Kossuth Lajos 16, Szentendre, 2000, Hungary
Booking.com Priceline.com

More about Szentendre

The train station of SzentendreThe train station of Szentendre

souvenirssouvenirs

Shop as seen from the main squareShop as seen from the main square

Serbian Orthodox Cathedral, SzentendreSerbian Orthodox Cathedral, Szentendre

Travel Tips for Szentendre

English-language guidebook

by csordila

Since there is a lack of any English-language guidebook, here is my proposal onto the title page of the "Eyewitness Travel Guide to Szentendre" being published once. If only I could see this once in the bookstore's shop-window

Orthodox

by azrael99

One thing I noticed about Szentendre was it's Serbian Orthodox influences. The Plague Cross in the town square is covered in Icons, plus there is the amazing Serbian Orthodox Eclesiastcal Museum. Walking about the Museum looking at Icons - there was just something so "Other Word" about them. Hard to put into words.

The tourism influence in the last decade

by csordila

If this was once a town that time forgot, it was only a temporary amnesia. The tourist influx of the last decade has created a series of contrasts that open the mind's eye. Stout peasant women in babushkas lick cones of gelato, over the door of a restaurant advertising "O Magyar" (Olde Hungarian) cuisine hangs an American flag, and the driver of the horse carriage for hire listens to rap music -- all but drowning out the rhythms of village life.

Grapes are gathered - here's the wine!

by rexvaughan

As we made out way from the train station into town we encountered a small but colorful and enthusiastic parade. There were young people in bright costumes holding a large bunch of grapes at the head followed by decorated horse drawn coaches with older people also in costume and having an obviously good time. Then I saw the reason for the very happy mood. One of the ladies had a huge jug of wine which she had obviously been enjoying and she was offering it all round even to the gawking tourists. Of course I went over and she gave me a small plastic glass. I don't know what the wine from this region is called, but it goes down pretty well.

At the end of our visit, on the way back to the train, we saw a dance in progress which I think was the culmination of the day's festivities. It didn't look like Hungarian folk dancing - more like swing or Zydeco but they were obviously having a great time.

Gardeners are everywhere

by rexvaughan

This tip could apply to almost anywhere you visit. I always enjoy walking through cities and seeing where people live and how their houses and gardens look. I am amazed at how many really lovely little gardens there are wherever you go.

This building is quite attractive, particularly the entryway. It is on a main street and sadly anywhere in the world it seems that you have to secure your home. I love the decorative grillwork they have used on the windows. They have managed to secure these portals and at the same time add to the attractiveness of their home. Of course I also love the roses and other blossoms in the garden. Private small gardens like this always inspire me to return and work on mine.

Comments