Fonix Hotel

HORSCHECK's Profile Photo

Hotel Fönix

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 16, 2014

At the beginning of September 2013 I stayed 3 nights in a single room of Hotel Fönix. It was also the start of my two weeks trip through 4 Central European countries.

I had booked my room about 15 days in advance by e-mail directly with the owner, who was very friendly and helpful. As on the day of arrival I came by late train from Budapest, he even waited for me at an agreed time at the hotel, which doesn't have a 24 hours reception.

I paid approximately 7000 HUF (ca. 20 Euro) per night. The price included a good mixture of a set and buffet-style breakfast, which was served on the top floor of the building.

My ensuite room was equipped with a minibar, a TV, a cupboard and a desk. Although very small it absolutely fitted my needs.The free WiFi worked fine. I would definitely stay here again.

Directions: Hotel Fönix is located only about 50 metres north of the central square Szechenyi ter, right in the heart of Pecs' city centre. All sights as well as the train and bus station can be conveniently reached on foot.

picek's Profile Photo

taking something central and affordable

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 3, 2012

We took two rooms as we were 5 people. One for two in number 10 was only 28 euro priced, and was bit dark and very tight, could suit better for one person I suppose.
We had room for 3, which is alltogether different story than previous room: spacious with one french bed and one normal bed. It cost us about 50 euro per night equivalent in HUF.
Breakfast was served between 7 - 10 am in upper floor, just below the roof. Normal breakfast that was - eggs, omlettes, cereals, something warm to drink.

Unique Quality: I think the price is okay for the location, also for the cleanliness of rooms and quality of service, though the small one should be less I belive.
This hotel was designed upon a plan of a renowned architect, but from outside it wouldn't look whole that interesting. Real charm lies inside with its monumental, airy stairs which vertically connect the building from entry on a ground floor till the breakfast niche just below the roof. A reception is just in middle between two.
Staff speaks very good english and is helpful.
Hotel closes after 8 pm that's why the check in must be done before it; upon signing in, you're issued kexs to open the main doors so that you can come and leave as you wish.

Few nice views towards streets below extend from the rooms, though I thought the windows are little small, but nevertheless, we spent most of our time outside anyways.
It's dynamic building, which is one of the best things about the whole thing... I think every room is different, from what I saw on its plan.
There's also a restaurant in a ground floor from other entry and a small grocery shop; the garden looked very nice with fine terrace but we didn't sit outside there in winter.

As for parking: 3000 HUF comes 24 hr ticket, or 400 HUF per hour. This is public parking place which belongs to city, but there is place for a few cars right next to hotel. For the parking ticket, ask at the reception.

Directions: in centre next to the main square (slightly behind a mosque)

Excellent location

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 12, 2005

One block to center of the town, this interesting hotel has loads of charm. We had room #1, which has a little balcony overlooking a square. The rooms have recently been redone and are a decent size. They serve a decent breakfast and the english speaking staff are friendly and helpful. Very good value.

Djinn76's Profile Photo

Fõnix Hotel

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 10, 2003

We arrived quite late in Pecs and since this hotel was mentioned in our book guide, we decided to give it a try. Luckily enough they still had enough rooms for us…
This has nothing to do with a 4 or 5 stars hotels (in this case, the must in Pecs, would probably be the Palatinus) but it also has its own advantages. It was perfectly located, in the historical centre, not far from the main square. The reception speaks perfectly English. And even better, its architecture was quite surprising too. In fact everything is organised around the central hall, from the door, you can admire the roof a couple of floors above… You first had to climb several range of stairs to arrive to the reception, from there some more stairs and you arrive under roof, that’s where to get the breakfast…
The room was not luxurious but perfectly clean and comfortable… Would be the perfect place to stay for people who don’t want to pay the price of a higher class hotel….

Nearby Fonix Hotel

9 Photos of Fonix Hotel

View Professional Photos

Amenities at Fonix Hotel

• Continental Breakfast
  • Pets Allowed
  • Free High Speed Internet

Pecs Travel Forum

Need advice about Pecs, Hungary? Visit the Travel Forum for Pecs and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Pecs hotel reviews

Synagogue
Arizona Ranch
breathing with past
Things to Do
served in non touristy area
Restaurants
interesting concept and very nice food
another new monumental building
Csontváry Museum in City of Pécs
Visit the village of Cserkut ..village life
at the cathedral square
Things to Do
take a walk into side streets
Off The Beaten Path
Franciscan church
Things to Do
sculptures and stones of Szechenyi square
some outstanding facades