Akureyri Hotels

Our Members Say

• jojes profile photo jojes
  • Reviews: 214

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Saeluhus: Great place to stay!

During our second visit to Iceland in march/april 2013 we stayed in Akureyri for 5 nights.

We decided on staying in Sæluhús and haven’t regretted it for a bit! Everything went smooth from start to finish.

There are several studio type apartments and some bigger houses for rent.
All have a view overlooking the fjord.

The apartments are divided in several clusters of 4 apartments each, all on ground floor (thus accessible for the physically impaired). Each apartment has it’s own private entrance.
There are 2 types of apartments: with or without private hotpot. The apartment are about equal in size, but as the ones with hotpot are on the outside of each cluster, they have a larger terrace to offer space for the hotpot. The apartments without hotpot are for 2 persons (an extra bed can be provided for extra charge). The ones with hotpot have a fold away bed (135x195cm) (see pic. 3 - 'closet' to the right) and can accommodate 4 persons.

The kitchenette has 2 hotplates, a microwave, a dishwasher and a refrigerator. There’s also tableware for 4, a coffee maker, kettle and a toaster.

The kitchenette and the sleeping area are in fact one large space, divided by a partial wall.
There is plenty of closet space, as well as a flat screen tv.

The bathroom was spacious enough: toilet, half-round shower, sink and extra storage space.

Upon entering you arrive in a kind of hallway, which also has extra storage space (large enough to store your suitcases).

The only downside was the (free) wifi-connection. Most of the times the signal wasn’t coming through decently, so it mostly took some time to get to a page.

There’s plenty of parking space on the private grounds right in front of the buildings, so no need to drag your luggage all over the place.

It’s at the outskirts of the town, but since Akureyri isn’t all that big that isn’t much of a probem. The Akureyri church f.e. is less than a kilometre away.
If you walk down the hill for about 300 metres, you’ll reach Iceland’s most famous ice-cream shop – Brynja.
The airport is about 1,5 kilometres away.
Closeby are several supermarkets which have everything you need if you want to cook yourself instead of eating out.

I can very much recommend this place when you’re looking for a place to stay in Akureyri.

Next to the administration office there is a service building. Here you can find a washer and dryer. This came in very handy, as we were nearly halfway our trip when we came here and we had some things that could really do with a decent wash. Using these machines was totally free of charge … nice! You have to insert a coin in each of the machines, but the coins were provided in a jar that stood on top. The houses each have their own washer and dryer.

Nice thing was the daily cleaning service. And also no need to do your own end-cleaning when leaving … all included in the price. And always spotlessly clean. Towels and bedlinen were also included.

The owner was very friendly and accomodating. When we couldn’t find out if a certain museum was open (irregular opening times at that time of year) he tried phoning them several times.

• Related to: Family Travel
  • Written February 1, 2014
Tip Photo

Saeluhus - the view from our terrace

• travelfrosch profile photo travelfrosch
  • Reviews: 1023

Gista: Handy Guest Apartment

Gista consists of three apartments in a building not far from the cruise ship docks, ring road bus stop, and official tourist office. The building has one 1-bedroom apartment on the ground floor, and two-bedroom apartments on the second and third floor. We booked the 1-bedroom apartment (with a sofa bed for Minifrosch) for roughly US$160 per night. The apartment was roomy (though the living room was a bit cramped with the sofa bed folded out) and had excellent facilities, including a kitchen, TV, free wi-fi, and access to laundry facilities. The apartment also includes a complimentary parking space should you rent a car. Be warned, however: there is no reception, and you must call the owner to have someone drive over to the building and let you in. Fortunately, we had a cell phone with an Icelandic SIM card. If you don't, consider a visit to the Tourist Office and have them call Gista for you. If you're arriving at an odd hour, you might seriously consider investing in an Icelandic cell phone (for example, phones and SIM cards are available for sale from Icelandair's onboard "Saga Shop").

