Zonaflat - Shakespeare Opera

dalszinhaz utca 10, Budapest, Hungary

More about Budapest

Matthias ChurchMatthias Church

Imre Nagy monumentImre Nagy monument

View from the dome of Esztergom BasilicaView from the dome of Esztergom Basilica

Liberty Bridge, BudapestLiberty Bridge, Budapest

Tipping in Budapest

by JamesWtc

I've learned that Hungary is a very tip-conscious country and tipping is customary, even doctors and dentists accept gratitude money. I'm getting my dental work done in Budapest and I wonder if I should do so too to be polite? And how much should I give if required.

Thank you!

by HORSCHECK

Hello James,

I can't really comment on tipping at doctors.

Only I can say that I have been to Budapest now three times and I realised that many restaurants directly add up to 12,5 % tip to your bill in teh city centre. Sometimes it is stated in the menu, sometimes the waiters just do it if they think they can ripp you off.

Since my last visit to Hungary last year I am now very annoyed about tipping in Hungary and I wouldn't give any tip except I really think that the person was really nice, attentive, fair and didn't try to cheat me.

I think I am an experienced East European traveller as I have been to many East European countries since 2002 and the only bad experiences regarding tips happend to me in Hungary. Okay, taxi drivers in Eastern Europe also usually ripp tourists off, but this seems to be a local custom and probably has to be accepted. ;-)

I hope this helps

HORSCHECK

by fischert

Hi,

Yes you are right hungarians are tip-conscious at many places in some cases even doctors. But this is tipical only if you take public medical attendance. I think you take a private medical service. Those places you pay a "real" price thus you don't have to pay extra tip, and I think those doctors won't take it. At private medical places i pay only the amount they charge for me, they are not waiting more.

Tamás

by JamesWtc

I didn't get a chance to dine out in restaurant since I wasn't able to eat after teeth extraction. :) But yeah... I was confused too there as everything's in Hungarian and the larger currency denominations will take sometimes to familiar with. :)

by JamesWtc

Thanks for the useful tips. Yeah.. I go for private dentist in Budapest.

by HORSCHECK

Oh and please note that my name is not horsecheck, but HORSCHECK. It has nothing to do with checking horses, but has a very different meaning, which is another story.

HORSCHECK

Haha... Sorry... an extra "E" :D

by danbp

I can confirm that you are not expected to tip when paying for a private medical service. As for dining out...I only give a tip when I'm satisfied with the service (that means, I'm not giving it to be polite) or when I'm at a place I regularly go to (so that I'd get good service the next time too). And, rarely though, sometimes I just can't believe a place can really work with such low prices (this mainly applies to rural restaurants and mainly pubs), so I give a tip to contribute to maintining the place. (It's quite like going to churches as a tourist and donate some money for maintenance.) But this is rare.

Travel Tips for Budapest

Hõsök tere (Heroes' Square)

by IngaA

Big square in Pest side, near City Park. There is a monument made as a semi-shpere with suatues of the Hungarian kings.
In the very centre there is a big column with an eagle on the top and the statue of Hunns' leader Atilla on the horse.

Old Town Part One

by cobrioc

The walled castle District is the premier destination for visitors , and contains some of Budapest's most important monuments and museums. It consists of two district parts: the Old Town , where commoners lived during medieval times, and the Royal Palace , the original site of a castle built in the 13th century.

Szia and hello

by biggeorge

Szia sounds like " seeya " and means kind of hello and goodbye , hungarians also say hello when leaving shops which is a bit confusing. Also if you happen to wandering around district VIII ,and hear a drawn out " Sziaaaaaaaa" it's the local prostitutes way of greeting potential customers.

Abdurrahman Abdi Pasha

by Sirvictor

Abdurrahman Abdi Pasha was the last governor of Buda. He defended Buda for a long time againts hundred thousands of Austrian army after the defeat of Turks infront of Vienna in 1683. He was 8o years old and killed in action bravely. The good Hungarians never forget him and buried him in the Buda castle marking a stone on his grave. "He was a brave hero. May he rest in peace." The grave of the pasha is still exist at Buda castle.

Museum of Commerce and Catering

by Heniko

The old 18th century inn at No. 4 Fortuna utca now houses a small but interesting museum dedicated to the history of confectionery and pastry shops. If you have small children, then this perhaps is a better place to visit than some of the other more austere museums on Castle Hill.

Comments