Hunguest Hotel Szieszta Sopron

See Popular Hotels

Hiking and Walking Budget Travel
See Amenities
SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

Nice hotel in countryside surroundings

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 15, 2006

I stayed at the Hotel Hunguest Szieszta for 2 nights in January 2006.

This huge hotel (with 280 rooms) is located a 25 minute walk south of the city centre. The quickest way to get from the town centre to the hotel is along Zrinyi Utca, but this is a steep uphill climb in parts (consequently, the journey into town is largely downhill). Alternatively, walk along Lover Korut, but this adds a further 10 minutes onto the journey. For those who don't like to walk, bus #1 runs between the hotel and the town.

The area surrounding the hotel, known as Loverek, is largely scenic countryside. The hotel is set amongst forests and there are several hiking trails nearby.

Of the 280 rooms, 212 are Classic Doubles, 54 are Superior Doubles and 14 are Suites. The hotel was originally built in 1973 and was renovated in 1998 - but some of the Classic rooms haven't yet been renovated. The room I stayed in (which I believe was a Classic Double) cost a very good value 29 Euros per night in January - which also included a large buffet breakfast.

All rooms have a bath, a balcony with great countryside views, TV (a handful of Hungarian and Austrian channels and Eurosport), telephone and minibar. There were 2 beds in my room and 2 chairs, as well as a wardrobe and a few drawers. I particularly enjoyed the view from the balcony over the snow-covered forests.

The room was very well heated and remained hot even with my window opened. On several occasions in the night, I ventured out on to the balcony to cool off. With temperatures significantly below zero, I soon came to appreciate the stifling heat of my room.

The en-suite bathroom was clean, but for some reason someone had had the idea of hanging the washing lines from the wall along the bath. This made it impossible to stand fully upright in the shower without poking my head through the lines.

Unique Quality: Breakfast is served between 7 and 10am in the cavernous dining room, and the choice is very good: 6 types of cereals, a selection of yoghurts, different types of bread and a toaster to toast it in, slices of cheese, cold cuts of meat and sausages, croissants with jam in, a selection of jams, marmelades and cottage cheese, boiled eggs, orange juice, pineapple juice, ice cold water, a huge selection of fruit teas, coffee and hot chocolate.

I also understand that the chefs will cook eggs and sausage the way you choose. On my final morning, one of the waiters asked me something in Hungarian. I didn't understand. I tried speaking German. He didn't understand. He disappeared to reception and came back a few minutes later with a notepad containing the words "eggs" and "sausage". I politely declined.

The hotel has many on-site facilities such as a bar/cafe (with a pool table), a few conference rooms, a small shop in reception selling newspapers, souvenirs and a few essential items (in my case, batteries for my camera).

There is also a fitness centre (50% discount for guests), which includes a sauna, a solarium, a jacuzzi, a steam bath, showers and a gymnasium. I never used it. Guests also get free access to the nearby Lover swimming pool which is located a 5 minute walk from the hotel. Guests arriving by car can use the large hotel car park for free.

In the summer months, it is possible to use one of the hotel's 6 clay tennis courts and to employ the services of a professional coach - but in January, the courts just lay under a cover of snow.

I enjoyed my stay at this hotel, but I imagine it is much more enjoyable in the summer when it is in full swing and all the facilities are operating. I imagine it is also much more expensive in the summer months - the off-season rate of 29 Euros was fantastic value!

Directions: In the area of Loverek, a 25 minute walk south of the town centre.

ostia's Profile Photo

Hotel Szieszta

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 16, 2005

All rooms has balcony with view to the forest. Minibar, telephone, TV. Renewed bathrooms for Superior rooms. If you book Superior room, free access to all wellness possibility: saune, steam-cabin, fitness club, jacuzzi, pool with three kind of wellness elements (sparkling water, waterfall, water massage). You can rent bike at the reception.
If you show your voucher at City Pool (near hotel Szieszta) - entry is free.
If you order half-board accomodation, you can choose dinner or lunch. Four types of main course, two types of soup, dessert, salad-bar. All you can eat.

Directions: L?v?rek area, up on the hills
Take bus No 1 or 2. Take off at Hotel Maroni station. Appr. 10 minutes from Railway station.

Nearby Hunguest Hotel Szieszta Sopron

• Fitness Center
  • Business Services
  • Pets Allowed

Sopron Travel Forum

Need advice about Sopron, Hungary? Visit the Travel Forum for Sopron and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Sopron hotel reviews