- Guest apartments with self-catering facilities
- Free wi-fi
- Access to laundry facilities
- No reception; you must call to check in

• Related to: Budget Travel, Family Travel, Hiking and Walking
  • Written July 16, 2013

Gista

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Akureyri Backpackers: A brand new hostel in the city center.

In July 2012 my friend and I decided on going to Akureyri. It was a last minute kind of trip as we had just come from Landmannalaugar and returned to Reykjavik and wanted to continue travelling. So I started searching for vacant rooms in Akureyri. Finding a vacant room in Akureyri in July with such a short notice is next to impossible. We had found a room at Hotel Edda for the second night of our stay, but my search for a room for the first night was in vain. So we had packed the tent and decided on camping the first night - although neither of us was in the mood to do that.

But in the morning of the day we departed I came across a vacant room at Akureyri Backpackers - and for a reasonable price - ISK 11.180 for a double room. I had never heard of Akureyri Backpackers and it is a hostel, so I packed my pillow and my duvet and off we went after having reserved a room on-line.

We could not believe our luck when we arrived, the guesthouse is located in the very center of Akureyri, on their main street. So the view from our window was of the main stores in the shopping street. I absolutely loved it.

The room was spacious and very clean and they had duvets and pillows in a made up bed, so my duvet stayed in the car the whole time.

When we arrived we were the only ones in the hostel, but later on it got filled with guests. All of them tourists.

We were on 4th floor and there is a balcony there with a great view of Akureyri. I so loved it there and will definitely stay there again.

There are shared toilets on each floor and the showers are in the basement. Akureyri Backpackers just opened a month before we arrived, that is why I had never heard of them before. So they had not finished everything and the showers had the same entrance for men and women, which I found kind of not cool. But they were in the process of fixing that.

There was a big kitchen on the ground floor with all the necessary kitchen utensils. We went to a restaurant so we did not use the kitchen though.

When we checked in and paid we got a coupon for a large beer in the bar, my friend drank hers, but I do not drink beer, so my coupon was kind of wasted on me. I tried to persuade the friendly guy at the bar to change the coupon for a glass of wine, but he was not allowed to do that.

The lounge had very comfortable seats from a bus. There are 2 big screen TVs in the lounge and Internet access plus free wifi.

The only thing that put a damper on our stay were the very loud Irish guys, who had been at a football match - and stayed up until 3 in the morning singing and shouting beneath our window. Our excursion was at 8 in the morning, so we were not amuzed. But this is not the fault of the hostel, our stay there was absolutely perfect.

• Written July 21, 2012

Our room.

• smirnofforiginal profile photo smirnofforiginal
  • Reviews: 965

Thornsteins Apartmenr: in Blonduos

Tucked away, impossibly difficult to find, in the town is this delightful guesthouse. It is actually slap bang in front of the church - no not the weird, giant, back one but the pretty, wooden, green &white one!

It had been very recently refurbished. It may even be possible we were some of the very friest guests, in not the first! Stylishly (modern) decorated with everything you could possibly need. Comfortable, clean. Lovely.

Sleeps a family of 4 (2 bedrooms, bathroom and hige kitchen/diner/living room) €110 for 1 night.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Family Travel, Road Trip
  • Written June 2, 2011

• Erlendson profile photo Erlendson
  • Reviews: 1

Hotel Kea: Enjoyed it.

We only stayed one night. The room was small but clean. Staff was accomodating. I would recommend this hotel to others; we got a special rate as we were off season - special rate meaing the same price as Hotel Harpa. The location was very good.

• Related to: Road Trip
  • Written December 8, 2010

average room

• tim76 profile photo tim76
  • Reviews: 80

Hótel Íbúðir: Big apartment in down-town Akureyri

There is plenty of accommodation in Akureryi. It seemed to me that every other house was a guesthouse. I picked Hótel Íbúðir from the guidebook and was not disappointed.

