Storaflat - Vivaldi Apartment

Vaci Utca 46/B - IV/4, V District, Budapest, 1051, Hungary

More about Budapest

Takler's 2008 Merlot from VillianyiTakler's 2008 Merlot from Villianyi

The synagogue hidden in backThe synagogue hidden in back

Baroque house #4Baroque house #4

And one last picturreAnd one last picturre

A Month in Budapest on a Budget

by PLamb8

I'm currently at a crossroads in my life, and have a strong drive to travel, and learn something new. I've talked to a few friends who've been to Budapest, and they've loved it, and I'm finding now that housing there is pretty cheap (I found an apartment near Nyugati Square for about 500 USD a month!). So I'm thinking of possibly spending a month this upcoming Winter in Budapest.
But there's a couple of things I would like to ask about, and discuss.

-After I pay for the plane ticket, and the apartment, I'll have around 2,600 USD to spend on everything else. Is this enough for a month? I'm not hard to please, and I can stretch a dollar pretty far, but still..

-I'll be alone. Is there an easy way, other than staying in a hostel, to meet others and possibly make a friend? I'm young, but I'm definitely not going to be going to clubs by myself.

-Is a month way too much time to be exploring and having fun in one city? Does Budapest have that much to offer? I've never been one to travel for a few days, cram as much as I can in, and then move onto the next place. I guess I'm answering my own questions, but I'm interested in what you all would have to say.

I apologize if I sound naive I'd just like to hear any opinions. Thanks!

by leics

Not naive at all. Some points to consider:

It will be cold in the winter, wet and possibly snowy. You may have to budget for heating costs (are these included in the rental?). You will certainly need appropriate clothing. There will be fewer daylight hours for exploration. Will you be happy being inside a lot, or will you get bored? Your apartment TV may have very few (or no) English language stations, for example.

Budapest is a very nice city but a month is a long time. Will you have enough in the budget to explore the surrounding area on daytrips using public transport?

Personally, I think I'd find a month in winter too long. I think I'd investigate splitting the time between two bases....perhaps Budapest and Prague, or Budapest and Krakow

by fischert

Hi PLamb8

500 USD for a flat is only cheap if everything (electricity, gas, heating, maybe a TV channel package) is included.

For 2600 USD for a month you can live in hungary like a king. The average nsalary in hungary is cc. 600 USD (net!). And they have to pay the flat with all the connecting costs from this budget. So if you have 2600 over the flat rent you will be a wealthy man.

you can find social events where you can make friendships it's all up to you. You can find events in your interest area (religion, sport, culture).

If you willing to travel a bit you can explore hungary. With 1 or 2 hour journey you can reach many places.

If you have further questions, feel free to ask.

Budapestian, Tamás

by margsch

Is the accommodation you have in mind a holiday rental? Most landlords would not be willing to rent out a "normal" apartment for only a month, they have long term tenants in mind. I have been to Budapest and agree it is a fabulous city but I wouldn,t want to spend a month there. In winter many of the tourist sights will be closed and I really think you would be struggling, on your own, to fill that amount of time. Also English is not widely spoken so you may get a bit lonely.
If I were you I would travel in summer and perhaps stay in Youth Hostels where you would meet others in your age group. I believe eastern Europe is fairly cheap so perhaps try to visit some other countries over there.

by petersnice

I agree with leics, with a month and some $3000 in hand you should go for a bolder trip and visit two, three or perhaps even more cities in eastern/central Europe. There's Vienna, Berlin, Prague, Krakow, Belgrade etc. in the neighborhood. It depends on where you've been so far though.

Travel Tips for Budapest

The Alkotmány (Constitution) street

by 1courage

As you can see in these General tips, the streets and churches in Budapest are really fantastic. Let`s start with the Alkotmány (Constitution) street, wich you find right next to the Parliament.
However the streets nearby we can see loads of secessionist buildings (see other tips), this one was constructed some years earlier compared to them, in eclectic style. It is surely one of the most elegant and expensive streets in Budapest It begins at the Bajcsy Zsilinszky street and ends at the Kossuth square-it runs into the Parliament Building.
But before presenting these streets, in the following tips I`m going to write about the fabulous churches of Budapest.

Chain bridge

by AndyRG

It is city's most famous bridge (1842-1849), the first which linked Buda and Pest. The view of Buda from there is really very good. Dunabe flows through the city about 28 km, it runs through 7 countries! Budapest is called "The pearl of Dunabe", don't you think so?

Vajdahunyad Castle What is...

by chrissyalex

Vajdahunyad Castle What is unique about this complex of buildings is that it represents several different types of architecture including Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque. The Baroque section houses the Museum of Agriculture.

15th March - People at the National Museum

by MedioLatino

The 15th March is a National Holiday in Hungary to commemorate the revolution of 1848.

At this time major festivities are being held around the city, one of the biggest ones at the National Museum.

This day usually is one of the first real spring days. Now it actually happened be the very first "off the jacket" day in the year, that is why people are taking some sunbath on the stairs of the Museum.

(The National Museum is on Muzeum krt., near Kalvin ter M3 underground station)

Travel pass

by colbeck100

We bought the travel pass and loved the transport system. There always seems to be a tram or train or bus ready to connect you. We went on buses not having a clue where they were going but we always managed to get back to the centre. We saw a Budapest that was not on tourist routes and perhaps we saw much of real City. The drivers while not being informative were friendly and made sure we got back to the centre. Be sure to get and keep your ticket because plain clothes inspectors stopped us to check - goodness knows what would have happened if we had not bothered to buy.

Comments