Praga u 3, Nyiregyhaza, 4400, Hungary
Travelocity Booking.com Priceline.com

More about Nyiregyhaza

Nyiregyhaza to Ukraine(Ungvar)

by Jerry41

My wife and I need to somehow get to Ungvar(Uzhhrod)Ukraine on Sunday May 10, 2009. We will be staying in Nyiregyhaza for a few days (May 8, 9). can someone suggest some way to travel to the final destination of Ungvar. I understand that there is no direct travel by train due to the different railroad tracks. Is there any bus service out of Nyiregyhaza to another town where we can obtain travel by train or by bus into the Ukraine and on to Ungvar? What about traveling to Zahony, Hungary and then perhaps a train or bus into Ungvar(Uzhhorod)Ukraine?
Please, our time is running short so we would appreciate any help or advice. Once we get to Ungvar our driver and translator will meet us but he will not travel outside of Ungvar to pick us up.
Thanks,
Gerald Kisabeth
Canton, Michigan USA

by kopvas

There is a direct regular bus running from Ungvar to Nyiregyhaza everyday, it runs from Ungvar at 5:30am and back in Ungvar at about 6pm, so you just need to find out the exact time, when it starts from Nyiregyhaza into Ungvar direction (taking into consideration distance and border I would say -3 hours, but better to recheck)
Plus you can use a train, there are 6 pairs of trains Zahony-Chop (see http://elvira.mav-start.hu/elvira.dll/xslms/uf), train ride from Nyiregyhaza to Zahony is as well pretty easy and takes app. 1+ hour. From Chop there are multiple minibuses run to Ungvar like every 10-20 minutes
Once in a day you can ride directly from Nyiregyhaza to Chop without change in Zahony, but this connection gets you in Chop at 1+am Ukrainian time...

P.S And by the way, European tracks (1435mm) run into Ukrainian territory too, especially near Chop and Slovakia-Romania transit corridor via Ukraine ;)

by Jerry41

Thank you very much kopvas for the information. We have been trying to obtain this information for a few weeks but until your excellent email we were not sure if we could even get into the Ukriane. My wife's grandparents were from 2 small villages near Ungvar & Muckacheve so it is important for us to see these villages.
I hear many bad things about the border crossings into the Ukraine and about tipping the border guards. Does anyone have good things to say about the border crossing? Also,we are completely new to this traveling, as our only language is English. Would it be very difficult getting from Nyiregyhaza to Zahony to Chop and minibus to Ungvar not knowing the languages or Cyrillic spelling? Can some ticket sales people help us ?
Thanks,
Gerald
America

by kopvas

Border crossing is not bad and not good - it's simply regular to eastern Europe. This means that if don't carry any prohibited items (list of those you can find on customs websites of both countries) you will be fully OK. When you leave Hungary border guards and custom people actually don't care at all. When you enter Hungary they do care a lot only about amount of cigarettes and alcohol that you are carrying with you. Ukrainians primarily concerned about coins, icons and other antique stuff.
Use of English in the region is not that common, so you might have some problems, but my advice - hands and piece of paper will always help - just write down you route and give it to the cashier (if it is about ticket), border guards usually know a little English or they will just call some other guard for a conversation.
Minibuses from Chop to Ungvar park right before the Chop railway station - square in front. Just say "Uzghorod" and drivers will point you to the right one. My advice - don't use taxi, it is too expensive + taxi drivers really like to cheat on those who travel in the region for the first time (for instance, minibus from Chop to Ungvar costs app. 5 UAH, taxi drivers will announce at list 100 UAH or even more)

by 68maciek

I have been to Uzhorod few years ago for one day trip from Slovakia (Uzhorod is just behind the border).
I think that officers behave in certain manner at every border in Poland,Ukraine, Germany or U.S (put whatever country you want). They are often a bit arrogant and want to show the power if they have opportunity to do it (our world has changed significantly after joining Schengen treaty).
N.B Hungarian ones were always very kind for me (but perhaps it is because we and Hungarians have very positive atitudes each other.
However in this part of the world Americans are usually treated with the special and positive attention at the border in my opinion.
Just in case- nothing to be scared, but be prepared for arrogancy and be patient for beaurocracy.

by danbp

Ungvar - Uzhorod in Cyrillic looks like a
letter Y, then a spider, a letter L upside down, O, P, O, and a character similar to letter A.
Check here http://uk.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%A3%D06%D03%D0E%D1%80%D0E%D04