The first impression is not very favourable. The ground floor is completely empty, except from some dirty mattresses scattered over the concrete floor. It was only when we found the stairs at the back of the hotel that things got better. As is often the case in Icelandic guesthouses, there's no reception and it took a little while before the owner arrived. She gave us her biggest apartment with three bedrooms, a bathroom, a living room and a kitchen. The bathroom had a great shower and the beds were comfortable.

• Related to: Road Trip
  • Written June 7, 2010

• florencegudrun profile photo florencegudrun
  • Reviews: 2

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Akur Inn: It's clean, that's about it

On the positive side- the place is very clean and the bathroom floor in our private bath was toasty warm. From there this place has not much going for it. It may be fine for Icelanders who know their way a round and just want a place to stay, but it is not for tourists who have questions or who do not have cellphones.

We arrived in the pouring rain and had to wait outside a good while for the door to be answered, despite having given the owners a pretty good idea on our arrival time. There is no breakfast despite both the website and their brochure saying in was available for an extra fee.

We saw the host/person-in-charge/owner (who knows because she didn’t introduce herself) for a total of five minutes during the two and a half days we were there - long enough for her to take our money. She did show us where the free juice and coffee were. The TV in the guest lounge has one channel with static. There is no phone access - or if there was we weren't told about it. We had to hike downtown to ask at the information centre to book us a cab for our trip to the airport (which they graciously did - the staff is wonderful)

We were given no instructions on how to contact the host if we needed anything.

My companion wanted to take a glass to our room from the guest lounge for water from the tap and was at first told not to and then the host relented.

No indication was given of where we could find breakfast. We were given info on two restaurants that gave a 15% discount to guests of the inn - one was exceedingly expensive (Rub 23) the other (Greifanum) was a chain-style restaurant which had a North American style menu, prices were on the upper end of reasonable - the portions were huge - if that is what you were looking for. It is also several blocks in the opposite direction to downtown, not a place we'd go again. Excellent food and value for money at a place downtown called the Top Floor. They have fabulous staff.

We wouldn't go back to this guesthouse.

Don't let the elegant exterior appearance of this house fool you. This place has no unique qualities.

• Written September 18, 2009

• florencegudrun profile photo florencegudrun
  • Reviews: 2

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Akur Inn: Clean - that's about it

On the positive side - the place is very clean and the bathroom floor in our private bath was toasty warm. From there this place has not much going for it. It may be fine for Icelanders who know their way around and just want a place to stay, but it is not for tourists who have questions or who do not have cellphones.

We arrived in the pouring rain and had to wait outside a good while for the door to be answered, despite having given the owners a pretty good idea on our arrival time. There is no breakfast despite both the website and their brochure saying it was available for an extra fee.

We saw the host/person-in-charge/owner (who knows, because she didin't introduce herself) for a total of five minutes during the two and a half days we were there - long enough for her to take our money. She did show us where the juice and coffee (free) were. The TV in the guest lounge has one channel with static. There is no phone access - or if there was we weren't told about it. We had to hike downtown to ask at the information centre to book us a cab for our trip to the airport (which they graciously did - the staff is wonderful).

There is no indication of where you can find the hosts if you need them.

No indication was given of where we could find breakfast. We were given info on two restuarants that gave a 15% discount to guests of the inn - one was exceedinlgy expensive with avante gard food for lack of a better word; the other was a chain-style restaurant which had a North American style menu, prices were on the upper end of reasonable - the portions were huge -if that is what you were looking for. Much better food and value for money at a place downtown called the Top Floor. They also have fabulous staff.

There are none.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Written September 18, 2009

• amazingclick profile photo amazingclick
  • Reviews: 130

Countryhotel Sveinbjarnargerdi: Akureyri

This hotel is about 5-10 min from Akureyri on highway 1. The views from there are great although finding it was a bit tough. Just look for the sign on highway 1 called Sveinbjarnargerdi on the right and the only structure there is the hotel. Accomodation was great, people very welcoming and the breakfast very average. I wouldnt recommend eating over there unless you just want to fill yourself up...you could always drive to Akureyri and eat over there.

