thoughtful bull.

Budapest - What to really expect @ the Gellert Baths

by Catgal

Hello! My husband and I will be celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary in Budapest. We will be there from 15th October to 21st October. We are staying at the Art'otel.

We are planning to go to the Gellert baths as our first stop to overcome jet lag (we are coming from New York, USA). I have read so many conflicting reviews of the baths, that I don't quite know what to expect.

I plan on leaving valuables at the hotel. And I plan on bringing my swimsuit, and towel, and a robe. I would like a changing cabin and to get a massage.

Can some of you who have been there let me know what to expect? What are the cusoms, will there be a language barrier, do I really need to be worried about my things being taken or stolen? Or do those things only really happen if you're a jerk?

Thanks in advance,
Cat

by TexasDave

We went there in March, which was a low season for tourists, as I imagine October will be as well, and it wasn't overly crowded. We had no problem at all. Signs were in English (there are multiple options and price ranges available)and the people we dealt with seemed used to dealing with foreigners. Any difficulty in communication was resolved with gestures. Of course, we were there just one time, but everything was very nice.

by DueSer

I can vouch for there definitely being a language barrier. As popular as the place is, I figured they dealt with all sorts of foreign language speakers and had some way around any communication problems - not so much, unfortunately. I ordered 1 entry, 1 small changing cabin and 1 towel. The clerk insisted that I wanted to buy 2 towels. I kept saying no, I just need one towel, but she was so insistent that I finally relented, thinking maybe it's some tradition there - one towel to wrap around you and one for your massage table or something??? Anyway, no, not tradition, she assumed the person in line behind me was with me and, even though I'd just said, "1 person, 1 small cabin, 1 towel" she evidently didn't understand anything except "1 towel." She had charged me 2 entry fees, a big cabin, and the 2 towels. I didn't realize it until she handed me the credit slip to sign and the total was astronimcal. Then when I wanted her to credit my card, she said she didn't understand. It was very frustrating.
I would suggest maybe making the clerk repeat back to you exactly what you want to get before you hand over your credit card or cash just to make sure you know that she understands what you've just said.

by muratkorman

Hi Cat,

Gellert bath has male and female sections seperated with a common pool in the middle. My experience there wasn't that impressive. I suggest you 2 other options : Rudas Furdo which is close to Gellert. Szechenyi Furdo close to Heroes Square. You can check my tips on these baths including Gellert and make your own choice. Enjoy Budapest :)

by ccummings

I had a very similar experience as DueSer. The language barrier made it uber confusing. A friend thought she paid for a massage 'with oil' only to have a large Hungarian woman simply give her a soap bath. Somehow, I got wisked to a private room for a 'medical' massage, only to have my naked body contorted in all sorts of compromising positions. While the spa experience was nothing like what I am used to, the language barrier and not-so-friendly women at the check in desk make me and my friends laugh about it to this day - 10 or so years later! Oh, they do have keyed lockers where you can leave your valuables; I didn't worry about my stuff being stolen.

by glen75

im staying at the art'otel too.im going on 5th october.i will give you a heads up when i get back.

Travel Tips for Budapest

Ride the 'siklo' or inclined...

by shrimp56

Ride the 'siklo' or inclined funicular up to Castle Hill. You 'catch' the 'siklo' at Clark Adam Ter, just across the Chain Bridge on the Buda side of the Danube. [This picture was taken by a student of ours. Thanks Linda!]

Navigating Budapest: Nyugati Ter

by antistar

Even though it's north of the centre, Nyugati Ter means "West Square". The confusion lies in the naming of the train stations which the square serves. Like most of Budapest's squares, there's little walking space available, but it does have an enormous underground square. It's like nothing else in Budapest: it has shops, restaurants, and lots of small market stalls. But it's also grim, littered with drunks and prostitutes, and best avoided late at night.

What you will find here is the fantastic looking Nyugati station, designed by Eiffel himself. It's useful mostly for destinations inside Hungary. There's also the excellent West End shopping centre. There's nothing much touristic beyond Nyugati, so if you've come this far, jump on the metro and head back into the city.

The name looks difficult, but the pronunciation is somewhat like "new-gatti".

Vters in action

by m-joy

When walking through the streets at night, don't care of local vt-ers or vt-tourists strolling around with big trash cans in their hands!!
Here you see my travel partner Win (rhineroll) and famous local tourist guide Attila (mediolatino) in action, catching the perfect nightshot with a little help from a trash can found on the way to Heroe's Square ;-)

Summer in Budapest

by Dabs

We visited in August and experienced a severe change in the weather. The first two days it was extremely hot and the 3rd day it was cold and rainy. So even in the summer it's a good idea to pack a rain coat, sweater and an umbrella. If you plan on visiting the baths, pack a swim cap if you have one or else you'll have to wear the shower caps they sell

ING bank headquarter's main facade

by csordila

The ING bank headquarter's main facade disintegrates into three parts intentionally, which let it not to be monotonous, but let it lead on into the world of the villa-like buildings. The distorted, narrow standing windowed, many ruled stone-glass-metals composition is tied up into one by chromium-plated bands being run into irregular directions. The hidden lamps behind the bands attract the look with mysterious lights in the evening.
The office block was designed by Eric van Egeraat dutch architect in 2004.

Direction: Located on Dózsa György street, opposite the Wheel of time, not far from Hero square.

Comments