Martos Hotel

Based on 3 reviews
Booking.com eDreams

Could be worse

by written on May 4, 2005

This hostel was by no means luxurious, but it was sufficient for spending four nights in Budapest with a tight budget.

good points:

bad points:
1. quite grubby
2. insect infestation in my room
3. unfriendly staff

i have stayed in better and worse hostels, so the martos hotel just about gets the thumbs up.

mean_green_leftovers's Profile Photo

Good ol' Martos

by written on December 16, 2004

First of all, I did not stay here as a hosteler, but rather as a student. During the school year, this place doubles as a dorm, but no matter how you stay here, it is still a dump. I stayed because it only cost about $25 a month for me, but it is more expensive if you stay for the night (about $7).
The upside is that there are no huge dorm rooms. I think max is 3 beds. You also have a sink in your room and some have toilets, which is a good thing given the horrifying common bathrooms. Unfortunately, there is only a small curtain that divides it from the room, so this can lead to unpleasantness after a night of heavy drinking. The so called kitchen facilities leave much to be desired. The burners barely work, and many of the ovens and microwaves are inoperable. The laundry facilities have no drier, and it can be nearly impossible to get the key during the semester. It is also very noisy on the first floor where I live.

Unique Quality: There are some good things about the place. There is a very cheap bar on the ground floor which may or may not be open in the summer, but during school they have big parties on Fri. If you come during the semester, you have a pretty good chance of meeting Hungarian or international students. Martos is also pretty close to the trams that follow the main loops around Pest.
I have been told that there are better places in Budapest, so I would suggest searching further.

My satisfaction rating is based on the fact that I paid less in a whole semester here than one month at my flat back home.

Directions: On the Buda side close to the river. Take tram 18, 19, 41, 47, 49 to Bertalan Lajos stop (one stop S of Gellert stop). Take Bertalan Lajos u. one block past the next light, right on Sztoczek u.

caribou_ire's Profile Photo

by written on September 11, 2004

Our room was bigger than expected, two beds, a sink, two desks and some shelves. Nice. And then we saw one....a little cockroach-like bug running along the wall. It's okay, i thought, i'll just squash it with my book ('Talk of the Town',by Ardal O'Hanlon. A very good book.). That poor bug died instantly and would never get to explore the rest of our room. His friends would though, as we discovered many others rampaging our wall and shelves. It made sleeping comfortably a little difficult. Nonetheless we managed to get by, and only ran into problems when attempting to cook our dinner on the ''cooking facilities''. The hobs on the cooker were in a horrid state; filthy dirty, and as we learned, not working very well. Our pot of hot water for pasta, never actually managed to boil, and so our delicious pasta turned our to be not so delicious soggy almost sludge like pasta.
The staff weren't by any means overly friendly, quite cold often.

Unique Quality: Free Internet access, which is swell, aswell as a fantastic drinks machine. All sorts of hot and cold drinks for absolute minimal prices! 30cent for smooth creamy hot chocolate. I would say Budapest is worth going to just for this drinks machine, located on the ground floor of 'Martos Hostel', right beside the phones. Really made up for everything else crap about the place.

Nearby Martos Hotel

1 Photo of Martos Hotel

Budapest Travel Forum

Need advice about Budapest, Hungary? Visit the Travel Forum for Budapest and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Budapest hotel reviews