Great views, free wifi, good accomodation.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Written September 11, 2009

Countryhotel Sveinbjarnargerdi

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Brekkusel guesthouse in Akureyri, N-Iceland.: A guesthouse in Akureyri.

Brekkusel guesthouse is one of the many guesthouses in Akureyri. I have stayed there three times. The location is good, 4 minutes' walking distance from the swimming pool, Samkaup supermarket is just opposite the guesthouse, the campground as well and the botanic garden is just a few minutes' away. The rooms are really cosy, white painted and clean. Some rooms have a shower and WC, others don't, but in the hall there is a very nice bath-room. There is a sitting room with TV and a big, fully equipped kitchen. There are 2 floors, but I have only stayed on the 2n floor, both in a room with a bath and without, and both were equally nice. There is one room though that is very small and I got a bad feeling inside, so I had to change rooms, so if you are sensitive don't stay in there ;) As you can see from the pricelist on their website the price is good, especially if you bring your own sleeping bag.

I stayed there the last time in August 2010 and was disappointed, the room I got was small and dirty and the shower was very dirty. This guesthouse has been my favourite when staying in Akureyri, but I would opt for another place to stay now.

I add more photos of Brekkusel guesthouse in a travelogue here.

• Written September 13, 2008

The bedroom.

Akureyri campground.: Camping next to a supermarket in Akureyri

There are 2 campsites in Akureyri, one right in the middle of the town, at Þórunnarstræti, where I stayed, and one in Kjarnaskógur forest right outside of town, which is called Hamrar. It is an excellent campsite, with good cooking facilities and toilet facilities. The campsite has access to the showers at the swimming pool across the street. You pay at the entrance and are only allowed to drive inside the campsite while unloading and loading your car, but I saw a lot of people not following that rule, and I myself would prefer to have the car parked near the tent.

There is a washing machine and a dryer at the campsite and access to electricity for a small fee.

Camping in the middle of a town is a cheap alternative to staying at an expensive hotel. But if the weather turns out to be awful there is a reasonably priced guesthouse across the street of the supermarket, see my tip on that.

I have camped here on several occasions and find it excellent and surely a cheaper alternative to the hotels and guest-houses in Akureyri.

The campsite is open from early June-September.

Even though I like camping then I am so glad that one of our friends moved to Akureyri and we can now stay in his guest-room when we visit Akureyri.

Right in the middle of town with a supermarket almost on the campground and the swimming pool across the road.

• Written September 4, 2008
Tip Photo

The kitchen- and toilet-area.

• Pieuw profile photo Pieuw
  • Reviews: 1

Gista apartments: The best place to stay in Akureyri

We always try to find apartments to stay in when traveling, as it offers often more comfort and you are more free in our planning. If we want to eat breakfast at 06:00 because when want to leave early we have this freedom. In Akureyri we stayed in apartment from Gista. We came in a clean and nice decorated apartment with all facilities an apartment should have. TV in both bedrooms and in the livingroom, not that we used it, but it was there :-), good kitchen equipments, an OK bathroom, access to the washing room and most important good beds to sleep in. We stayed there for a week and took day trips from Akureyri. What a great country it is!

With two kids it was a real big advantage to have access to the washing room.

• Related to: Hiking and Walking, Family Travel
  • Written April 15, 2008

• travelfrosch profile photo travelfrosch
  • Reviews: 1023

H104 (Formerly Gistiheimili Akureyrar): Centrally Located Guesthouse

UPDATE: Gistiheimili Akureyrar has been re-opened under new management as the H104 Guesthouse.

