Aranyhajo Fogado

Aranyhajo Fogado
Booking.com Priceline.com Agoda.com

Satisfaction Average

More about Pecs

once there was strong Jewish community in Pecsonce there was strong Jewish community in Pecs

people pass, people stoppeople pass, people stop

Zsolnay fountain decorated with eosin glazeZsolnay fountain decorated with eosin glaze

Pecs CathedralPecs Cathedral

best way to go Budapest- Pécs

Hi everybody,
I was wondering if I'd rather take a train or bus to get from Budapest to Pecs.
Trains seem a bit expensive 3890-4250 Fiorint one way...is there a discounted return ticket? I'm a 25 year-old student if there's a related discount.

Is the only bus company available Volanbusz?from which bus stop (couldn't find it in the search)

by danbp

A full-fare coach ticket to Pecs costs 3630 HUF. Buses depart from Nepliget bus station, located at Nepliget metro station. The bus station is also accessible by trams 1 1A and buses 103 254E.

On trains, there is a 33% weekend-only discount available to EU and EEA residents aged under 26 years. This discount applies from 10 AM Friday till midnight (24:00) Sunday. Note that it's only the train fare from which the discount is given, InterCity supplements and seat reservations are not discounted. So you'll have to pay 2610 HUF on local (szemely) and skip-stop (sebes) trains, while on IC trains you pay 2970-3010 HUF depending on train.

by sterne84

Thanks a lot Dan,very helpful :)
When you say couch you mean Volanbusz or also other companies?

by sterne84

ooops...coach of course...not couch...otherewise it would be a little slow to get to Pecs puttting wheels under a couch..ehehe :)

by GyuriFT

I fully agree with Peter, except that Osijek is to far in Croatia, Beli Manastir is the Croatian border station, that is even cheaper.

The round-trip between Budapest and Beli Manastir is 22 (more precisely: 21.92) Euro. MÁV will convert it at 280 Forint = 1 Euro rate, so Budapest-Pécs-Beli Manastir round-trip is 6160 Forint.

What is good: you can use any train, interrupt your journey, etc. for a month. For IC train you will need the usual supplement/reservation tough. You will save about 800 Forint each way compared with the domestic ticket.

by sterne84

Thanks a Lot Péter and Gyuri for the very detailled answers :))
I'll certainly use this trick to save up some money and have the chance to see something more of beautiful Hungary or Croatia ;))
Yes, I know it's the the capital of culture :)),very nice events coming ;))...definitely the right moment to come visiting my friends in Pécs,isn't it?

Thanks a lot indeed for all the ideas...I'm thrilled about this travel :D

Hi guys,
I have another question ;)
I tried to search for the ticket on the Hungarian railway site and following your hint I selected the 33% reduction for youths younger than 26...
well ...I can find discounted tickets for 2610 huf on every day of the week...how is that possible?
maybe I can't find them when I'll buy them directly at the ticket office?

and is it possible to buy the tickets on line?I tried but the platform seems to be just in Hungarian.

Thanks a lot Péter!! :)
Good to know that I don't need to book the tickets in advance (when I was in Russia we had to book them some weeks before to find a place...)

Is the 50% discount for student just for Hungarian students?
I have the "Student Id card" from ISIC...I don't know if that's the same...

Thankssss :)

Travel Tips for Pecs

Informations for Pecs

by popi3

Before organize a trip in Pecs look a great pages of pecsihornet about his homeland Pecs and visit this page http://www.pecs.hu/english/index.php for more informations and with a great Virtual Tour in Pécs.

Mosque or church?

by croisbeauty

Belive it or not, but this is the interior look of the Gazi Pasha Hassan Mosque which is not different then any other mosque I've seen, except for the frescoes. Yes, the traditional muslim motives are combined by the catholic frescoes. Morover, you can see the catholic priests on the altar, which looks more like an stage, during the service.

The Post Office

by croisbeauty

The Post Office, which is situated in Citrom street, use to be a Saint Benedict Monastery, sorry if I have missunderstand the guy who told me that. The whole building is nicely decorated with the Zsolnay ceramics and it looks very attractive.

Experience the people!

by VathekNet

Took a bus to a small village where my great-grandfather is from. Unfortunately, I miscommunicated with the bus driver with bad German and almost got stranded. Since it was a Saturday and there were NO hotels, thought I was going to sleep in the streets until I found someone leaving their house.

They spoke German, helped me to a free beer and drove me around a bit. After refusing to accept $, I left with beer in hand back to Pecs.

Fun little experience (except the part when I thought I was going to be stranded).

The church at Mariagyud

by shrimp56

The church at Mariagyud. This is a 'healing' church. The wall to the right of the altar are filled with little plaques made of hammered silver requesting healing or good fortune for the body part or profession representedon the plaque. Then there are also the small marble plaques giving thanks in Croatian or Hungarian. Pictures are not permitted inside.

Comments