Jagello Business Hotel

Jagello Business Hotel
Orbitz.com Booking.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

More about Budapest

Ferenc utca (I think)Ferenc utca (I think)

National TheaterNational Theater

St. Mary portalSt. Mary portal

Auguszt cafe, BudapestAuguszt cafe, Budapest

Similarities b/w Prague and Budapest??

by monicarc

Am planning our next trip to europe--either Dubrovnik or Budapest. We were just in Prague in October and it seems like Budapest might be a bit similiar to PRague--ie crossing a bridge, beautiful buildings, etc etc. We defintely want to experience something a little different this trip--pleae let me know if you think Prague and Budapest are similar. fyi, we aren't really going to museum types, we like to mainly stroll around, people watch, etc etc.

Re: Similarities b/w Prague and Budapest??

by ViajesdelMundo

Since almost all major European cities are built on a river, where would you NOT find bridges??

to me both cities are VERY different in atmosphere; I loved Budapest, had some great times there, but thought Prague felt a little more OLD wordly (that was in Spring 2007). Both have lots to do; and strolling and people-watching IMO is more do-able in Prague; several dif areas; and the main square is quite large and very diverse and many little streets off it.

I don't have a lot on my pages for either city, but you might get a sense of the architecture etc on my Prague Tips, etc.

Re: Similarities b/w Prague and Budapest??

by monicarc

Thanks for all the replies--I just went to Prague in October, so my main concern is going to Budapest will be a sort of repeat of Prague and we want to see something different, ie going to dubrovnik....

Travel Tips for Budapest

1000 year old history

by janika

My favorite places are the thermal baths in Budapest. It is all natural hot spring water coming from deep underground. These baths normally offer a variety of spa services as well like massage, pedicure, medical consultation, etc. Make sure you don’t stay too long in the hot tubs 20 minutes maximum in each tub. It makes you really tired. Sometimes to a point where you can’t even stand up. This thermal water is very good for your nerves, skin, muscles, stomach, etc.
Please don’t drink from the pool. There are places where they serve the thermal water in glasses, warm. It is weird firs to drink warm water but it is truly good for you. Thermal baths in Budapest: Gellért, Lukács, Rudas, Széchenyi, Király, Palatinusz, and there are many more to list.

You must visit the Halász Bástya, Mátyás Templom, Buda Vára, Take a boat trip on the Danube (Duna) river which divides Budapest to Buda and Pest. Have a nice walk on Margit Sziget (Margaret Island) That’s where Palatinusz is found.
. My fondest memory is walking on the streets of Budapest and seeing lots of people. The city is alive and the people are beautiful.

Architecture

by HORSCHECK

Keep your eyes open when wandering through the streets of Budapest. There are many known and unknown architectural sights.
The Castle District in Buda offers buildings with medieval atmosphere. An example for the Neo-Renaissance style is the Opera at Andrassy utca 22.
Another amazing building is the former Post Office Savings Bank with its colorful tiled roof. This Hungarian Art Nouveau style building can be found in Hold utca 4.

The Maygar Language

by cjg1

The Hungarian name for the language is Magyar. It is considered to be one of the most difficult languages for speakers of English to learn. I wasn't comfortable with trying to read or speak the language. Thank God we had our friend to translate for us.

HUNGARIAN FOLK ART Hungary has...

by chrissyalex

HUNGARIAN FOLK ART Hungary has some of the nicest folkart! Beautiful embroidered linen and clothing,painted eggs,wooden toys and ceramics. The ETHNOGRAPHICAL MUSEUM has a beautiful collection of folk costumes representing the various nationalities and regions in Hungary For more about this museum
www.hem.hu
For pictures of some beautiful Hungarian costumes from all regions of Hungary ,go to this very nice site! www.hunmagyar.org/costumes folkmap.htm I usually use only my own pictures..but I obtained the picture on the left from this site.

The Telephone Museum (Uri Utca 49 )

by nicolaitan

This small museum has been open since 1991 tracing the telephones used in Hungary from the beginning to the current. It is housed in a courtyard wing of a protected building once a priory, and then housed the Parliament and the Department of the Interior. It was converted to a telephone switching station in 1924. Ranging from primitive to sophisiticated, the museum is quite comprehensive but the featured exhibit is a working antique dating to the 1880's. A side exhibit features the history of pay phones.

The museum is accessed from Uri Utca through an unmarked entrance gateway into a courtyard. Only a small sign in a corner of the courtyard identifies the entrance. The museum is therefore hard to find and empty. The single woman working there seemed gratified that we came by and gave us an individualized 30 minute guided tour of the museum. We were the only people in the museum. As we left, we were asked to sign the guest register. Looking back on the pages, it would appear that there are no more than 2 or 3 visitors on a busy day and some days none at all. 30 minutes of telephone history was probably a bit more than we needed, but we sure learned a lot about telephone science. In retrospect, a remarkable museum and a very notable experience.

Comments