Our guidebook said accommodation was wide open. However, one of our friends said that hotels could be quite tight in mid-June. We erred on the side of caution and reserved this guesthouse well in advance. As it turned out, many hotels had vacancies when we arrived. Score one for the guidebook.

The guesthouse itself is perfectly serviceable, with a fairly large room and included sink. Two bathrooms were on the floor for six rooms (two additional rooms on our floor had private facilities). For summer 2009, a double room with shared facilities costs Kr 8900, while a room with private facilities costs Kr 10,400.

A minor annoyance was the bed setup: two separate beds on opposite sides of the room. I guess couples don't travel much around here.

Breakfast is served on the top floor starting at 8AM. It was a fairly good buffet spread, but note it costs extra (The website now says it costs a hefty Kr 1250 per person).

One final note: if you're arriving after 8PM, you will need to check in and pick up your keys at Hotel Akureyrar, about 5 blocks south of the guesthouse at Hafnarstræti 67 (just past the bus station).

- Conveniently located in the center of town
- A 10-minute walk to the bus station
- A 35-minute walk to the Airport
- Buffet breakfast on the top floor (costs extra)

• Related to: Budget Travel, Beaches, Hiking and Walking
  • Written July 1, 2007

The Guesthouse

• sarahandgareth profile photo sarahandgareth
  • Reviews: 591

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Akureyri HI Hostel: As cheap as Akureyri gets!

As elsewhere in Iceland, accommodations are not cheap, so the HI hostel was our best budget option, and a step up from cold nights in the tent. Our room was huge, like a big hotel room, with fabulous windows, and the kitchens were pretty decent, generally well-stocked with utensils and cookware (a good thing; with restaurants so expensive, many guests cook for themselves, which is not always the case at hostels in cheaper locations). The owner/manager was very friendly, and we even got free Internet access when we were chatting with him.

On the negative side, the hostel did seem to have something of a problem with dampness, so much so that we spotted what appeared to be mushrooms growing behind one bathroom door! Also, our room happened to be below a large kitchen, and it did get pretty loud, especially as the hostel's quiet time didn't begin until midnight (much later than quiet time in other hostels we've stayed at).

• Written September 13, 2006

• xuessium profile photo xuessium
  • Reviews: 1418

Dalvik: Argeroi Guesthouse: Lovely place off Dalvik: Argeroi

It was a short 1 night stay here; I had planned to come to Dalvik to do some hikes into the countryside only to have 2 things spoilt my plans - a heavy thunderstorm rolled in and claimed most of the day and I caught a pesky flu bug from Husavik.

In the end, I was more or less confined to walks into the town of Dalvik (when the weather decided to let up a little) and around the guesthouse.

The building is stand alone, but if you advise your bus driver accordingly, they will drop you and pick you up just outside the guesthouse. Lovely place, with a river running past by the side of the building and some farms just behind, slightly up the hills. The owner Ari, and family were very friendly; very approachable and like most Icelanders, couldn't believe a Singaporean making this far from home!

I had a room on the basement level (The family lives on the 2nd floor). There was a TV in my room with satelite access to some Danish channels which were showing American TV shows. After almost a week without listening to English shows, it was a welcomed change!! There was a sink in the room but you have to make use of the common shower/bathroom, which was amazingly large and spacious!

I was the only paying guest that day. With the weather ravaging the country, I spent a good some time in the common room reading. Ari sensing my boredom, took me out berries-picking with his daughter and a visiting friend. This was one of my most memorable experiences; picking an abundance of crowberries and bilberries in the rain and then coming back to the warmth of the house, sitting in the kitchen, slurping all the berries goodness up with skyr! (Thanks for the memories!!)

The friendliness of the hosts for one.

The location the other. Once the rain had washed away the greyness of the previous day, the beauty of the location was spellbounding the next morning in the bright crispy sunshine. Blue skies, blue rivers, green countryside. Would have made a heck of a destination to do some serious hiking!

• Related to: Road Trip, Budget Travel, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons