Hotel Edda - Akureyri

Tags

Road Trip Family Travel
See Amenities
Regina1965's Profile Photo

Hotel Edda - an Icelandic hotel chain.

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 18, 2010

Hotel Edda is a chain of hotels which are only open during the summer months as they serve as a school during the winter months. When I stay in Akureyri I camp or stay at Brekkusel guesthouse. But there was a summer offer on certain dates at Hotel Edda in Akureyri and it was cheaper than staying at a guesthouse so I jumped at the chance.

It is a lovely hotel with spacious rooms. I opted for a room with a washbasin, with the showers and toilets being in the corridor. The room itself though was a little colourless (grey), seeing this is a school in the winter time. And the beds could not be pushed together, so we had to sleep in separate ends of the room. And in my room the pillows were really tiny, like baby-pillows, so I had to get my pillow from the car. But apart from this I was very happy with my stay, this hotel has a pure "hotel feel" to it.

On the ground floor there is a bar and a lounge area with a piano and a TV and a pool table. On each floor there is a sitting room with lovely sofas. Everything is up to par in this hotel. And I will definitely stay there again next time I visit the lovely town of Akureyri.

I add more photos of Hotel Edda Akureyri in a travelogue here.

Unique Quality: In July 2012 I stayed in Hotel Edda again with a friend of mine. We decided on going on a last minute trip to Akureyri and were looking for a place to stay, which is kind of hard - finding anything last minute in July in Akureyri. But there was a vacant room at Hotel Edda on the second night of our stay. So we now needed to find a room for our first night, which we found on the same day as we departed (see my next tip).

This time around we had good pillows and our stay was fantastic. We went to the dining room in the basement and my friend had soup, which was very cheap, only ISK 350. We meant to have tea at the bar, but then decided on going to the restaurant. And we did not regret that, as included in the price of the soup was tea, for my friend and for me as well. So for soup and 2 cups of tea we paid ISK 350 - in a hotel restaurant. At the bar only one cup of tea cost more than that.

For the room we paid ISK 11.800, which is fine, if two people are travelling together and splitting the cost.

Redang's Profile Photo

Hotel Edda Akureyri

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 30, 2008

Hotel EDDA is a highly recommended chain of hotels. They are simple with really clean rooms, and some of them offer very spacious ones; the food is fantastic (I had dinner in some of them) and the staff is very nice.

In reality, they are residents for students used as hotels from May/June to August/September (it depends, so, check the dates). But don't be afraid, some are good, some others, are really fantastic! For example, this one.

Unique Quality: Very spacious room.

Price I really paid: Twin room: 13.600 ISK; breakfast: 900 ISK per person (August '08); free wi-fi free parking in the complex.

1 ISK = 0,008251 € = 0,01213 $ (August ’08).

FreeCloud's Profile Photo

Great idea

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 14, 2007

We stayed at this modern college student dorm turned-to summer time hotel for two nights. It seems a top tourist group place, many tourist buses parked behind the building.

The room was simple but very clean and comfortable.

It is only 10-15 minutes walk to Akureyri historic center, where many good restaurants and a pedestrain shopping area located.

maartenw's Profile Photo

Reliable Icelandic chain

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 20, 2007

The Akureyri hotel is part of large chain of Edda hotels throughout Iceland. They are well organised and have spotless accomodations. This one was rather big (over 200 rooms).

Like many other Edda hotels this modern building is actually a student residence. They transform boarding schools to hotel accomodation during the long (3 months) summer vacation of the students. (You'll find another one in my Laugarvatn accomodation tips.)

Unique Quality: Spacious rooms and very well equipped. They even have cooking facilities in the rooms. Good breakfast buffet. Excellent service. Large parking. (Though you'll never have much problems finding a parking spot in Iceland.)

Directions: On the corner of Hrafnagilstræti and Þórunnarstræti. In the town. Close to a camping ground and the swimming pool.

Nearby Hotel Edda - Akureyri

• Restaurant
  • Wheelchair Accessible
  • Free Parking

Akureyri Travel Forum

Need advice about Akureyri, Iceland? Visit the Travel Forum for Akureyri and ask our Answer Gurus.

Explore Deeper into Akureyri
Wandering around
Things to Do
Send Santa Clause a letter.
Culture House Hof
10-11? 10-4!
Shopping
Akureyri International Airport
Transportation
The Information center and bus terminal.
EYJAFJÖRÐUR.
Things to Do
Feeding the ducks and geese on the pond.
Things to Do
An awesome vintage/antique shop in Akureyri.
Shopping
2 companies doing shceduled tours in the nort
Transportation
Take a photo with the parents of the Yulelads.
Things to Do
The Akureyri swimming pool.
Things to Do
Check out the cruise liners by the harbour.
Things to Do
The obligatory stop at Brynja to buy ice-cream.
Blonduos
Godafoss
Akureyri Museum
The Museum Church
Things to Do
The old church by Nonnahús museum in Akureyri.
Tours around Akureyri
Transportation
A restaurant worth its price
Restaurants
Lystigarður Akureyrar (Botanical Garden)
The blue pot