Yellow Submarine Lotus Youth Hostel

RandomDreamer's Profile Photo

Avoid it Like the Plague

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 20, 2005

When you book a youth hostel you know not to expect luxury... but you at least expect the basics. Granted this place is cheap, full of cool people, friendly and well located but that's where it's good points end.

To start, we had booked in advance and asked for the penthouse suite (don't get carried away, it's just the room in the roof which costs a little more and has a few extra luxuries like a kitchen and bathroom that's only share with a couple of other people). However, we were put into a 10 bed dorm despite still being charged for the penthouse... we were moved there the next night after complaining.

The other main problem with this bostel is the cleanliness! First, there's bedbugs... you can feel them crawling over you before you sleep and wake up covered in bites. Second, the pillows we were given were dark yellow (not naturally) and had no cases. We had to go and buy some pillow cases on our second day. Finally, the shared facilities in the dorm were awful (although they were good in the penthouse). The shower obviously hadn't been cleaned for weeks and the cooker didn't even work.

That said, this was in 2002 and I appreciate that the place may have improved... especially now that Budapest is more of a tourist destination now but I suggest you be wary. Unfortunately, from other people I spoke to it transpired that the youth hostels in Budapest were generally quite poor... shop around online for genuine reviews before you decide where to stay.

Dorms are 2800HUF per night, double rooms 4500HUF. The single room in the Penthouse is 7500HUF and triple/quad room is 3500HUF (you may have to share this room as there's 5 beds).

Directions: About 100 metres east of Nyugati Palyaudvar

Ingalotta's Profile Photo

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 1, 2004

I stayed there several times. When I first arrived there by mistake - i should have been on a plane to Helsinki instead - it was bit frightening to go upstairs 3 floors with the stairs just dimly lit. The elevator didn't look safe either, so I decided to walk.
Three weeks later I was there again and had the time of my life.
OK, the place is definitly not the cleanest and the most comfortable place in town, but for me it's still one of the best hostels I've ever been to.
Great people staying there, great staff, lots of fun.

Have a good time!

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on March 12, 2004

I stayed there for a week. At first the place looked a little unorganized but later on I recognized the best youth hostel I ever stayed. The two best thing in that place is the location and the staff. Oli, Peter, Dora and Sofie provided great service for me. After 10 it is little noisy but if you ask the receptionist he will help you right away. Breakfast is all you can eat, sort of continental breakfast.

Unique Quality: Great staff!!

Directions: Nyugati ter, V.district. City center.

hslowe's Profile Photo

Yellow Submarine (Lotus...

by written on September 7, 2002

Yellow Submarine (Lotus Youth Hostel)

Unique Quality: I LOVE THIS PLACE! I never would have found it if I hadn't been with more experienced backpackers...but I'm so glad I did. The people are great, the rooms are cool (and clean),
they stock all kinds of yummy beers, and the breakfasts are good. I made some truly wonderful friends at the Yellow Submarine.

Directions: H-1066 Budapest, Teréz krt. 56.
3rd floor

Kind of hard to find, but worth it.

Phone: +36-1-3319896 Fax : +36-1-3319896

Imbi's Profile Photo

Nice cheap place

by written on September 1, 2002

Dorms around £ 8
Single room around £ 15

Unique Quality: Non stop downstairs to fulfill all your late night thirsts or hungers as you return from clubs and pubs. The staff are great. The cleaning lady rocks and puts up with alot.Family environment. incestuous at time. you can feel the love if you know what i mean. basically it just kicks ass stay there or regret it.

Directions: from "KELETI",take trolley-bus number 73 and get off at the Podmaniczky stop. Cross the main road (Terez Krt.) and you will find the hostel right in front of you at 56 Terez Krt

Nearby Yellow Submarine Lotus Youth Hostel

2 Photos of Yellow Submarine Lotus Youth Hostel

Budapest Travel Forum

Need advice about Budapest, Hungary? Visit the Travel Forum for Budapest and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Budapest hotel reviews

Mercure Budapest City Center
Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 10 Reviews
Boscolo New York Palace Hotel Budapest
Excellent (4.5 out of 5.0) 2 Reviews
Budapest Apartment 4 (Locust Tree Apartments)
Best (5.0 out of 5.0) 2 Reviews