Centrum Pension

Booking.com Priceline.com eDreams

More about Debrecen

Approach to MuseumApproach to Museum

Saint Anne`s churchSaint Anne`s church

The fountain in Kossuth ter (square)The fountain in Kossuth ter (square)

Debrecen PlazeDebrecen Plaze

Visiting Debrecen

by olchikk

Good evening
I am planning to visit Debrecen in summer and that's why I got couple of questions. Will be pleased to get a response and advises.
I am flying to Budapest. As I understand from previous posts there is a train terminal at Ferihegy 1. So the first question: is it easy to get a train ticket? I mean if there are ticket boxes or ticket desk. If it is a desk, are people there speaking English? if it's a box is there information in English? I am afraid that I am not able to speak or understand Hungarian :)
From time table I see there are many trains going to that direction. Is there difference between those trains? Are there always tickets available? The time of my arrival is around 4pm
OK let's think that I found tickets, train and arrived to Debrecen successfully. I suppose to stay in Nagyerdo hotel. I found on the map there is a tram line. Where can I buy ticket? I could not see what stops the tram makes. Will be the stop far from hotel? How many stops is it from railway station? Is there information about stops inside the train?
That's enough for now. I hope to get some answers. Who knows maybe then new questions appear on my mind.

by Ziu9

Hello!

For which terminal will your plane arrives? If it arrives to Terminal 2, you will have to get on bus 200E, which takes you to Terminal 1. They are not near to each other (~10 minutes long bus journey).

You can get a train ticket in the Tourinform office of Terminal 1. (Yes, there is a ticket box in the train stop also, but It's much complicated to use that.)

Direct trains to Debrecen after 4 PM:

Intercity: 16.43,17.43 (except saturday),18.43,19.43 (except saturday). Journey time to Debrecen 2 hours 9 minutes, ticket price 3630 HUF + 540 HUF (compulsory Intercity-supplement and seat reservation)= 4170 HUF (~15€)
Except friday evenings, usually there are enough seats avaliable.

Fast train: 16.48,18.48,20.48. Journey time to Debrecen 2 hours 43 minutes, ticket price 3630 HUF. No seat reservation avaliable.

In Debrecen, the tram (line 1) starts from the station. You can buy a ticket at the terminal of the tram. You should take off at Aquaticum stop (10 stops from the station, 15 minutes long journey).

by olchikk

Thank you very much for information. Yes I arrive to terminal 2. For sure at the airport there are people speaking English. I did not know that it's possible to buy ticket in tourist information office. Thanks for advice :-)

by danbp

The difference between train types (InterCity and fast trains) is that InterCity trains require a seat reservation and an InterCity supplement (so give the train name or departure time when buying your ticket), so you will surely have a seat (which is important on a busy Friday or Sunday afternoon). Rarely though, but seats for IC trains might be sold out - that can not happen in the case of a fast train as there is no reservation available.

InterCity trains have air conditioning and are cleaner than fast trains. There is an on-board magazine available and smoking is banned. Smoking is a problem in the case of fast trains as quite a lot of smoking passengers don't care much about non-smokers.

Fast trains are better in case you'd like to enjoy the landscape (which does not vary much on the Great Plain, but might still be interesting), as you can just hang out a bit from the window and enjoy the fresh air blowing your head off :) And it's a bit of travelling back in time, as most carriages in fast trains are aged 30 or more...

Travel Tips for Debrecen

So you gotta know i was there...

by Zem

So you gotta know i was there many times to visit friends. F.e. once to Kónya Zsuzsi's. I didnt need it but they wanted to show me their city. Uh - ive said -all right then. And they have brought me to the Deri Museum. Think youre there ya gotta see it cos this is marvellous. Its true its more fabulous for me because i know who was Munkácsi Mihály. He was a great painter. And he has painted a serie in the end of the XIX. century. A trilogy. The first was Krisztus Pilátus elõtt (Crist in the front of Pilat) It was made in 1881
Olaj, vászon, 417 x 636 cm
Déri Múzeum, Debrecen (sorry but i dont have humour to translate this)

Well this is the third part of...

by Zem

Well this is the third part of the trilogy. It is interesting that that was the first time (i was there about 1992...sg) when every three was together. F.e. this 'Ecce Homo!' have been painting in 1896. After 15 years as the first. The master havent seen them together either! But I could! In the Déri Museum in Debrecen.
Olaj, vászon, 403 x 650 cm

DEBRECEN

by ViajesdelMundo

"OUR INTRO TO EASTERN EUROPE"

This is the first place we stayed in Eastern Europe and we found the city to be delightful, but a little difficult to get around very far or to even find out what there was to see. We made friends with a local woman and she referred us to a reliable taxi driver to take us out to the countryside areas and get to EGER, where we wanted to taste some wines. We frequently purchase wines from that region, here at home in Mexico, but we were rather disappointed with the tastings.

Debrecen

by Levente_D

"The Calvinist Rome"

Debrecen, the second biggest city of Hungary, is an important cultural center of the country. For short time was also home city of the parliament exiled from Budapest. It is also called the Calvinist Rome because of it's massive protestant community and the church situated in down town that is Central Europe's largest protestant church. Debrecen is in the middle of the Great Hungarian Plate called Pannonia or Hortobágy so if you go and see this attraction of the country you can make a stop in Debrecen and try Hungary's tasty meals like the traditional Hungarian Goulash (Gulyás) or the Beef Stew (Marha Pörkölt). Go and see it yourself!

Comments